Corsair Community

600W PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable Compatibility?

Slayerazazel

I am needing a compatibility questions answered. The compatibility list/chart for the new 600W PCIE 5.0 12VHPWR TYPE-4 PSU POWER CABLE is very hard to understand. 

I just purchased a HX1200 a month or so ago on special in anticipation of the 4090, which I will be purchasing. But for the life of me I'm not sure if I have deciphered the compatibility list correctly...  https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Is the new 600W PCIE 5.0 12VHPWR TYPE-4 PSU POWER CABLE a Type 4- 8-pin EPS12V cable? That plugs into the EPS/ATX12V (6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU slot)?

If so, then the chart says that my HX 1200 is compatible with the 600W PCIE 5.0 12VHPWR TYPE-4 PSU POWER CABLE?

The chart is honestly very confusing, especially for people that may not know exactly what cables and slots on the PSU are. The 600W PCIE 5.0 12VHPWR TYPE-4 PSU POWER CABLE doesn't state that it's a Type 4 8-Pin EPS12V cable anywhere on the product site. It just says we can use the cable with any Type-4 connector-compatible Corsair power supply via a dual 8-Pin PCIe connection. 

You don't have a MASSIVE range of power supplies. So wouldn't it be easier to have a list of all Type-4 compatible CORSAIR power supply models? Or a list of the exact PSU models compatible with the new 600W PCIE 5.0 12VHPWR TYPE-4 PSU POWER CABLE for the 4090 upgrade to make it easier for everyone to understand.

Like I said, I THINK I have read the compatibility chart correctly, and that the HX1200 is compatible with the new cable for the RTX4090. But not 100% sure which is why I'm still asking here.

(I have also sent in a support ticket a week ago, with no response. Also I have posted in someone else's post with no response)

the connectors on the back of the PSU are not EPS or PCIE per se. They are just.. generic "8 pins sockets" 🙂 The cable that you connect to it is what makes it PCIE or EPS. 

On type 3 and type 4, that connector is a 4 pins line of 12V, and a 4 pin line of ground.  A PCIE will only use 3x 12V from this socket. an EPS cable for the processor will use 4x12V.. I believe the new cable will connect like an EPS one, using all the pins to carry as much power as possible.

They don't really need to list what power supplies are compatible, that would be almost all the Corsair catalog, even models that are no longer sold. All type 3 and 4 PSUs are compatible with this cable since they have the same 8 pin sockets pinouts.

6 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

the connectors on the back of the PSU are not EPS or PCIE per se. They are just.. generic "8 pins sockets" 🙂 The cable that you connect to it is what makes it PCIE or EPS. 

On type 3 and type 4, that connector is a 4 pins line of 12V, and a 4 pin line of ground.  A PCIE will only use 3x 12V from this socket. an EPS cable for the processor will use 4x12V.. I believe the new cable will connect like an EPS one, using all the pins to carry as much power as possible.

They don't really need to list what power supplies are compatible, that would be almost all the Corsair catalog, even models that are no longer sold. All type 3 and 4 PSUs are compatible with this cable since they have the same 8 pin sockets pinouts.

Do you think the AX1200 will support the type4 cable they came out with for this?  The compatibility chart leads me to believe that it won't but wasn't sure.  It does have multiple 8pin plugs on it.

Edited by Arkanian

the AX1200 is not compatible, it has completely different cables. You are right.

I checked out pinout diagrams : the grounds and 12V are reversed, compared to type 3 and 4.

Edited by LeDoyen
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

the AX1200 is not compatible, it has completely different cables. You are right.

I checked out pinout diagrams : the grounds and 12V are reversed, compared to type 3 and 4.

Thank you for confirming, I have been trying to get that information for days.  I even opened a ticket with Corsair but haven't heard from them.  Do you recommend I get HX1200 or wait until ATX 3.0 PSUs start to roll out or do you recommend something else?

AX1200 was one of the last PSU to be made by seasonic for corsair. Here you can see the pinout on the PSU side :

https://www.modders-inc.com/power-supply-pinout-repository/8/

as you are if you get a card, you'll have a squid adaptor for PCIE cables, so you'll still be able to run the GPU on your AX1200, granted it will be pretty ugly. 

Since atx 3.0 PSUs are soon due for release, i'd wait before investing. A PSU is the one device along with the case that you will keep for 8 - 10 years, so, i wouldn't rush now. 🙂

Wait, see what kind of prices they are, I'm pretty sure Gamers nexus, Igor's lab will test the crap out of them and give more food for thought on what to chose for a PCIE 5 compatible GPU.

26 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

AX1200 was one of the last PSU to be made by seasonic for corsair. Here you can see the pinout on the PSU side :

as you are if you get a card, you'll have a squid adaptor for PCIE cables, so you'll still be able to run the GPU on your AX1200, granted it will be pretty ugly. 

Since atx 3.0 PSUs are soon due for release, i'd wait before investing. A PSU is the one device along with the case that you will keep for 8 - 10 years, so, i wouldn't rush now. 🙂

Wait, see what kind of prices they are, I'm pretty sure Gamers nexus, Igor's lab will test the crap out of them and give more food for thought on what to chose for a PCIE 5 compatible GPU.

Thank you, just a lot of information going around on issues using the adapter it comes with where it draws too much power from one of the plugs.  Sounds like I could just get the card and use its adapter for the AX1200.  I might as well wait and see what Gamers Nexus or others have to say once we get some reviews in.

16 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

Thank you for the response. I feel better using the Corsair cable for the hx1200 than using an adaptor from the card manufacturer with all the rumours going around. Even if they are true or not, it just gives that extra piece of mind. (And only using 2 8 pin slots rather than 3 or 4 from the adaptors)

• 4 weeks later...

well yes, it's a titanium PSU

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Have a similar question i would like confirmed before i build.

Does the corsair 600w adapter work on a RTX3090Ti  FE which draws 450w via 3 pcie sockets rather than the 600w?  Also i have a HX1000i psu and am guessing it will work for that?

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/30/2022 at 3:37 PM, LeDoyen said:

"AX1200 was one of the last PSU to be made by seasonic for corsair. Here you can see the pinout on the PSU side :

as you are if you get a card, you'll have a squid adaptor for PCIE cables, so you'll still be able to run the GPU on your AX1200, granted it will be pretty ugly. "

What's the option for Corsair AX1200. Have had it for many years and still like it, but yes the wiring is different thanks for links to modders-inc

Any chance to get the 12VHPWR to work with it with a squid adaptor?

(Having 2x 2080 Ti in NVLink right now but memory pooling isnt really supported anymore by Nvidia so looking into 3090 Ti.)

Best //

AX AXi PCIE.jpg