Corsair Community

Peformance differences between OEM 7000x 140mm fans vs QL140mm?

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi everyone,

Is there a major performance difference between the OEM 7000x 140mm fans vs QL140mm? separate, of course, from the RGB on both sides featured by the QL ones.

What's the performance rank compared to the h170i too?

Many TIA

• Solution

You likely can dig up a professional review of both fans if looking for specific flow rates, but essentially both fans are going to output approximately the same volume of air at the same speed. What is a bit different is blade angle and rear vane design. The SP-Elite are designed to be a bit more focused in their air flow path whereas the QL will blow in a more traditional wide, conical pattern. Which is better?  Depends. One fan or the other might strike a specific temperature sensitive item like RAM or a m.2 drive, but that will be based on the exact case, distance from the front panel, and a few other things you can’t control.

If you had both sets are could do direct comparisons, that would be one thing. However, the reduction of your m.2 temp by -2C is likely irrelevant in comparison to the overall visual effect from the lighting that you enjoy daily. You should make this choice based on the LED visuals. You were discussing using the QL in the side wall and rear exhaust. In those positions the fan blade geometry is going to be meaningless and have no effect on temperature. Do keep in mind that while you physically can mix 8 led fans and the 34 led QL on the Commander Core/XT controllers, you likely want (and need) a separate RGB controller for the QL set to take full advantage of the special ring RGB effects they can do. 

• Thanks 1

Hi c-attack! As usual, thanks a lot for your time, help and insights! I’m now more less done with the fans setup. 
I’ve got the following:

- 7000x 4x iCUE 140mm OEM fans all as exhaust in the top and back connected to the case OEM command core with 2x places I used for side extra fans.

- h170i with radiator installed in the front to the highest point possible and with the h170i fans in the front as intake. I replaced the fans repeater in the back of the case with the h170i command core.

- then 4x iCUE QL 120mm fans on the side.

I spent a lot of time fiddling with those cables and this is the best I could come to 😅

3937960B-A398-4332-A97F-D3C7F93F87B8.thumb.jpeg.1bef5f7432aec0fe666ce15c21e2b7b3.jpeg9150F18D-53EB-4392-8CB4-DB5E6CE3ED2E.thumb.jpeg.da42f226b395f61172266cf7dc04dd30.jpeg1E34B14C-ED83-469F-A090-5330E6966AFD.thumb.jpeg.05085916293b540a56dd073bb1108a1a.jpeg

then basically left the 4x QL 140mm in the box for now to see how it goes.

It’s quite tied space-wise and I am not even installing the PSU cables yet. I found the Obsidian 750d a bit more generous in the back.

Edited by bravegag

So if you are contemplating swapping in the QL for the top and rear, there are no performance concerns. Both fans will do a similar job in exhaust duty. You can choose based on RGB preference. 

Hi c-attack! Thanks a lot for asking! I figured that the only place I care about the RGB lighting for those fans is inside the case (no way to see from above or behind), and if the cooling-wise performance is the same then doesn’t make sense to swap them by the QL ones. I’d rather save the QL ones for a third build using the 7000D case.

Posted (edited)

A quick follow-up:

I wanted sound without compromise so bought the Creative AE-9 which lands millimeters close to the GPU from below. I have no choice but to use that PCI-E X1 slot, because I also need the PCI-E 16x 2 for installing a RAID card (which I haven't installed yet as I'm waiting for the Crucial MX500 SSDs to arrive). The ASUS Z690 Maximus Extreme only has 3x PCI-E slots so not much of a choice here to shuffle things around. Then I have the Anti-Sag ASUS ROG Herculx.

For these reasons, I ended mounting an extra QL 140mm iCUE fan at the bottom of the radiator as intake to help the front fans to pull air from the outside, pushing air into this cluster of PCI-E cards harder and I must say it works beautifully. From the h170i controller I had an extra port available for one more iCUE fan. I have now a total of 8x 140mm iCUE fans, and 4x 120mm iCUE fans 😄

Best!

2022-10-03 10.02.49.jpg

2022-10-03 10.03.18.jpg

Edited by bravegag

.. or just use a studio USB interface and be done with cooling concerns, most likely with even better sound 😛

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

.. or just use a studio USB interface and be done with cooling concerns, most likely with even better sound 😛

Haha good point! I think the Creative AE-9 is top of the line sound-quality-wise 😉 but I will be testing and checking whether there is any temp-quality degradation resulting from the GPU-Sound cards close vicinity. I'm now on my very old PC, which has the much older Creative SB ZxR DBPro connected to their new Creative SB Katana V2 and the sound is a-m-a-z-i-n-g 😄. I will see if I notice an improvement when I finish prepping and swap over to my newest build.

Edited by bravegag

if the actual DAC is on the external module, it could be fine.

It's just that the PC case is a noisy EMF nightmare, the GPU being probably the worst part of it, so any kind of audio device inside is doomed to have a bad noise floor.