Corsair Community

RTX 4090 12VHPWR Cable

Shonk

My Current PC is

HX1500i with corsair 12-pin GPU Power Cable

RTX 3090 FE

Will the Corsair 12-pin GPU Power Cable work with the RTX 4090 if so what is is spec'd upto

as alot of 4090's are going to come with 600w secondary bios's

also will you be releasing a 12VHPWR cable for current gen PSU's?

Corsair need to put a statment out on what the current 12-pin GPU Power Cable is rated upto

as i dont want to go melting the cable

• Corsair Employee

Heya Shonk,

We've just announced our readiness for NVIDIA's 40-Series GPUs, which includes the 600W PCIe 5.0 / Gen 5 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable. This cable is what you would want to use with the RTX 4090, and is compatible with all of our type-4 PSUs.

Of course, GPU and PSU wattage must be taken into account as well - a 600W load requires a 1200W rated CORSAIR PSU or higher. 450W load requires 1000W or higher. 300W load requires 750W or higher. With your HX1500i, I think you're in a comfortable position. 😄

40series-Hero1wide-1.jpg

Question, I have a Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W PSU. With this connector hooked up to a RTX 4090 Founders Edition, what is the effect of the 450W cap going to the card. Will the card automatically detect that it can only supply 450watts? What happens if I push the power limit above 100% (or will it be not allowed), will it simply not do anything? Will it downclock if it hit 450+W to maintain that wattage?

Two additional questions, what happens if I don’t use this cable and instead used the packaged 3 x 8pin/4 x 8pin to 12 pin connector with the graphics card. Will my 1000W PSU still limit it to 450W even with 4 x 8pins connected to the 12 pin adapter? If no, then is there a safety issue with this configuration that would make this 2 x 8 pin to 12 pin load sensing cable better. What are the benefits and drawbacks if any of these two configurations for a 4090 on my 1000W PU

These are important questions as to buyers decisions, prevent damaging components, or even perhaps a fire.

I realise that my HX1500i is Type4 so it will be fine

but whats with (and is compatible with all of our type-4 PSUs.)

So going by that statment HX1200i's being Type-3 wouldnt work..

The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 cables is the pinout of the 24-pin ATX cable; all other cables (SATA, PCIe, etc) are the same.

Also its good to see a cable with the sense pins for 600w

but you didnt answer my question about my current cable is it usable with xxx watt limit (xxx insert answer here)

it will work with any PSU that is type 4 pinout compatible, that includes type 3 (check the description in the cable product page)

you may want to have a look at that too

4 hours ago, TheMaxXHD said:

Two additional questions, what happens if I don’t use this cable and instead used the packaged 3 x 8pin/4 x 8pin to 12 pin connector with the graphics card. Will my 1000W PSU still limit it to 450W even with 4 x 8pins connected to the 12 pin adapter? If no, then is there a safety issue with this configuration that would make this 2 x 8 pin to 12 pin load sensing cable better. What are the benefits and drawbacks if any of these two configurations for a 4090 on my 1000W PU

These are important questions as to buyers decisions, prevent damaging components, or even perhaps a fire.

everytime you add connectors you add contact losses.

You will always have better results if you use a single cable instead of a 12 pin to 8 pins adapter + normal PCIE cables.

The GPU will not sense or adapt to your PSU rating. it will just try to pull the power it needs. If the PSU is too weak or can't handle the transients, the GPU power draw will trigger the PSU overcurrent protection and you will either have video driver reset, black screens, or flat out shutdowns.

Since ATX 3.0 PSUs with better transient response aren't out yet, the solution with current ATX2.x PSUs is to factor in enough headroom to power the GPU reliably.

A 450W RTX4090 may draw close to a kilowatt on very short bursts. 450W is the maximum stable power draw.

Same deal for 3090s rated at 370W, but transients may clock at 700 - 750W.

Keep an eye at Gamers Nexus youtube channel as they are planning to test transients on those cards, that will give you a good idea of what you can expect with your 1000W PSU

• Corsair Employee
8 hours ago, K1llrzzZHUN said:

I have a 2020 Corsair HX1200, is this cable compatible with my PSU?

It is compatible yes

• Thanks 1

Still no stock in on Corsair UK

On 9/22/2022 at 5:39 PM, Corsair Albert said:

Heya Shonk,

We've just announced our readiness for NVIDIA's 40-Series GPUs, which includes the 600W PCIe 5.0 / Gen 5 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable. This cable is what you would want to use with the RTX 4090, and is compatible with all of our type-4 PSUs.

Of course, GPU and PSU wattage must be taken into account as well - a 600W load requires a 1200W rated CORSAIR PSU or higher. 450W load requires 1000W or higher. 300W load requires 750W or higher. With your HX1500i, I think you're in a comfortable position. 😄

40series-Hero1wide-1.jpg

I have 4 Questions:

- How are the Sensepins in the 600W 12VHPWR Cable implemented?

- Could the 12-Pin 300W Cable from the previous 3090FE work on the 4090FE? Excluding the Sensepins, the Cable seems to be the same one as the 600W.

- And i have a SF750 PSU, from the Compatibility List, the 12VHPWR should fit. But is it?  I was going to use it with a 4090FE.

- My current powerdraw, excluding the GPU, is about 150-200W (CPU takes half of it), leaving 550-600W for the GPU. And I will be undervolt and/or powerlimit the GPU by 20%.

Thus the 4090FE will draw only ~360W. That should work with the SF750..or not?

Hi There,

I hope all is well at Corsair!

Has there been any word on when the cable may be available for purchase on the worldwide store (writing in from Australia)?

Am keen to pick up a new psu before the 4090 launches - I would rather not use adapters and stick with just the single cable.

Please get back to me when you can

Kind Regards,

• Like 1

still  0 stock in the uk/eu

e.g. there has never been any

Im just going to order one for a future card

but if i was ordering one on release date i would be upset with corsair now

Edited by Shonk

still zero

• 2 weeks later...

Still Zero Stock

On 9/23/2022 at 3:21 AM, K1llrzzZHUN said:

I have a 2020 Corsair HX1200, is this cable compatible with my PSU?

From my understanding, HX1200 is the type 4 PSU, so that you can use this cable.

By the way, I am using HX1200 too.

I have just ordered a brand new Corsair HX1200 for my 4090. Will the PSU ship with this cable? or  will it ever be back in stock? I  will gladly return the psu  till the cable is back in stock/ wait for an atx 3.0  version of a psu.  I am not willing to take any risk with those 4x1 clunky adapters after spending so much money. ( Also bought a 4000D case that  I like very much and I would like to be able to close the side panel safely) I understand that you have no responsability in what is going on with the new cards but some reassurances would be good for my peace of mind and ultimately your missing profits. Thanks

Edited by ureroll

you can look in the product page listing and / or download the manual. il lists all the cables provided with the PSU. AFAIK it doesn't ship with any power supply so far.

@Corsair - With the current literally HOT topic of these AIB supplied crappy adapters melting inside peoples hard-earned / hard built PCs - when are you going to stock this mythical adapter that we may buy in the EU ?

According to the reddit crowd, this adapter has been available on the US store, and the US store only.  How about giving the rest of your fans and customers some kind of ETA as to when?  I'd really hate to have to go and buy another vendor PSU.

Safety of my family and my house is of upmost importance to myself, and probably many others.  I don't want to have to call the fire brigade.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:38 PM, SpoonerUK said:

@Corsair - With the current literally HOT topic of these AIB supplied crappy adapters melting inside peoples hard-earned / hard built PCs - when are you going to stock this mythical adapter that we may buy in the EU ?

According to the reddit crowd, this adapter has been available on the US store, and the US store only.  How about giving the rest of your fans and customers some kind of ETA as to when?  I'd really hate to have to go and buy another vendor PSU.

Safety of my family and my house is of upmost importance to myself, and probably many others.  I don't want to have to call the fire brigade.

I feel 'ya...the cables haven't been in stock in the U.S. for some time either. Not thrilled about having to use one of these adapter cables in the meantime!

On 10/27/2022 at 4:38 PM, SpoonerUK said:

Any chance this is legitimately in stock?

Corsair 600W PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable - CP-8920284 | CCL (cclonline.com)

Good find dude, but it's showing not available for me.  Damn...

I've ordered what I want from cablemod instead.  Although they're also overwhelmed with orders at the moment apparently.