Corsair Community

Bad Memory?

Sarian

Hey, I've been having some troubles with my memory. Right now, i have 2x 512mb PC3200 XMS series RAM and 'ive been having some stability issues lately. Randomly, the computer would restart or I would get a error saying "Memory cannot be read at (location)" so immediatly i thought something was wrong.

So, i went and pulled the second stick of ram and continued using the computer. All the problems went away! It was rock solid for 2 days straight. I ran memtest... no errors! Great!

Then i took out the first stick and put the second one in. I began getting crashes and the same errors as before to the point where using the computer was almost impossible. I gave memtest a shot and within 10 seconds I was getting errors. In only 14 minutes of running memtest, I reached a massive 1,000,000 errors still climbing at about 2,000 errors a second. Big problem. Think this is worthy of a RMA?

System Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Abit NF7 mobo

2x Coarsair XMS 512mb PC3200

WD 80gb hdd

Geforce FX5600

Thanks!

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Part number: CMX512-3200C2

CPU Settings:

Speed: Stock

FSB/DRAM Ratio: 5/5 (333mhz)

CPU Voltage: 1.675v

RAM Voltage: 2.6v

Memory Timings: 3-3-3-7

AGP Aperture Size: 128m

Everything else is the default value.

• Corsair Employee

Please set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Please set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

All right, i set the voltage to 2.7v and the timings to 2.5-3-3-6 and tested the one module with memtest. As soon as i get into it, im getting errors. Over 20,000 within the first 10 seconds and the number contiuning to rise at about 2,000 errors per second steadily.

I tested the second module with memtest and it seems to be fine. No errors after running it for a few hours.

Archived