Corsair Community

Corsair iCUE H150i Flashing red and Cpu Fan Error

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

So I just recently built my computer... Its my first and I thought I had everything done right. Everything booted up and I got to the boot menu. Once I had thought I had everything figured out I left the menu excited to install windows and use my new computer. Then the dreaded message. CPU FAN ERROR. I've been looking through forums for weeks for an solution.. Nothing. Here is my current setup if its helpful.

MB: MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900k
GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 3090
PSU: RM850X
The average CPU Core Temp is around 39C after about 20 minutes of running in the BIOS menu. The Motherboard temperature continues to rise.(I'm not sure if the cpu cooler actually cools it.) Nonetheless I know the cooler works it just wont present itself into my bios and continues to flash red.
Then I have the others like fans, ram etc.

So i plugged that tiny cable into the CPU_FAN header originally. It did not work so I switched it to the PUMP_FAN header, still refused to work. I then plugged it into the back into the control panel for the RGB thinking I had plugged it in wrong... Nope! I then thought it was a problem with the motherboard so I sent it back. It was not. 

I have taken the whole thing apart 2 times over the span of weeks. I am getting very frustrated! Can someone PLEASE help me!

CPU fan error is the consequence of attempting to boot up without a cooling solution in place for the cpu. It’s a very simple motherboard safety mechanic and a hold over from the days when everyone has tiny little fans strapped to the cpu. In this case it would automatically trigger if CPU fan is left empty because you’ve put the tachometer lead from the pump on AIO_Pump, W_Pump or one of these other motherboard headers that is not as useful as it should be. 

8 hours ago, theverydumbuilder said:

Motherboard temperature continues to rise

However, if you get the CPU fan/boot error when the AIO is connected to CPU fan, that is a warning sign and the secondary purpose. It means the pump is not sending a signal back to motherboard and thus the header is “empty” to the motherboard. While this could be a defect in tachometer wire, if the above quote means the cpu temp continually rises, then the pump is not running. Either way this is a defect on the AIO side and you need to contact Corsair Support to start the replacement process.

In your support ticket, “when connected to cpu fan motherboard generates cpu fan boot error and cpu temp continually rises” is enough to describe the issue. They will ask you to check power, but if the fans are spinning on the Commander Core you definitely have power. Last check is to power down the system, flip the PSU off, then disconnect and reconnect that wide power/data cable between pump and Commander Core. Flip the PSU on and boot normally. I don’t think that will help, but it is the one available user side troubleshooting option. 

• Like 1

I've tried these things before... Im going to order a new one and see what happens thanks for your solutions! 

I forgot to add this onto my previous post..
The AIO Cooler starts for a second running the normal rainbow colors. The fans slow down stop and then it starts flashing red. Then The fans continue to FULL RPM. Is this signs of a damaged cooler?

The cooler does cool the CPU holding it at around a steady temperature of 39c. I also feel the vibrations of the pump and I have installed it correctly. 
Is there any way to repair it. And with the "Tachometer lead" are you referring to the smaller wire that directly plugs into the motherboard?

Do you know any way to repair the "tachometer lead"? Or will I have to send it back in and just see? 

Thank you!

• Solution
3 minutes ago, theverydumbuilder said:

The AIO Cooler starts for a second running the normal rainbow colors. The fans slow down stop and then it starts flashing red. Then The fans continue to FULL RPM. Is this signs of a damaged cooler?

Not a damaged cooler, but a damaged control system.  Even without the USB connected and thus severed from the software, the pump's internal circuitry thinks the pump has failed and triggers this alarm response to get your attention.  This is what is supposed to happen on an actual pump fail.  The problem is the pump fail is false.  So while your CPU is not going to overheat and there is no risk of damage, the Commander Core becomes inoperable in this alarm state and you lose pump, fan, data, and RGB control.  It's a major issue and you are not the only person affected.  

The tachometer lead is the small connector that is meant to go from the pump to the MB CPU Fan header.  It looks like a full fan connector, but if you look closely it's only 1 wire - the tachometer wire (no power, ground, or PWM).  The cooler should work even with this disconnected and the CPU boot error is a motherboard safety feature, which can be disabled.  However, the alarm state and flashing red cooler is a Corsair safety feature and that is the one that is not working as intended.  If you RMA this cooler with Corsair, they will not attempt to repair it.  You will get a brand new cooler sealed in its box.  I do not know the true root cause of this problem.  I do not believe it to be in the tach wire since that is not required.  It is more likely to be something on the pump circuit board that is failing and tricking the system into the alarm state.  Your report of momentary control after power on, then a sudden jump into the alarm state several seconds later matches other user reports and my experimentation.  

You did not do this. This issue began to appear about 6 months ago and more than a year and an half into the product’s existence. That suggests it may be related to a firmware change that occurred near that point in time.

Edited by c-attack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had this exact same issue as I just installed the H150i yesterday, received the same CPU_Fan Error and then proceeded with all devices on the Commander Pro XT flashing read. For me it was a classic 1D10T error. Opened the back to just verify connections and found the pump connector in the the commander was not seated completely on one side. One tiny little click to connect it all the way and the machine fired up without error .

For reference for anyone else with my same motherboard, I have an ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus Wifi and a Ryzen 7 5800X. All stock BIOS settings with the exception of DOCP turned on.