Corsair Community

Bad RAM

Hello, I have been using a pair of Corsair VS512MB400 0403076 (1 GB kit) for approximately 1.4 years with no issues (on an ASUS board). Then my machine began rebooting at increasingly short intervals until it would no longer boot at all (and the beep codes complained of there being no RAM in the system). I have tried the RAM in two other motherboards subsequently and neither one will recognize the ram (or even boot with it installed)

the three motherboard/chips i have tested this with are:

ASUS P4C800-Deluxe w/ P4 3ghz/1MBcache 800FSB

ABIT IC7-G w/ P4 3ghz/512kcache 800FSB

(both of those are i875 chipsets iirc)

ECS Elitegroup somethingorother with an athlon 2100+ (it's a crappy board, don't recall the details, but it can handle DDR400)

As for motherboard settings, the boards dont get past POST with the RAM installed, so it's not motherboard settings. I am using various video cards nvidia FX5200, FX6800, Ti4800, and matrox G400DH and have swapped them around so it's not a conflict there either.

I have already purchased a second set of identical corsair RAM which works flawlessly in the above mentioned motherboards, so I am fairly certain that the RAM is indeed bad. As none of the boards i have tried make it past beep codes with this (bad) RAM installed, I cannot run memtest86 on the RAM to determine anything.

I have also tried each module singly with the same results. (I always use DDR in matched pairs normally), but did not try pairing each module with a known good one. I suspect both modules have failed.

Thank you, I hope for a pleasant RMA experience.

Erik

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

You want me to test each module singly in a board with memtest?

The system does not complete POST with either module installed singly. Therefore, i cannot run memtest on them.

Also, as i have mentioned, replacing the modules with identical, known good modules results in a system that works flawlessly.

Erik

Will do. I go with Corsair due to the product quality and warranty.

This is the first time i've had to use the warranty on corsair memory. It's so much less hassle to use quality RAM in the first place instead of cheap junk. (even the corsair value memory is great by comparison to most)

When I build server and serious workstation boxes i always try to go with Corsair ECC... that stuff is amazing. Never, ever get random crashes. (although, there are some other vendors that work well for a tight budget...)

Still, I have never regretted spending $400 for a 256MB stick of corsair ecc (back in 1999 ish).

anyhoo.. have a nice day.

Erik

Archived