Corsair Community

Flaky memory VS256MB266 (020837)

statik

I have two sticks of VS256MB266 memory (020837) that have worked for a couple of years in my Tiger MPX (S2466). Recently (over the past couple of months) when doing large compiles, the compiler (gcc) core dumps and there have been a couple of unexplained kernel errors. Never in the same place twice and never consistently. Replaced gcc and installed new kernel but symptoms persisted. After several searches, it was suggested that it was either a memory or CPU problem or other hardware related problem. I have replaced the memory with two CM72SD512RLP and everything has worked for several days now. So it appears to be either one or both memory sticks, however the motherboard requires two sticks to operate and I cannot mix the new memory with the old. Any suggestions on either debugging this or replacing one or both?

Thanks.

Adam.

• 2 years later...

I sent my memory in awhile ago, but haven't heard anything. I sent it in fairly late, but I didn't see an expiration on the RMA or I would have requested a new one. Any idea how I can find out what happened to the memory I shipped in?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry we can no longer check RMA status in Tech Support; please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext “0” or send them an email (rmaservice@corsairmemory.com) with your RMA# and ask them for the status! But please call after 8:00 AM Pacific Time on Monday.

Archived