Corsair Community

Power to my fans

rthrane

Hello there,

your advice is appriciated.

I am building a new pc around the Corsair 7000X cabinet. 

I have one commander core XT supplied with the case.

I Also have the H150I Elite cpu cooler.

There are two internal USB 2.0 connectors on my motherboard.

This is my plan.

Buy one Commander Pro that has 2 USB 2.0 connectors. 

Buy one extra Commander XT.

Connect both Commander XT to the Commander pro and connect the Commander Pro and the AIO cooler to the motherboard.

This will give me 12 RGB fan connectors.

Thanks.

iCUE will not like having that many commander units. Usually it ends up with one or several not being detected.

Usually the best route is to have as few PWM controllers as possible, ideally just one, and you can add RGB controllers on top, like Lignting node core to have extra RGB for fans.

For PWM you can use powered PWM hubs to group fans on the PWM outputs on the AIO, or on the Commander XT that you already have. 

And to connect all that, it's usually best to use a powered internal USB hub, again to help with stability. Using the Commander Pro's passthrough sometimes doesn't work depending on how many devices there are, and what chipset the motherboard is. Some don't give enough juice and there's detection issues too.

So, with the H150i, you have 3 fans connected, leaving 3 PWM outputs. that could connect to PWM hubs driving the whole case  basically.

With additional lighting node cores (included in fans 3-packs) you could manage all the RGB

-As few Commander units as possible (ideally one)

-Powered PWM hubs to group fans on single PWM outputs

-As many lighting controllers as needed

-Powered internal USB hub (like the NZXT one) to connect all the devices to the mobo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

iCUE will not like having that many commander units. Usually it ends up with one or several not being detected.

Usually the best route is to have as few PWM controllers as possible, ideally just one, and you can add RGB controllers on top, like Lignting node core to have extra RGB for fans.

For PWM you can use powered PWM hubs to group fans on the PWM outputs on the AIO, or on the Commander XT that you already have. 

And to connect all that, it's usually best to use a powered internal USB hub, again to help with stability. Using the Commander Pro's passthrough sometimes doesn't work depending on how many devices there are, and what chipset the motherboard is. Some don't give enough juice and there's detection issues too.

So, with the H150i, you have 3 fans connected, leaving 3 PWM outputs. that could connect to PWM hubs driving the whole case  basically.

With additional lighting node cores (included in fans 3-packs) you could manage all the RGB

-As few Commander units as possible (ideally one)

-Powered PWM hubs to group fans on single PWM outputs

-As many lighting controllers as needed

-Powered internal USB hub (like the NZXT one) to connect all the devices to the mobo

Thank you!

I have this preinstalled in my case.

Carbide 678C 6-port PWM Repeater (corsair.com)

I guess it is for fans with no rgb?

it is for fan motors, RGB or not. This actually is a powered PWM splitter. It takes one PWM signal and sends it to 6 fans at once, which will run at the same speed. And the power comes from the PSU, the SATA power, instead of the controller, which prevents overloading it.

Usually the FAN1 connector is the only one that sends a speed readout to the controller, so this one has to be plugged to a fan.

The thing is you don't need individual fan speed control in a case. All the fans on one loaction usually run at the same speed, like.. all the front fans together, all the side fans together, same for the top ones. you technically need only 3 or 4 PWM channels for the whole case, which will make it MUCH easier to manage than 12 🙂

RGB and speed control don't have to be on the same controller. it's totally separate features. So you can have all the fan motors connected via powered splitters to the Cocore XT or the AIO free outputs, and have all the RGB in separate lighting node cores.

it is for fan motors, RGB or not. This actually is a powered PWM splitter. It takes one PWM signal and sends it to 6 fans at once, which will run at the same speed. And the power comes from the PSU, the SATA power, instead of the controller, which prevents overloading it.

Usually the FAN1 connector is the only one that sends a speed readout to the controller, so this one has to be plugged to a fan.

The thing is you don't need individual fan speed control in a case. All the fans on one loaction usually run at the same speed, like.. all the front fans together, all the side fans together, same for the top ones. you technically need only 3 or 4 PWM channels for the whole case, which will make it MUCH easier to manage than 12 🙂

RGB and speed control don't have to be on the same controller. it's totally separate features. So you can have all the fan motors connected via powered splitters to the Cocore XT or the AIO free outputs, and have all the RGB in separate lighting node cores.

Okay thank you. That makes sense.

Basically i need power and rgb for 4  X 140 mm sidefans. And yes, they can operate at the same speed. But it would be nice to control the speed in Ique.

as long as the PWM hub is connected to the AIO or the CoCore XT, you will be able to control them in iCUE, as if they were a single fan on that output.

as long as the PWM hub is connected to the AIO or the CoCore XT, you will be able to control them in iCUE, as if they were a single fan on that output.

Okay. So all fans will run on the same channel and be adjusted to the same fan speed ?

yes exactly. All the fans on the same PWM hub will behave as one.