Jump to content
Corsair Community

Corsair One i300 cooling errors


Recommended Posts

Since upgrading to iCue 4.26.110 on Sunday, I am having frequent problems with the cooling system in my i300. On Sunday night, the top fan spun up to 100% for a few minutes even though the system was just sitting idle, with normal coolant temperatures and pump speeds (35-45 degrees and 1800-1900 RPM). I did not notice any change in the front LEDs, although I was looking away when the fan noise caught my attention.

Last night, the same thing happened, again when the system was idle. That time I did notice the front LEDs briefly flash red, once on the right and once on the left. The CPU coolant temperature rose a bit through this incident, but not about 45 degrees or so. Everything returned to normal again within a few minutes.

Today I had a third incident that went on a bit longer, with the front LEDs blinking red alternately a few times on each side. Again, all of the sensors reported everything in normal ranges except for the top fan, which ran at 100% for several minutes. The whole cycle repeated a couple more times, several minutes apart. It seems stable again now.

 
  •  
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, my post got a bit garbled and posted before I was done editing it. Some more details:

While the coolant temperatures and pump speeds varied a little during each of these incidents, the changes were very small (e.g. the CPU pump slowed down from about 1870 to about 1840 RPM). There wasn't any obvious reason for the fan to turn on full or the error lights to flash. The error LED pattern changed somewhat in each incident. I did not notice the front LEDs flash during the first incident. The second time, I saw them blink exactly once each, right then left. The third time, there was a repeated pattern of right, right, left, pause. That last time, the whole thing also repeated again a few minutes after it recovered.

Since both lights were flashing back and forth, and the temperature & pump readings seemed normal, I suspect that iCue temporarily lost connection to the sensors, causing it to go into emergency cooling. There were no gaps in the iCue cooling graphs, though. I did see some changes to coolant temperature and pump speed during the incidents, but they were quite small relative to normal conditions. For example, the CPU pump speed dropped by about 30rpm, but that seems negligible compared to the ~1800rpm average speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I tried to play through the tutorial of The Witcher 3, a game I have run successfully on this PC before. It played fine for a half hour or so before starting to blink the front LEDs irregularly, even though the pumps were running normally and both coolants were below 65 degrees. After exiting the game, the GPU coolant returned to below 35 degrees quickly, but the CPU coolant is maintaining 54 degrees after another half hour. That's about 10 degrees warmer than this afternoon, even though the ambient temperature is cooler now, and the CPU itself is only running at about 36 degrees. (While I was typing this, the CPU coolant suddenly dropped from 54 all the way down to 37 degrees in less than a minute.)

Edited by Bradd
additional information
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bradd said:

I tried to play through the tutorial of The Witcher 3, a game I have run successfully on this PC before. It played fine for a half hour or so before starting to blink the front LEDs irregularly, even though the pumps were running normally and both coolants were below 65 degrees. After exiting the game, the GPU coolant returned to below 35 degrees quickly, but the CPU coolant is maintaining 54 degrees after another half hour. That's about 10 degrees warmer than this afternoon, even though the ambient temperature is cooler now, and the CPU itself is only running at about 36 degrees. (While I was typing this, the CPU coolant suddenly dropped from 54 all the way down to 37 degrees in less than a minute.)

Hi,

Are you able to compare the CPU coolant temperature readings in iCue and a third party software like HWiNFO64? This might help determine if the erroneous coolant temperature is caused by iCue or the sensor builtin the CPU AIO pump block.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees

Hey there would you be able to go ahead and  contact our support team by opening a ticket at https://help.corsair.com so they may look into this a little closer for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I installed HWiNFO64 to cross-check the sensor readings the next time this happens. I ran it briefly to locate the appropriate sensor outputs, and while HWiNFO64 was running, the system kept sounding USB reconnection alerts every minute or two, and the front LEDs would blink black each time. The USB reconnection alerts did not occur during the error episodes. I was specifically listening for them, because I know that USB disconnections are a common symptom of these failures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bradd said:

I installed HWiNFO64 to cross-check the sensor readings the next time this happens. I ran it briefly to locate the appropriate sensor outputs, and while HWiNFO64 was running, the system kept sounding USB reconnection alerts every minute or two, and the front LEDs would blink black each time. The USB reconnection alerts did not occur during the error episodes. I was specifically listening for them, because I know that USB disconnections are a common symptom of these failures.

Sorry, iCue and HWINFO64 will not work concurrently and that is probably what is causing the USB disconnects. One would need to stop iCue and the corsair service to use HWINFO64.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ckibue said:

Sorry, iCue and HWINFO64 will not work concurrently and that is probably what is causing the USB disconnects. One would need to stop iCue and the corsair service to use HWINFO64.

I'm running both iCue and HWINFO64 and always have.  They work fine together for me. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends if you have Corsair/asetek support enabled in HWinfo. You may be lucky, but 99.9% of the time, it immediately causes junk data to be displayed or disconnects the device. Same goes with Aida64 or HWmonitor.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yep. That's why Ckibue hinted at having to close iCUE and disable the corsair service to use HWinfo. So it's usually one or the other...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO, the probable cause of the various C1 cooling issues is the random USB disconnects that may sometimes cause the AIO pump and / or fan to stop. I ended up installing aquaero 6LTs in my systems to control the top fan and an additional thin 120mm fan I installed on the CPU radiator. I also keep the microUSB connection to the CPU AIO pump disconnected as I would still get random USB disconnects with it connected even with iCue and corsair service stuff completely uninstalled.

Stock, the CPU AIO pump essentially just needs power from the SATA connector to the PSU and shares that power with the GPU AIO pump. That however runs off a not very effective "curve" in the AIO firmware without the corsair service hence my installing the Aquaero. The smaller Quadro would also suffice if only running Microsoft OSes as it's virtual sensors require the aquasuite service to be running.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen similar reports, but my problem seems like something else. USB disconnects are rare for me, my system is not actually overheating, and the fan and pump are both still running normally. Yet, the pump failure and overheating alerts are still going off. Seems to be a sensor problem rather than a cooler problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spoke too soon. Now I’m having the problem where the exhaust fan isn’t running at all, so heat keeps building up in the CPU coolant until it trips the overheat sensor (which is happening at 60 degrees and not 65 like the online docs state).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...