Corsair Community

7000D Airflow Fan/PWM Hub Question?

nonstopza

Hi There,

My 7000D Airflow case arrived today and I am planning the re-casing of my system. Current case is non-Corsair, but I have changed out as much as possible. (I am currently running a 3950x,x570 MB, 128GB Ram and a 2080 Super....... waiting on the new CPU and GPU for a refresh).

I will be transferring the following cooling into the 7000D, Capellix H170i AIO, 3 x SP140 RGB Elites, 5 x SP120 RGB Elites, the Commander Core and a Commander Core XT, NZXT usb hub. (Also, installing the LCD Upgrade on the H170i as part of this)

I dismissed the 3 x 140mm Airflow fans and PWM hub that came with the case ... BUT, I was just thinking???

What fans are these that came with the case?

Could I mate them up with my H170i and do a push/pull on the radiator?

I have a spare port PWM on my Core XT, can I plug the PWM Hub into the Core XT and control all fans connected to the hub via ICue? (I notice the hub uses SATA connnection for power)

Is it worth doing?

Cheers!

On 8/2/2022 at 5:07 AM, nonstopza said:

I dismissed the 3 x 140mm Airflow fans and PWM hub that came with the case ... BUT, I was just thinking???

What fans are these that came with the case?

It's a generic version of SP-Elite without LEDs.  The blade design is similar enough you can use them with the SP-Elite RGB in push pull without having to worry about turbulence issues.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:07 AM, nonstopza said:

I have a spare port PWM on my Core XT, can I plug the PWM Hub into the Core XT and control all fans connected to the hub via ICue?

Yes, that's exactly what it's for.  A PWM hub is essentially a powered 6 way splitter.  Use for large fan arrays where you don't need individual speed control.  The push pull 6 are an obvious choice, but it can be used for any fans you like.  

The main obstacle lingering is success in connecting the Commander XT + Commander Pro + Commander Core + LCD top.  Even with the powered USB hub, this has been a difficult battle for a lot of users.  What role does the Commander Pro play in this set-up?  Hopefully you meant Commander Core (which is required for the AIO) so the C-Pro can be eliminated.  However, you may be better off if you can use a Lighting Node Core to replace the XT.  The Commander Core must be used to power the AIO.  That is 6 PWM and RGB headers.  Can you make the 6 PWM headers + 6 fan PWM hub cover speed control for all?  Obviously 6 RGB is not enough, but a Lighting Node Core typically has far less connection issues than an Com XT.  

LCD top = 1 USB 2

Commander Core = 1 USB 2

Commander XT = 1 USB 2 or Lighting Node Core = 1 USB 2

This becomes a USB 2 port puzzle and you may need to try multiple configurations to get them all recognized.  You will not be able to chain the Commander Core through the passthrough on the XT.  A lot of users cannot use the PWM 'splitter' that allows the Com Core and LCD top to share a USB 2 line.  

Edited by c-attack

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, it all seemed really straightforward but wanted to check.

I am going to do the case swap at the weekend, so fingers crossed the Capellix LCD Upgrade goes smoothly (there's no Commander Pro, plus I have a spare USB2 header on the motherboard and I had not planned on using the splitter - but thanks for the heads up!!!)

Oh sorry, one point ...

Realistically, should I bother with the push/pull? I've done a far bit of experimenting with the fans in my current setup ... and I was surprised at just how little difference 5 x 120mm fans made to my cooling ... and I guess the additional  3 x 140mm on the pull would have the same deminishing returns?

(bearing in mind, I'm going to a new Airflow case... I won't know what to expect anyway?)

push/pull helps more with noise than thermals. You can run the fans fairly slow and still have decent airflow (from my little testing).

Temperatures will be better too, but not significantly. If you shave a degree off, it will be good already.

It can be a good idea, to help overcome the radiator and dust filter, since you already have the fans and don't need to invest any money. 

• Like 1

Push Pull on a typical 360mm radiator is usually not worthwhile.  You drop about 1C at middle speeds.  140mm base radiators typically benefit more because of fan geometry, but that means maybe a 2C difference at 300W.  The other thing is this tends to be watt dependent.  If you were running a multi-component loop with a big GPU, I would say go ahead.  However, even at 16 cores the Ryzen CPUs are relatively power efficient.  So if you typical CPU load is 150W, there is no reason to do push pull.  If you run a combination loop with a big, greedy 13900K pulling 300W and then another 600W from your 4090, then that is something else entirely.  

Thank-you again gents, your input much appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Just an update ... Case swap went great, LCD upgrade not so ... (it works if I load animated gif to HW but can't use any of the default stuff through ICue)

The airflow and cooling are massively improved over my old lump of glass case ... Very Happy!

Edited by nonstopza
typo

Actually, maybe you should expand upon the issue before doing the instructions below. If you can save something to HW Lighting, then it must recognize the LCD top. What are you trying to set in the normal CUE operations?

Do a full shutdown of the PC, flip the PSU off, disconnect that extra wide cable from the pump to Commander Core, then reconnect it making sure the white stripe is lined up. Now flip the PSU back on and restart. That should force both lcd top and Com Core to run their detection programs again. If that does not work, the. Things get more difficult and there is a very long thread in the CUE section.  

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/176547-elite-lcd-megathread/#comments

Reseating the plastic LCD casing on the mounted cooler plate may also help.  Do that as well when powered down. 

Edited by c-attack

I did notice one other thing, when I going into the HardWare Screen, the RGB switches off on the 5 x 120mm fans I have connected via a Commander Core XT (I have both the Core and the Core XT).

I will also see what happens if I remove the Core XT from the equation after I have tried the cable pull you mention above.

Thanks Again!

9 hours ago, c-attack said:

Actually, maybe you should expand upon the issue before doing the instructions below. If you can save something to HW Lighting, then it must recognize the LCD top. What are you trying to set in the normal CUE operations?

Do a full shutdown of the PC, flip the PSU off, disconnect that extra wide cable from the pump to Commander Core, then reconnect it making sure the white stripe is lined up. Now flip the PSU back on and restart. That should force both lcd top and Com Core to run their detection programs again. If that does not work, the. Things get more difficult and there is a very long thread in the CUE section.  

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/176547-elite-lcd-megathread/#comments

Reseating the plastic LCD casing on the mounted cooler plate may also help.  Do that as well when powered down. 

Wow ... that nailed it ... Just tried the power off and reconnect ... FIXED! 

Thank-you so much!

1 hour ago, nonstopza said:

I did notice one other thing, when I going into the HardWare Screen, the RGB switches off on the 5 x 120mm fans I have connected via a Commander Core XT (I have both the Core and the Core XT).

Hardware Lighting is the mechanic for saving a basic pattern to the device that will show when CUE is not running.  Most RGB controllers like the Commanders and LN Pro/Core save automatically.  KBs and mice often need to be manually saved.  Regardless, CUE will show you a "preview" of the effect on the actual hardware while you are in that section so you can get a look at it.  Depending on your other devices, some may drop into their assigned hardware lighting so you can get a complete picture.  Others may simply go dark.  This is an unfinished area of the program, but the general intent is to show you what it will look like on the device you are programming. 

However, there is still one more catch.  Some of the presets exist in a simplified form in hardware lighting.  CUE does not know what that looks like and will show you the full "software effect" it does know.  For example, Color Wave in software mode is one wave per fan, each a defined or random color.  In hardware mode, Color Wave is a single color wave that will start on fan 1 and run through fan 6 before the next wave begins --- a one wave per channel rather than per fan.  There are some subtle differences in several of the hardware lighting presets to make them capable of being delivered by the more limited RGB controller's MCU and/or storage capacity.  

Edited by c-attack