Corsair Community

iCUE ML 120 RGB fan lighting stopped working

Hello there I have just set up my new pc with all my fans and everything was working fine. I have 3x of these and 2 are still going fine while my bottom has completely gone dark, however the fans are still blowing. I have done a complete uninstall of iCUE and tried creating new profiles etc and can't seem to get them to relight. I did not touch the PC at all to where I may have knocked something out was just toying around with some RGB settings in iCUE when it happened. Below are some photos of them working on the 26th and then not working last night the 27th

First time using any RGB fans so a little new to all this. Appreciate any help thanks :)

IMG_20220728_124234.jpg

Screenshot_20220728-124444.jpg

On Corsair RGB fans the 12v motor and 5v RGB lighting are separate functions and the power comes from separate places, hence the two wires. So whatever the issue is, it will be connected the RGB hub or lighting controller or a user setting on the software end. 

Are the bottom 3 fans sharing a RGB controller with either the top or side wall fans?  What controller are they connected to?  The name should be visible in CUE as a device. 

As a quick check against not applying a lighting pattern, select one of those Corsair themes from the main page. This acts like a master override of all current setting and everything should light up. Do the bottom 3 respond?  

7 hours ago, c-attack said:

On Corsair RGB fans the 12v motor and 5v RGB lighting are separate functions and the power comes from separate places, hence the two wires. So whatever the issue is, it will be connected the RGB hub or lighting controller or a user setting on the software end. 

Are the bottom 3 fans sharing a RGB controller with either the top or side wall fans?  What controller are they connected to?  The name should be visible in CUE as a device. 

As a quick check against not applying a lighting pattern, select one of those Corsair themes from the main page. This acts like a master override of all current setting and everything should light up. Do the bottom 3 respond?  

Ok so I booted up my pc they were not on and then as the patterns kicked in they came back on 🙂 !

I did try what you said about the default corsair themes and it still didn't change anything. As far as detecting them I still only see 1 node - the controller is a commander pro.

Trying to figure out what went wrong incase it happens again. Thanks for the reply much appreciated c-attack

You likely have two Lighting Node Core devices. These come with the ML-Elite multipack. Each can handle up to 6 RGB connectors. Each has its own usb 2 internal connector that must go to the motherboard in order to connect to CUE. This seems the most likely scenario unless you have old RGB Lighting hubs from a prior Corsair fan kit. The Commander Pro is doing fan speed only in this setup. 

The relevance here is that’s 3 usb 2 internal connections. Most motherboards have just 2. The Commander Pro has two “passthrough ports”, but AMD boards usually don’t like stacking devices on the same line like that. I am wondering if this is why you only see the one LNCore. 

I don’t think there is a physical problem with any of the hardware. This appears to be the usual USB detection issues. Most AMD owners need a powered usb hub to help stabilize their output voltage and then a lot of us need one simply because there aren’t enough ports on the board. This is an inexpensive device, but it needs to a small circuit board type with SATA power — not a two way Y-cable. 

Most Corsair gear has two lighting states — hardware and software. Hardware Lighting is a basic color or pattern saved to the device memory. This is displayed when CUE is not running, like shutdown and boot  there is a special line in CUE to set this up  

Software lighting is the normal CUE active lighting patterns  they are set in “Lighting Effects”, allows complex patterns and layering, but requires active software to manage them. This is what you see kick in 10-15 seconds after Windows loads and then CUE  does the same.  

My best guess is you are getting intermittent contact between the system and one of the LNCores.  You don’t have a hardware lighting pattern set for these, so they stay dark when CUE is not running or when the connection drops  setting a hardware lighting pattern does not solve the issue and you can only do that if the LNCore is connected and shown in CUE.