Corsair Community

TWINX1024-4400C25 not operating at rated speed or below

I have a AMD 3800+ (Venice core), DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D, and Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25. I am running the latest official BIOS (3/10). I am not overclocking anything right now. I have been playing with memory settings for over 3 days now, trying everything from default settings to loosening all the settings. Nothing is stable enough to run the rated timings of 2.5-4-4-8 @ 1T. Super Pi will fail the 32M test within seconds, and if I ignore Super Pi and play a game, the game will crash. All settings were first tested using Memtest 86, and Quicktech Pro (diagnostic software from my job). The only way I have been able to get the system completely stable (Super Pi passed and gaming for 6 hours straight) is with a speed of 400MHz instead of 550, and 3-5-5-10 @ 1T instead of 2.5-4-4-8 @ 1T. The only way I was able to achieve this, was by weakening the DRAM Drive Strength to 1, and weakening the DRAM Data Drive Strength to 3. From what I have seen online, there are many people with a DFI, Venice, and this RAM who are having massive problems like me, whereas others with a Winchester core seem to be OK with this setup. Is there a compatibility issue with the 4400C25 and Venice cores, or am I missing something. I am so frustrated right now, and could use some information. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Not at all, and you really just answered your own question weather you know it or not. What you have said would suggest a bios issue, or more specificly the bios version you have does not properly support the CPU you have. I would suggest you post over at the DFI user forum and check for the latest beta Bios should be 3-15 or newer.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-4400C25

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 1:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 275

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 4X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.8

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.9

PC Health Status: Make sure that all temperature is set at 25 degree C

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Not at all, and you really just answered your own question weather you know it or not. What you have said would suggest a bios issue, or more specificly the bios version you have does not properly support the CPU you have. I would suggest you post over at the DFI user forum and check for the latest beta Bios should be 3-15 or newer.

According to DFI, the beta BIOS will void support from them. Are you sure i should do this? If so, which one? I know the latest version is 5/10, but they have 5/10-1, 5/10-2, and 5/10-3. Which one is right for my RAM? I have not gotten any clear answers from the DFI forums.

I posted on DFI, they said 5/10-3 is the one I should use. I installed it, and used the settings you provided. The settings wouldnt even get past POST, till I changed the CPU/FSB ratio to 9x, and the LDT/FSB ratio to 3x. After I did that, I ran Memtest86 for 3 passes without error. After that I ran QuickTech Pro from Ultra-X. I am a computer technician, and that is the software I use at work to diagnose RAM. The "Jump" test failed slightly. I went back into BIOS and set all the settings that "Load Optimized Defaults" had changed back to Auto. After that I ran Memtest86 and QuickTech over again, and it passed. I booted into Windows and loaded up SuperPi. SuperPi failed within seconds again. I ignored it and preceded to load up HL2. After playing HL2 for about 2 minutes, the game crashed. I went back into BIOS and loaded my DDR400 setting with 3-5-5-10 timings. I booted back into Windows and loaded SuperPi again. SuperPi did not error, and afterwards I loaded up HL2 again, and played for several hours without any problems. Could it be that my modules are old revisions? I have 4003v1.1, wheras most of the websites that have done reviews of these have 4404v1.1 What do you suggest now?

Can you tell me in details the BIOS settings that you currently have on your system; which BIOS version are you using, and the detailed specification of your system?

CPU: AMD Athlon 3800+ (Venice core)

Mobo: DFI NF4 LanParty UT Ultra-D (beta BIOS 5/10-3)

RAM: Corsair TwinX1024-4400C25 (XMS4003v1.1)

Video: ATI X800XL 256MB PCI-e

Sound: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

HDD: 2x Maxtor 200GB ATA/133

Power Supply: Antec TrueBlue 480W

I think that covers detailed specs pretty well. As you can see above, and in my above post that I am using beta BIOS 5/10-3, which was recommended to me by the people over at DFI-Street for this type of RAM. Here comes the detailed BIOS settings for both DDR400 working and DDR550 not working. The DDR400 settings are the only timings I was able to get to work with stability after more than 3 days of trial and error. I followed this guide: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397. The DDR550 settings will be the one from my last post before I switched back to the DDR400 settings.

DDR400 Working:

FSB Bus Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio: 5

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16down 16up

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio: 12

PCI-Express Frequencey: 100

K8 Cool 'n' Quiet Support: Disable

CPU VID Startup Control: Startup

CPU VID Control: Auto

LDT Voltage Control: 1.20

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.50

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.60

DRAM +.03 Voltage Control: Disable

DRAM Frequency Set: 200

Command Per Clock (CPC): Enable

CAS Latency Control (tCL): 3.0

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5

Min RAS Active Timing (tRAS): 10

Row Precharge Timing (tRP): 5

Row Cycle Time (tRC): Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC): Auto

Row to Row Delay (tRRD): Auto

Write Recovery Time (tWR): Auto

Write to Read Delay (tWTR): Auto

Read to Write Delay (tRTW): Auto

Refresh Period (tREF): Auto

Write CAS Latency (tWCL): Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave: Enabled

DQS Skew Control: Auto

DQS Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Strength: 1

DRAM Data Drive Strength: 3

Max Async Latency: 7

DRAM Response Time: Normal

Read Preamble Time: Auto

Idle Cycle Limit: 256

Dynamic Counter: Disable

R/W Queue Bypass: 16

Bypass Max: 7

32 Byte Granulation: Disable (8 burst)

DDR550 Not Working:

FSB Bus Frequency: 275

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio: 3

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16down 16up

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio: 9

PCI-Express Frequencey: 100

K8 Cool 'n' Quiet Support: Disable

CPU VID Startup Control: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

LDT Voltage Control: 1.20

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.80

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.90

DRAM +.03 Voltage Control: Disable

DRAM Frequency Set: 200

Command Per Clock (CPC): Disable

CAS Latency Control (tCL): 2.5

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Min RAS Active Timing (tRAS): 8

Row Precharge Timing (tRP): 4

Row Cycle Time (tRC): Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC): Auto

Row to Row Delay (tRRD): Auto

Write Recovery Time (tWR): Auto

Write to Read Delay (tWTR): Auto

Read to Write Delay (tRTW): Auto

Refresh Period (tREF): Auto

Write CAS Latency (tWCL): Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave: Enabled

DQS Skew Control: Auto

DQS Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Strength: Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength: Auto

Max Async Latency: Auto

DRAM Response Time: Normal

Read Preamble Time: Auto

Idle Cycle Limit: 256

Dynamic Counter: Disable

R/W Queue Bypass: 16

Bypass Max: 7

32 Byte Granulation: Disable (8 burst)

I'd like to say after the trouble I've had with this exact memory and the Venice core CPU, I've sold mine and bought <insert competitor here> ram, which I popped into my machine, and it's now running happily @ DDR600!

Please change the temperature under the PC health status at 25 degree Celcius.

That has been done. I did not think it was relevant to my problem, so that is why I did not list it in the above specs. On a similar note, my processor is being cooled by a Thermalright XP-90 (copper) heatsink with Thermaltake 90mm fan, which hangs over and blows on the RAM as well.

I have called your tech support line since this forum is too slow at resolving my issue, and they said that I had pretty much tried everything. They offered to replace the modules, and so I am doing so. I will post back with my results when the replacements arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok... Please let us know you make out!

Well I just got my RAM today...good turn around time guys, although I must say you need to get a few more people working the phones. It was very hard for me to reach a person each time I had called. Also, you should send out email notifications for the status of an RMA, or at least allow the customer to check it online. Anyway, I had updated my BIOS to a final version (6/15) instead of beta, and installed the chips. The optimized default settings did not pass memtest86, but they were too aggressive. I put everything to auto, and so far it looks great! I have passed memtest86, and 21 loops of SuperPI 32M, which is great since the old chips would fail after a few seconds in SuperPI. I will continue to test these, and will report back with further info. The chips that arrived are 4404v1.1 instead of 4003v1.1, and they are currently running 2.5-4-4-8 @1T 275MHz with all default votages. Thank you, I will report back soon.

Archived