Corsair Community

Intel P4 2.4GHz C, Intel D865PERL, Corsair Value Select Dual Channel PC3200 2x512MB

p4user

Intel P4 2.4GHz C, Intel D865PERL, Corsair Value Select Dual Channel PC3200 Kit 2x512MB. Would these work together? I'm looking at buying a new computer, and I won't be overclocking it. [URL=http://www.ncix.com/pcbuilder/pcbuilderpreview.cfm?id=1237186&skus=10464-1|9748-1|9914-1|9821-1|9756-1|6139-1|9808-1|10367-1|8484-1|10103-1|10227-4|5533-1|7843-0]my computer i might make (link might not work)[/URL]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Sorry for the late reply. And yes these should be fine with this MB but you may have to set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and you should be set. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] i suppose i'm nervous about your earlier post, because you used the words "should be fine with this MB" instead of "will most definitely be compatible with this MB." i'm thinking about buying the 1 gig kit (512 x 2) value select pc3200 RAM (CORSAIR VS1GBKIT400) for my intel d865perl motherboard. i can get a one gig kit of RAM with CL3 elsewhere for the same price (which is $150) as the aforementioned corsair ram, but, as the RAM guy says, "purchase the RAM with the lower CL if they're the same price." however, i want to make sure i'm not sacrificing stability for a lower CAS. if the d865perl board is reputed to have problems with lower latency RAM chips, then can't i simply underclock the RAM to address this issue? any suggestions, and / or compatibility guarantees? i've heard good stuff about corsair, but postage, restocking fees, and all around RMA hassles are what are keeping me at bay.

• Corsair Employees
Value select modules are basically generic based modules that have our warranty. So if they do not work we will be happy to replace them. For Intel boxed MB's they do not provide all of the options needed to over clock and Value select would be the best choice for this MB. As far as performance to compatibility and price! Other wise I would suggest Twinx1024-3200C2.

ram guy- so i ended up buying the ram (see specs from above)- installed it in the dual channel slots and everything seems okay- even ran memtest 86 and stopped it around 10 hours later when it had iterated 50 times with no errors. but- when i'm messing around on the computer, every now and then the computer will just randomly go blank and reset itself- any thoughts on how i can remedy this situation? based on the memtest results, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the ram (but perhaps an issue with the voltage / cas settings)? thanks in advance- eddy

• Corsair Employees
It will be time consuming but worth it to be sure. I would run the system one day with one module and the next day with the other one at a time and lets make sure one is not weak. Also with this MB I would try the By SPD setting and see if we can identify one of the modules as the cause. If no problem is found I would start looking at the event log and in fact it may not be a bad idea to check it either way and see if there is any errors recorded.

okay- i've run the memtest for a day for each of the ram chips separately, and they've both succeeded in lasting a day without any errors. however, i'm still getting random reboots (sometimes within windows, sometimes when windows is starting up). the event log states something about a "bugcheck" blah blah blah (you know, the generic error 1001 that lots of people get here). and, when the computer does the "blue screen of death" while starting up windows (which it sometimes does, but not all the time), the screen says "bad pool called." i'm letting the ram stay at the default / automatic configuration (that's what SPD does, right?), which is 2.5-3-3-8, but i've also tried running the ram at 2.5-3-3-7 (per your suggestion), but i get the same random reboots either way. is it possible that there's nothing at all wrong with any of the components, except that the ram and motherboard simply aren't compatible? what do you suggest i try? thanks in advance-

• Corsair Employees
I have to say no! I have tested this model and had no problem at all even with our Twinx1024-3200LL. So I would have to assume there is some other problem. What is your system configuration? Video Card, PSU and any other cards you have in the system? Also have you tried a fresh FDISK, Format and Install of the O.S.?

aspire xdreamer case with 350 watt power supply --intel d865perl motherboard ----pentium 4 2.8 ghz 800 fsb processor ----512 X 2 pc3200 corsair value select ram (cas latency 2.5) ----maxtor 40 gig 2mb cache hard drive, 7200 rpm ----maxtor 160 gig 8mb cache hard drive, 7200 rpm ----samsung cd rw dvd combo drive, 8mb cache ----promise ultra 100 ide controller ------maxtor 120 gig 8 mb cache hard drive, 7200 rpm ----pny verto geforce fx 5200 AGP 8x 128 mb video card ----samsung 1.44 mb floppy drive ----sound blaster audigy --2 cooler master neon led fans operating system is windows xp professional, installed on freshly formatted 40 gig maxtor hard drive ram is running at SPD setting all other setting are default motherboard settings i think that's pretty much everything!

Hi RAM guy, i just picked up a cmx3200C2PRO 512mb module, and its on my d865perl mob. memory seems stable and behaving ok so far, save for one curious side effect. the activity led's are illuminated from the moment i press the power sw, but simply turn off the moment BIOS loads and stay off the whole time the computer is on. ive tried some different things such as booting it up with just the corsair, with the corsair and the other 512 stick (another DDR400), and ive changed the latency settings fr the default to 3-3-3-7 as per yr suggestion etc. its peculiar. has anyone else seen this? ideas?

[quote name='dantiki']Hi RAM guy, i just picked up a cmx3200C2PRO 512mb module, and its on my d865perl mob. memory seems stable and behaving ok so far, save for one curious side effect. the activity led's are illuminated from the moment i press the power sw, but simply turn off the moment BIOS loads and stay off the whole time the computer is on. ive tried some different things such as booting it up with just the corsair, with the corsair and the other 512 stick (another DDR400), and ive changed the latency settings fr the default to 3-3-3-7 as per yr suggestion etc. its peculiar. has anyone else seen this? ideas?[/QUOTE] SORRY, i should have started a new thread...

• Corsair Employees
eddy1134, If you are not getting errors with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url], that would suggest some other problem. But to be sure its not one of the modules, I would try one module one day and then the other and see if the system displays the same behavior with either one of the modules. If it does this with either module I would have to guess there is some other problem. Bug checks can be many things basically something would be trying to write to read to memory address and got an incorrect response. That can be caused by a driver problem or conflict or even unstable power can cause an error like that. But let's try the modules one at a time and see if we can point to one of the modules. dantiki Yes it would be better if you would start a new thread, but I would if at all possible try the modules on another MB and see if they behave normally. The activity LED's will only show memory activity so if something is writing to the memory they will or should show activity. When the system goes through the post test's it will blink win it tests the memory them go dormant till it starts to load the O.S. (Windows) if it's just DOS you may not see much activity! Also I would set the timings to the tested settings, which you can get from the link in my signature.

hmm- after reading some posts elsewhere, it dawned upon me that the power supply that came with my case might be the culprit (which you mentioned, as well). the case i had came with a 350 watt power supply, but wasn't a name-brand power supply that had fabulous reviews or anything. plus, i took a look at this site: [url]http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/[/url] which lets you input the specs of your computer to estimate what kind of power supply you'll be needing. needless to say, my power supply was *way* below what was recommended. so, after ruling out memory incompatibility issues (which i think i've done, since i've run memtest86 multiple times for a day for each and every one of the ram chips i have installed w/o errors), i'm going to hope that a stable power supply (a namebrand, 480 watt power supply!) will solve my problems. the power supply's coming in the mail today- i'll keep you updated-

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please let us know![/QUOTE] it looks like everything's straight, with the new power source (no crashes, no random reboots, etc.) however, it did take a little bit of patience (i had to remove all the non-vital components such as the ide controller and the sound card) and reformat / reinstall the operating system. after that was done, the components were placed back in, and everything worked like a charm- so, if memtest86 isn't giving you errors, but you're restarting / rebooting randomly, check your wattage and check what your recommended wattage is. fixing your problem could be as easy as changing your power source- thanks ramguy for the help.

• 3 months later...

Archived