Corsair Community

WTF? Is this an acceptable solution ???

ajdedo

Okay..... I'm back, and i think i may have found a temporary solution..... Though I'm not happy with it.....

I have a pair (2x) of CMX512-3200C2 for a total of 1024 RAM

I have ALWAYS got an ERROR #5 when running Memtest86+

I tried EVERYTHING, as documented in my original post ->

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38648

Finally, I found a solution that WOULD NOT produce any errors during Memtest......

However, I'm not sure if I should be happy with it..... Basically, I changed the DRAM Frequency from 400 down to 333 (Mhz)..... Doing this finally allowed my RAM to pass all the test..... But WHY ??? What does this mean ??? Do I have to run my memory slower ???

Any info would be great.... Thanks.....

--------------------------------------

SYSTEM INFO

Hardware

RAM - (1Gig 2x512) CMX512-3200C2 (XMS3202v2.2)

Mobo - MSI 865PE Neo2-P (MS 6728 ver.2)

CPU - Intel 3.2 Prescott

PSU - L&C : Model B400ATX

Video - MSI FX5200

BIOS - Amibois v3.31a

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD - Disabled

CAS - 2.5

RAS - 3

RAS to CAS delay - 3

Precharge delay - 8

Burst - 8

AGP Aperture Size - 128 Meg

Freq/Volt Control ->

Preformance Mode - Normal

D.O.T. Range - Disabled

D.O.T. Mode - CPU only

CPU Ratio - Locked

DRAM Freq (Mhz) - 333 Mhz

Spread Spectrum - Enabled

Adjust CPU Bus Clock - 200

DDR Clock - 333

Adjust AGP/PCI Clock - 66.66/33.33

CPU Vcore Adjust - No

CPU Voltage - 1.3875

DDR Power Volt - 2.60

AGP Power Volt - 1.50

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

CAS - 2.5

RAS - 3

RAS to CAS delay - 3

Precharge delay - 7

Burst - 8

Freq/Volt Control ->

D.O.T. Range - Disabled

D.O.T. Mode - CPU only

CPU Ratio - Locked

DRAM Freq (Mhz) - 400 Mhz

DDR Clock - 400

CPU Vcore Adjust - No

CPU Voltage - 1.3875

DDR Power Volt - 2.80

AGP Power Volt - 1.60

Hi....

I tried every combination possible, and NONE WORK !!!

DRAM Freq 400 : 2-3-3-7 : DDR Volt 2.7

DRAM Freq 400 : 2-3-3-8 : DDR Volt 2.7

DRAM Freq 400 : 2.5-3-3-7 : DDR Volt 2.6

DRAM Freq 400 : 2.5-3-3-8 : DDR Volt 2.6

DRAM Freq 400 : 2.5-3-3-7 : DDR Volt 2.7

DRAM Freq 400 : 2.5-3-3-8 : DDR Volt 2.7

DRAM Freq 400 : 2.5-3-3-7 : DDR Volt 2.8

DRAM Freq 400 : 2.5-3-3-8 : DDR Volt 2.8

I Tried each chip seperately and they BOTH give me ERROR #5

Then I turned down the DRAM Freq to 333.....

DRAM Freq 333 : 2.5-3-3-7 : DDR Volt 2.6

DRAM Freq 333 : 2.5-3-3-8 : DDR Volt 2.6

DRAM Freq 333 : 2.5-3-3-7 : DDR Volt 2.7

DRAM Freq 333 : 2.5-3-3-8 : DDR Volt 2.7

And IT WORKS.... NO ERRORS !!!!!

Why ???

• Corsair Employees
Normally errors in test 5 or 8 would suggest some other problem, can you test them in another system, but I have no problem replacing the modules if you want to try that. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Did you switch CPUs? In your original thread, you mentioned you were using a 2.8 (which was at one point OC'd to 3.4).

Also, if your memory PASSED in another system, then I doubt it's the memory. Guessing bad memory controller / bad slot / bad OC. Either way Corsair's already stated more than once that they're willing to RMA the memory, so you have that option as well.

Did you switch CPUs? In your original thread, you mentioned you were using a 2.8 (which was at one point OC'd to 3.4).

Also, if your memory PASSED in another system, then I doubt it's the memory. Guessing bad memory controller / bad slot / bad OC. Either way Corsair's already stated more than once that they're willing to RMA the memory, so you have that option as well.

Hi Thanks.....

Yes I did change CPUs..... I thought the problem might be the old CPU that was OC'd, so i got a new one (3.2 Prescott NOT OC'd)..... but it didn't help, and i have the same problems (doh!). I also got a new Video Card, and a new PSU..... hoping it might be one of those..... Only thing left is my Motherboard..... Which I'm beginning to think IS the real problem :sigh!:

I know Corsair offered to replace the memory, and i think that's great of them, but i would rather not send back working memory for no reason, it seems like a waste..... I would rather try to figure out the problem and RMA it as a last resource..... But like you said, if it worked in another system, then it's probably NOT the memory.....

Now when you said you thought it might be a bad memory controller / bad slot / bad OC..... I understand the slot is on the Mobo, and i tried each stick in each slot, and got the same results, so it might not be that..... But how can i test the memory controler ???

Thanks a lot..... :-)

• Corsair Employees
The only way would be to have another known working system to test with. But I would suggest you get the latest bios and update it if you have not done so and then reset the Bios, normally there will be a jumper to clear it out on the MB. And then load setup defaults and set the timings as suggested previously since you have changed hardware it just may need to be reset so the DMI pool is cleared out. In addition, this could also be a power problem, what is the make and model of your PSU and please list you complete system spec. maybe there is something obvious we can see.

Hi,

I reset the BIOS with the jumpers like you suggested, (The bios had already been updated). Then I set the timings to what was suggested. Still I get the same problems..... WORKS at 333 Mhz. DOES NOT WORK at 400 Mhz...... I am convinced the problem is with motherboard, since it is the only part I haven't replaced.....

I would like to believe it is something else, but i think i am out of options..... I am still open to suggestions though..... Thanks.

P.S. I not sure if it matters, but Memtest ALWAYS produces errors when test number 5 is 92% complete. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, the same place.....

Here are my system specs.....

SYSTEM INFO

Hardware

RAM - (1Gig 2x512) CMX512-3200C2 (XMS3202v2.2)

Mobo - MSI 865PE Neo2-P (MS 6728 ver.2)

CPU - Intel 3.2 Prescott

PSU - Seasonic S12 - 430W

Video - MSI FX5200

BIOS - Amibois v3.31a

CAS - 2.5

RAS - 3

RAS to CAS delay - 3

Precharge delay - 7

Burst - 8

Freq/Volt Control ->

D.O.T. Range - Disabled

D.O.T. Mode - CPU only

CPU Ratio - Locked

DRAM Freq (Mhz) - 400 Mhz

DDR Clock - 400

CPU Vcore Adjust - No

CPU Voltage - 1.3875

DDR Power Volt - 2.80

AGP Power Volt - 1.60

• Corsair Employees

And what is MAM/PAM set too? Should be listed with the memory timings and I would set it too AUTO or Disabled.

And I would suggest you contact MSI and ask them to explain this statement on the Bios download page.

3.0 BIOS cannot be used on 865PE Neo2 (MS-6728) & 865G Neo2 (MS-6728G),

And ask them to help you make sure that you have the latest and correct bios!

And what is MAM/PAM set too? Should be listed with the memory timings and I would set it too AUTO or Disabled.

And I would suggest you contact MSI and ask them to explain this statement on the Bios download page.

And ask them to help you make sure that you have the latest and correct bios!

Hi, I wasn't able to locate MAM/PAM anywhere in my BIOS, but I've tried everything else...... As for MSI, they say that v3.0 will not work, but the version I have - 3.A which is the newest, is recommended....

I also found a link to a similar problem here (Where DDR400 would only work at 266)

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78669#post78669

And apartently it was 2 bad moduals..... So perhaps I will try an RMA in the end.....

Ignore that thread you found, as the poster never mentioned what CPU they had. For all we know, they could have had one of the first P4s that didn't support 400 Mhz memory.

True, but half way down he mentions that he received the new replacement moduals and that the errors stopped. ''ran MemTest86 for 150 passes on Test 5 using SPD settings and 2.75vdimm and got 0 errors.'' Granted he didn't specifically say that the new moduals were tested at 400, but since he was refering to XMS3200C2PT, I presume the SPD setting were auto 400.....

Then he goes on to say ''Looks like it actually was faulty modules. Hard to believe that both had errors.'' Which is the part that still gives me a glimmer of hope..... Otherwise, I'll just have to live with my DRAM set to 333.... Since another solution hasn't been found..... sigh....

True, but half way down he mentions that he received the new replacement moduals and that the errors stopped. ''ran MemTest86 for 150 passes on Test 5 using SPD settings and 2.75vdimm and got 0 errors.'' Granted he didn't specifically say that the new moduals were tested at 400, but since he was refering to XMS3200C2PT, I presume the SPD setting were auto 400.....

Then he goes on to say ''Looks like it actually was faulty modules. Hard to believe that both had errors.'' Which is the part that still gives me a glimmer of hope..... Otherwise, I'll just have to live with my DRAM set to 333.... Since another solution hasn't been found..... sigh....

Motherboards can override SPD settings, so nothing can be assumed as to the speed they were actually running.

Did you try reinstalling your bios and chipset drivers or updating them? Sometimes a fault in these can cause the problem your seeing. If it isn't the bios or drivers then I hate to tell you this but it looks like something in the northbridge chip on the motherboard was possibly smoked by the overclock to the cpu thus disabling 400 mhz fuctionality. If the ram worked in another system at 400mhz, it's not the ram at fault.

Motherboards can override SPD settings, so nothing can be assumed as to the speed they were actually running.

Some boards that override:

ASUS P4C800/ASUS P4P800

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe

DFI LP nF4 SLI-DR

DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D

GBT K8NSNXP

Some boards that don't override:

A7N8X Deluxe v2.0

DFI nF4-DAGF

Intel D865GBFL

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I received my NEW Memory Moduals today, and I'm happy to say, that my system now runs PERFECTLY !!!!

Sooooo...... FYI...... to summarize......

I had 2 BAD MEMORY MODUALS that produced error #5, and that both moduals would NOT work at 400Mhz, but they both would work at 333Mhz.

So if anyone else experiences these situations, then it is very possible that the problem is two bad moduals.....

Archived