Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200XL Failing Memtest86

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts

System Performance: Auto

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

PAM/PAT/MAM: Auto

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts

System Performance: Auto

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

PAM/PAT/MAM: Auto

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

The testing I have already done has been with Memtest 86+ v1.55 at the exact settings specified above - other than PAT has been enabled and "DDR Reference Voltage" has been left on Auto.

I'm pretty disappointed that Corsair sticks of any kind (let alone XL sticks) would have Memtest errors at their default settings. Why should I have to up the DDR Voltage to operate without errors? I've owned a number of Corsair kits/sticks over the years and I've never experienced Memtest errors at default settings. Given that I run each test for 24 hours, it's a lot of testing/downtime to find out something that won't change my opinion about these particular 2 modules, ie. I mean if there are no errors at 2.75v, it's not as though it will make me happy. One of the reasons I bought this Kit is because I wanted extreme low latency without having to jack up the DDR voltage - Prescott CPUs run hot enough already without the presence of more heat in the vicinity.

Anyway, isn't this XL kit meant to be able to do 2-2-2-5 in dual channel mode with PAT enabled at default VDimm (particularly on a quality board like the P4P800D)? It's sold as a dual channel "matched" kit with 2-2-2-5 emblazoned on the packaging.

I'm just trying to work out what the testing at 2.75v will establish.

• Corsair Employees
XMS3200XL modules have a minimum suggested voltage of 2.75 Volts. In addition, its not uncommon to have to increase the voltage when over clocking the CPU Frequency or memory timings and running any DDR400 module at Cass 2 would technically be over clocking. And PAT is added by the MB maker not a chipset feature and should be disabled or set to AUTO.

I have now Memtested at 2.75v (MAM at auto) with both modules in.

MemTest Errors occurred after about 20 mins.

I am now in the process of Memtesting each stick individually @ 2.75v.

Will post the results when I have them.

running any DDR400 module at Cass 2 would technically be over clocking.
I don't see how it could be called overclocking if the Kit is sold as a matched dual channel pair with timings of 2-2-2-5. I mean, ppl buy them to run dual channel at 2-2-2-5 - that's how they're marketed.

And PAT is added by the MB maker not a chipset feature and should be disabled or set to AUTO.
Yes, on this particular Board (P4P800D) it is added by the M/B maker but are you suggesting that these errors might not occur with the same settings on a Canterwood Board?

Incidentally, I have put a number of dual channel memory modules in this Board and I have never had a Memtest error at the advertised stock settings of any other RAM.

• Corsair Employees

What were the exact settings you had set and can you tell me on what test you are getting errors and after how many passes? However, I have no problem replacing your modules if you just want to try that.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

What were the exact settings you had set and can you tell me on what test you are getting errs and after how many passes? However, I have no problem replacing your modules if you just want to try that.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

The settings were all exactly as you requested above.

I stopped the test after the 1st error on the 2 stick test - the error was on test 4 - 1st pass I think. I wasn't watching. I came back after 20 mins and there was 1 error, so I'm assuming it was on the 1st pass.

So far there have been no errors on the first of the individual stick tests at 2.75v and it's been running for 1 hr 40 mins.

I'm inclined to RMA them. All I want is to be able to run at stock 200FSB @ 2-2-2-5 with Pat enabled. I can live with 2.75v if it's required but I thought that by buying high quality Corsair XL, I'd at the very least be able to achieve 2-2-2-5, dual channel with PAT.

• Corsair Employees
Well PAT is a performance option and will sometimes make the system unstable. And you may get errors in that are not from the memory. However, I have no problem replacing the modules, but I would suggest you set the Dim Voltage at 2.8X volts if you want to try and enable PAT and you may need to tweak the CPU Vcore as well.

Archived