Corsair Community

5000x RGB w/ H150i Elite Capellix + 1 more fan

MrKappa

Hello people,

I am planning to make an upgrade to my pc. I am getting the 5000x RGB, H150i Elite Capellix aio and 1 more SP120 fan. I know that the case comes with a lighting node and an fan speed controller and also the aio comes with a commander core. My system will have 7 fans in total and the commander has 6 slots. If I connect 2 fans on the case lighting node and on the fan controller and connect these to the commander core, will I be able to connect the 2 fans individually or they will show up as one? 

Thank you in advance for your response!

You should have a powered PWM hub in the back of the 5000X. It doesn’t look like much more than a circuit board, but will have 6 PWM headers and one control cable that will go back to a Commander Core PWM header. This is effectively a powered splitter and all fans will show and act as one fan for speed control. The obvious groupings for that are either the three radiator fans or your front three intake fans. Neither of those groups needs individual fan speed control. 

The more difficult decision is how to split the RGB fans. You will need 2 controllers, which you have with the included Lighting Node Core (circuit board version) and Commander Core. You’ll need to split the 7 either as 6+1 or 3+4. For lighting effects that don’t travel like rainbow wave, static colors, rain, etc., the grouping doesn’t matter. However, sequential or moving effects like waves, infinity, and the like only move on their own controller group. If you want an effect to travel up the front and then across the top, those 6 fans need to be together. The other option would be the front 3 doing their thing and the top 3 + 1 rear with an another instance of the effect. 

Make sure you buy a “SP-Elite” for the rear and NOT and SP-RGB or SP-Pro. Those are different fans and not compatible with your setup in one way or another. A ML-Elite will also work here if you like the frame better. It won’t matter for cooling and both are RGB identical 8 LED fans, so this is just a question of aesthetics. 

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, c-attack said:

You should have a powered PWM hub in the back of the 5000X. It doesn’t look like much more than a circuit board, but will have 6 PWM headers and one control cable that will go back to a Commander Core PWM header. This is effectively a powered splitter and all fans will show and act as one fan for speed control. The obvious groupings for that are either the three radiator fans or your front three intake fans. Neither of those groups needs individual fan speed control. 

The more difficult decision is how to split the RGB fans. You will need 2 controllers, which you have with the included Lighting Node Core (circuit board version) and Commander Core. You’ll need to split the 7 either as 6+1 or 3+4. For lighting effects that’s don’t travel like rainbow wave, static colors, rain, etc., the grouping doesn’t matter. However, sequential or moving effects like waves, infinity, and the like only move on their own controller group. If you want an effect to travel up the front and then across the top, those 6 fans need to be together. The other option would be the front 3 doing their thing and the top 3 + 1 rear with an another instance of the effect. 

Make sure you buy a “SP-Elite” for the rear and NOT and SP-RGB or SP-Pro. Those are different fans and not compatible with your setup in one way or another. A ML-Elite will also work here if you like the frame better. It won’t matter for cooling and both are RGB identical 8 LED fans, so this is just a question of aesthetics. 

Thanks for the answer! That really helped. If I need to control every fan by it self on both speed and lighting, do I need to buy an additional commander pro? I dont need it for the speed that much because mostly all the fans will be working on the same speed but mostly for the lighting cause I will be changing from here and there

Edited by MrKappa

If you needed individual fan speed control over all 7, you would need either another Commander Pro or XT, which would be extremely wasteful.  There is no reason for individual control over the radiator fans, so this is a fairly easy compromise.  

Lighting is completely separate from speed control and there are two wires on each fan to this effect.  Your choice for one has no effect on the other.  Fans light up with no motor power and likewise will spin and work as a fan without the RGB controller.  You will need two RGB controllers so that will be two devices in CUE.  This will require setting two sets of effects for each lighting profile.  No way to avoid that.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1