Corsair Community

H100i RGB Pro XT CPU_Fan Error on Post

Hi there. I’ve done some digging and I have seen some similar errors in the past, but nothing that’s worked out for me. My current setup is:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)

AIO: H100i RGB Pro XT

When cold starting the computer, the pump cap turns red momentarily and I am booted into the BIOS with a CPU_Fan speed error. Once I get into the BIOS proper, it’s showing the CPU_Fan running at ~3900 RPM (which means the pump is working at 1950RPM if my understanding is correct). The AIO is set up exactly per the Corsair manual; The single wired 3-pin connector into the CPU_Fan header, SATA PSU connection, both rad fans attached to the pump headers, and the RGB connection run to a USB header. Letting the system run in BIOS shows a steady temp of 39° at the CPU. I can feel vibration in the pump and hoses. By all accounts it seems everything is working as it should be, aside from this error at post. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If both the AIO and the motherboard think the pump has not started (AIO=red, MB=CPU fan boot error), it probably is not starting by the time the first check takes place. There is no user setting for that, so the only thing to look at is the SATA cable supplying power. Is there anything different about it compared to the others?  Is there another available SATA cable and PSU connection you can try?  

I can’t think of a reason for the PSU to have a delayed start up for specific SATA connections, so you probably want to contact Corsair Support and the fault may lie at the pump. However the SATA connection is the one thing you can check and the first thing Support will ask about. 

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

Is there anything different about it compared to the others?  Is there another available SATA cable and PSU connection you can try?  

I did try moving the SATA PSU cable from one plug on the PSU to another, and the pump SATA connection from one connector on the cable itself to another, but I didn’t notice any difference. I can try another cable later and see if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Chances are the pump is not starting when it should, so follow up with Corsair Support.  However, in the meantime you can reduce your hassle by going into the BIOS and disabling the CPU boot warning system.  On Asus boards this is done by going to the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring tab.  Then scroll down to find the CPU fan speed.  Hit enter and the option to "ignore" will pop up.  Select it.  This will disable the forced BIOS entrance each boot.  If the pump really does not start, the fans on the cooler will go into airplane take-off mode, the pump will go red, and you will have about 60 seconds to shutdown.  That's hard to miss, so you'll know if the pump does not start. If you still want to see the pump speed in the BIOS, you can move the tachometer connection from CPU fan to AIO_FAN or W_Pump if your board has either one.  This will require you to disable the CPU Fan header monitoring as described above and the PC won't boot unless something is on CPU fan or the warning system turned off.  

2 hours ago, c-attack said:

. If you still want to see the pump speed in the BIOS, you can move the tachometer connection from CPU fan to AIO_FAN or W_Pump if your board has either one.  This will require you to disable the CPU Fan header monitoring as described above and the PC won't boot unless something is on CPU fan or the warning system turned off.  

I attempted this, with running the radiator fans on CPU_Fan and CPU_Opt, the only downside is that it means stretching the tach connector to nearly the middle of my board, which works okay, but looks fairly bad, haha. I will definitely contact support, and if that turns into an adequate solution then I can live with a little exposed wires in exchange for some safety.

You don't need to run the fans off CPU/OPT.  Disabling the CPU boot error system is probably necessary at this point and that removes the need for something to be on CPU fan.  If the tach wire doesn't reach, you can drop in the back of the case.  It is not required to make the cooler work.  It's prime function is to satisfy the CPU fan boot safety feature.  Pump speed will still be listed in CUE whether the tach is connected to the MB or not.  

6 hours ago, c-attack said:

You don't need to run the fans off CPU/OPT.  Disabling the CPU boot error system is probably necessary at this point and that removes the need for something to be on CPU fan.  If the tach wire doesn't reach, you can drop in the back of the case.  It is not required to make the cooler work.  It's prime function is to satisfy the CPU fan boot safety feature.  Pump speed will still be listed in CUE whether the tach is connected to the MB or not.  

My main concern is simply that my CPU has a way to detect a failure of the pump, which is why I'd like to try and get the AIO to report back to everything properly. I submitted an email to Corsair support earlier today, if I find anything else I will be glad to report back.

Edited by Trashabama

Got an update, in case anyone sees this thread in a year, I don’t want to leave it without resolution!

I’ve run the computer all week with no panels. Haven’t had a single error during post since. This morning, I received an email back from Corsair Support. I decided to finish cleaning up my wires and put the panels back on. Lo and behold, as soon as I put the panels on, the error returned! But I went ahead and followed Corsair’s recommendation, which I’ve attached to this post. I’ve let the computer sit for about thirty minutes, booted it up, shut it back down, and repeated that three times now, with the case panels on, and it’s had no trouble with post. I’m hoping this has resolved my issue, and that it will help anyone else running into the same problem in the future! : - )

4B1B22F0-7D36-48D2-9559-F6924EE398E6.png

Well, I am glad you are not having issues but that is not the correct instructions for your cooler.  Your XT cooler is powered by a SATA connector.  The tachometer wire to CPU fan does nothing except report a pump speed to the BIOS to satisfy the CPU boot requirement.  Setting CPU fan to PWM and full speed is the protocol for a cooler that gets its power from the motherboard.  The PWM and Full Speed are redundant, but both ensure the power delivery stays at 12v which is what the pump requires.  

So if this is working you either 1) you don't really have a XT cooler but something older; or 2) Something is amiss with your CPU fan header and its not properly recognizing the tach signal.  Setting "Full Speed" (which is the EZ BIOS language for disabled) may somehow keep the header active during its auto-detect process at boot.  Now while that theory might explain why the motherboard would register  a CPU boot error (or not), it does not explain why the AIO would trigger its alarm.  They are not related functions.  The red flash on the AIO should only happen if the pump does not start.  Now this would happen if you had an older AIO that does not have SATA and is powered by whatever fan header is the source and that fan header was not set to 12v.    

Edited by c-attack