Corsair Community

DDR4 Memory Woes

dark_ice

Hello,

I built a system back in 2020 with a Ryzen 9 3900x. I bought a Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) kit and it worked just fine. These are the Vengeance RGB Pro. (CMW32GX4M4D3600C18)  This kit worked fine and I didn't have any issues (even though it says Intel XMP ready). This was around June 2020. The system worked fine and in December 2020 I found a deal on a 32 GB kit with 16 GB modules so I bought 2 of them for a total system RAM of 64GB. (CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18) The system worked fine until spring this year when I started getting random Windows BSODs (STOP CODE, IRQL NOT LESS EQUAL, etc), but I also received BugCheck errors  in Event Viewer, random reboots with no errors whatsoever, and some random BIOS looping on start up. The errors were at least 1 or 2 times a day. 

Anyway, after going through all other components and none of them being defective I decided to test the memory and I could not get the test to complete. Memtest had several errors on test 8 and 12. (Over 200+ and counting) However, the test could never finish and instead just stalls. Aside from testing each stick individually. is it possible to return all 4 modules for servicing or replacement?

You combined 2 different kits.  This is why you don't generally want to do that.  You are unbalanced for density and I have no idea if those are the same IC underneath or not.  It's sometimes possible to manually tune your many RAM settings to work together, but the high volume of different densities at or near the maximum viable frequency for your CPU is asking a lot.  Unless you have a lot of time on your hands to methodically go through and work the secondary and tertiary timings to try and make this work, you need to drop one kit or the other out of the build.  

In order to demonstrate a defect in the RAM, you would need to test each kit independently.  Start with the second 2x16 kit, but odds are you were just lucky for those first few months.  How are these two kits combined?  You have a 4 slot board and 6 RAM modules?

Edited by c-attack

Hi there, I only have 4 memory slots. I removed the 4x8 kit after I purchased the 64 GB kit which gave 2 boxes with 2x16 modules in each box. I installed each module in the correct lanes with each other ex. A1 B1 and A2 and B2. 

So with Corsair, I will have to show that the modules are defective with some sort of memory test ex. Memtest or Windows Memory Diagnostic?

So you are really using 2x16 + 2x16 of the same model and the old 4x8 is not involved.  Yes, start using just one matched kit at a time in the 2 module configuration for your board. 

Each kit should have a version number on the label.  Do they match?

Yes they do match. So I uninstalled the 4x8 GB kit and reinstalled one of the 32 GB (2x16) kits, I ran MemTest on it and it passed. I then removed it, and tried the other kit and lo and behold, it passed as well. 

With the 2x16 kits, I decided to reinstall them and this time just to make sure, I installed the respective modules that came in the box together in the according slots. So I have one kit in A1 and B1 and the second kit in A2 and B2.

Perhaps I mixed them up before and it may have caused a sensitivity issue on the board. Hopefully this works out. Both boxes are DDR4 3600 C18 CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18

Only the new 2(2x16) kits matter for this. RAM is a material sensitive medium and a “matched set” typically comes from the same semi-conductor batch. Two kits, even with the same version number may not, but it does help your chances. 

Most likely this can work but you probably need to manually adjust some VCCIO and VCCSA voltages in the BIOS. Not all motherboards set appropriate values with high density and high volume modules. Unfortunately I haven’t had an AMD processor in 15 years so I can’t help you with expected norms on x570 and 3900x. What you likely need to search for is a memory guide for the x570 platform that has suggested IO/SA voltages for 4x16. 

Appreciate your assistance, thank you.