Corsair Community

I screwed up

SERVO

I got a stick of VS512MB400 a while back and stuck it in my MSI K7N2-Delta L and it's been running fine @ 2.5-3-3-6 FSB422 ever since. I decided to get another stick of the same stuff and when I put it in prime 95 fails immediately. I reset the FSB to 400 but it still fails. I checked the compatibility and it says N/A. Any Ideas??? different timings maybe???

Thanks Rick

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES

Current CPU Clock-------- 2110MHz

System Performance------Manual

CPU FSB Clock------------211MHz

CPU Interface------------High Performance

FSB/Dram Ratio----------1:1

Current Dram Clock------211MHz

Memory Timings---------Manual

T-RAS------------------[6]

T-RCD------------------[3]

T-RP-------------------[3]

CAS Latency------------[2.5]

FSB Spread Spectrum----Disabled

FREQUENCY/VOLTAGE CONTROL

(I'm using a XP1700)

AGP Voltage Adjust------[1.5]

Dram Voltage Adjust-----[2.6v]

CPU Ratio---------------[X 10.0]

CPU Vcore Select--------[1.675v]

PCI Clock Auto Detect---Disabled

These settings run fine with one stick of VS512MB400

• Corsair Employees
Well running one module will O.C. better than when using 2 modules. I would try and lower your O.C. and or test the modules one ata time. In addition, VSXXXMB400 would be rated at Cass 2.5-3-3-8 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

• Corsair Employees

What are you trying to run them at when in DC? And what slots do you have them in? and have you tried to set the CPU to it's default and test the system?

CPU Freq: 133 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 133MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

try running memtest with only one stick in. Your original stick should pass (By the way, your timings and OC on that stick of VS are damn good...you're lucky to get VS that is going as fast as it with timings as tight as they are....especially at 1.6v).

I don't know what you're using to test stability, but memtest should be the first thing you try. Run it 1 stick at a time at everything stock (or at what Ram Guy told you to set it at) If you get any errors on either stick, somethign is up with the RAM that is being tested...I'm going to assume that being the newest stick.

The only other problem that I can think of iis different rev#'s on the ram. I'm not sure about that though, that's something that should be answered by RAM Guy.

Anyway, give it a shot, if RAM Guy answers posts only at work, he should be done for the day by now. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to test it using memtest anyway :)

Running both sticks @ 2.7v 2.5-3-3-8 FSB400 crashes my system. I can get my hands on another new stick of VS512MB400 next week. I'll swap them out and see what happens. I'll let you know.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would try testing them in another MB and or system.

• 2 weeks later...
Running both sticks @ 2.7v 2.5-3-3-8 FSB400 crashes my system. I can get my hands on another new stick of VS512MB400 next week. I'll swap them out and see what happens. I'll let you know.

I got my hands on that other new stick of VS512MB400. I tried it in my system alone and it ran fine. I tried it in my sons KT3-Ultra 2 and it also ran fine. So the stick I bought is defective. I put the new stick in with my older 512 stick and it did not work. I also tried putting both sticks of the good memory in my sons computer and that wouldn't work even at 333Mhz FSB. So I have a defective stick of VS512MB400 and a stick of VS512MB400 in my K7N2 Delta L that is not compatible with the same stuff. I would like to have a gig of memory in my system but, I don't know what to do.

Archived