Corsair Community

Rgb adapter compatibility

I'll try and make this as short as possible. So I've read multiple threads about using the adapter from pirate dog for 3rd party lighting. I used this for an cooler master rgb gpu bracket and I just had to pick how many led strips it was till it was full. I'm doing a new build in a 5000t. I have the included hub as well as the hub that comes with the h150i elite capellix. I added a rgb hub for all the extra rgb. The case rgb went to the rgb port on the included hub. I removed that and plugged in the rgb hub and planned on using a channel for the case. Its 3 pin as well as led strips I swapped from my last build. Sorry for the rant just wanted to provide as much info as possible. So basically the question is will the 3 pin to 4 pin adapter work for this scenario as well. My last build had a commander pro which had 2 rgb channels on it. So I assumed the new one would too. Be nice to get this thing all finished and see if it even posts lol

This is a picture of the 2 connections and the adapter I think I'll need.....this has been the longest build ever. First I didn't realize your had to purchase separate standoffs for the h150i to work with a 12900k and then I got those and realized the standard cables that came with the hx 1200 weren't long enough. Now I completely over looked these connections being 3 pin and not 4. Because of the holiday. This has been like 2 weeks in the making. I really hope this can be solved with those cables. I appreciate any help

20220712_135858.jpg

Screenshot_20220712-135618_Chrome.jpg

I think the root problem here is you are trying to use a “RGB channel adapter” and connect it a RGB fan port. All of the Core controllers (your Commander Core from AIO and Commander XT from case) has dedicated RGB fan headers. The XT has a single LED port. Pro controllers use the LED port system and then a separate RGB lighting hub for 5v power for fans. That RGB lighting hub is inside a Core controller, but room for just one. 

If you use that RGB fan adapter you are going to limit yourself to the max number of LEDs CUE can produce for a single fan. This works fine for something like a 14 LED cpu or gpu block, but not well for several rgb strips or anything with a high led count. I am also guessing your “extra hub” is really a lighting node core for fans and that’s not going to help here. If this is for multiple strips, you really need an LED channel and a used Lighting Node Pro or the old Commander Pro. 

Edited by c-attack

Correct the extra hub is a 6 port rgb fan hub. Which I used for the cooler master gpu brace In total there are the 4 led strips that I swapped over and I believe 6 strips on the case, plus the gpu bracket. I made the horrible assumption that i could just use 1channel for case 1 for strips and 1 for anti sag bracket. I have a light node that would add 2 rgb channels, however I am out of usb connections. I clearly under estimated the complexity of this build. Adding rgb was obviously not recommended lol. All the fans go to proper hubs. For clarification are you saying that by adding the led strips to the fan hub I will be limiting icue's ability to properly light the fans....i really appreciate your time

In CUE that Lighting Node Core is only going to let you pick a fan type for generating LEDs. So for a single LED strip (10 LEDs), you tell it HD fan (12) and it pretends the strip is an HD fan. This will work fine up until 16 LEDs, the most you can generate with a fan type (LL and QL). So for multiple strips you would need an adapter for each strip. Again this probably works fine for gpu block but a series of led strips is an issue. 

I think what you want here is a powered usb hub so you can add the lighting node pro in and drop the lighting node core. Those are relatively inexpensive. 

The case strips really need to be on the XT so they can be properly identified and controlled. The 4 internal led strips will work much better as led strip 4 x 10 on a LED channel. I’ll get someone else to give this a once over, but hold your order on adapters. 

Edited by c-attack
Colossal Apple Predictive text error

Let's see if I have this right ...

You have the 5000T with the Commander Core XT. The case is on one of the channels on that Commander Core XT. You have an additional Commander Core Capellix for your cooler.

You have an additional 4 strips and the CM GPU Brace that are non-Corsair that you want to add in, correct? How many LEDs on the strips and the brace?

Is that what we're looking at here?

Ill add a pic of where I'm at right now, mind the cable management. its still a work in progress lol. Yes. The case lights go to what looks like a node without a case which can be seen just to the left of the the core xt and that has a 3 pin connection to the core xt. I was trying to connect the rgb fan hub to that connection hoping it would give me 6 channels. Which as the other gentleman pointed out is most likely supposed to be that way for proper identification. The cappelix hub which is mocked up with the rgb hub are lower just above the psu. It only has a connection for a temp sensor the aio and 6 fans. The 4 led strips are the standard corsair ones daisy chained and they have the standard corsair 3 pin connection like the above picture. The cm gpu brace is currently set for icue to recognize it as 3 led strips, using an adapter to a rgb fan hub. I'm not sure exactly sure how many leds are in it. Its the ELV8. I know if you only set it as 2 its about 80% filled setting it to 3 fills it up. 

1657721950842921333479326953481.jpg

Solved....cable management is a cluster but this is working for me. Until I can expand usb I sacrificed 2 usb ports on the front. And installed the light node. Ran the case lights to the core xt as intended all that is working flawlessly. Used one channel for the corsair interior led strips and those work with all icue effects as intended. And I ran the other  channel to the stupid rgb fan hub. I imagine there is an adapter that would go to the 3 pin and eliminate the need for the extra rgb ran hub. But its working and the cm gpu brace operates as it did before and works with all the icue effects......thank you to everyone that helped me along the way. Corsair fan boy for life lol