Corsair Community

How to manage 9xRGB PWM QL120 and compatibility with Corsair controllers ?

Hello,

I would like to know what is the best option, that is being supported by Corsair, to manage 9x QL120 (with a Gigabyte Z690 Tachyon as MB), have less issues as possible such as compatibility with controllers.

Some techs reports that ML120 aren't well manage by commander pro for example. So i prefer to be careful and ask for an official response about this topic, since if there is a problem, i would be legitimate to ask for a full refund of the solution.

Regards.

well, the only fans that pose problems are the very first SP fans which had incompatible RGB chips..

Otherwise, all fans work with all controllers. If there are lighting issues, it's usually either a dead LED (covered by warranty) or a setup issue. If you set a 8 LED ML as "ML" in iCUE, it will manage it as the old 4 LED ML fans if i'm not mistaken. they have to be set to "8 LED fans" instead. Maybe that's what you heard.

A good setup could be a commander core XT, a lighting node core for the extra 3 fans RGB, and a powered PWM splitter to group some fans that don't require individual control, and fit all 9 on the commander core.

I'd personally stay away from the commander Pro, because it requires the use of fan RGB hubs and that's pretty messy to cable manage, uses one more SATA connector.. 

On 7/10/2022 at 4:22 PM, LeDoyen said:

well, the only fans that pose problems are the very first SP fans which had incompatible RGB chips..

Otherwise, all fans work with all controllers. If there are lighting issues, it's usually either a dead LED (covered by warranty) or a setup issue. If you set a 8 LED ML as "ML" in iCUE, it will manage it as the old 4 LED ML fans if i'm not mistaken. they have to be set to "8 LED fans" instead. Maybe that's what you heard.

A good setup could be a commander core XT, a lighting node core for the extra 3 fans RGB, and a powered PWM splitter to group some fans that don't require individual control, and fit all 9 on the commander core.

I'd personally stay away from the commander Pro, because it requires the use of fan RGB hubs and that's pretty messy to cable manage, uses one more SATA connector.. 

Hey again,

I already have a this  :https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/iCUE-Lighting-Node-CORE-Digital-Fan-RGB-Lighting-Controller/p/CL-8930009

And a Lightning node pro for the rgbs bands.

So i can plug the Lightning Node Core on the Commander Core XT ? How ? Do i need to buy extra adapters ? How i can combine those ?

nu nu you connect them all through USB 🙂 they are all autonomous devices, and they are managed individually on iCUE.

Now that's 3 devices with internal USB and your motherboard has at best two so you will need a powered  internal USB hub, like the NZXT one.

Also remember that the Commander Core XT has one RGB port that you can use for strips. So if you only need one port, that could save you from using the lighting node pro ?

If not > powered internal usb hub

So basically, i've manage to use adapters to plug my PWM fans on my motherboard by groups. For the LED, can buy just another one Lightning Core Pro, plug it on an internal USB port and add it through iCUE ? And manage the LEDs of my 9x QL120 without issues ?

This is my motherboard :
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z690-aorus-tachyon_1001_e_220117.pdf?v=d4047a568ea5d9c0fd08e4faefa5a178

If i refer to page : 33,34,35 i can use both USB 2.0/1.1 internal port to drive the 2x lightning core pro , right ? Or am i missing something ?

Regards,
Thank you for your answers !

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

nu nu you connect them all through USB 🙂 they are all autonomous devices, and they are managed individually on iCUE.

Now that's 3 devices with internal USB and your motherboard has at best two so you will need a powered  internal USB hub, like the NZXT one.

Also remember that the Commander Core XT has one RGB port that you can use for strips. So if you only need one port, that could save you from using the lighting node pro ?

Edited by TRZ

P.S. : Sorry for double post but i cannot edit my first reply anymore

So basically, i've manage to use adapters to plug my PWM fans on my motherboard by groups. For the LEDs, can i buy just another one Lightning Node Core, plug it on an internal USB port and add it through iCUE ? And manage the LEDs of my 9x QL120 without issues ?

This is my motherboard :
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z690-aorus-tachyon_1001_e_220117.pdf?v=d4047a568ea5d9c0fd08e4faefa5a178

If i refer to page : 33,34,35 i can use both USB 2.0/1.1 internal port to drive the 2x lightning node core, right ? Or am i missing something ?

Regards,
Thank you for your answers !

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said: