Corsair Community

Is it ok to put liquid metal thermal paste (thermal grizzly conductonaut) on the nickle plated copper heatsink

i was thinking about making a water cooled gaming pc and saw that the thermal grizzly liquid metal conducted heat a lot better than any other thermal paste but don's know if it will corrode the heat sink can anyone help me out by giving me knowledge  

usually i believe it only tarnishes a bit on nickel.

But for a CPU block you won't see much difference compared to regular paste, maybe a couple of °C. You may as well go for some high performance regular paste like Kryonaut or Kingpin KPX

for GPU blocks, there's also not much benefit since the dies are so large and there's no IHS.

I would not use it with any AIO.  It will tarnish the finish on the cold plate immediately.  

Liquid metal is for sport overclockers who are on the edge of temperature viability.  For everyone else, you are taking a risk in application for a nominal reduction in CPU temperature.  You really shouldn't use it unless you have no problem buying replacement parts the next day.  

Stick with a good thermal compound like KingPin KPx or Thermal Grizzly  Extrreme if you want the best. Liquid metal can be quite messy to deal with and in normal use rather unnecessary.