Corsair Community

icue not letting me control my aio fans.

i have a h100i elite capillex, both fans are plugged into the cpu fan headers on the mother board, the rest of the case fans are plugged into the corsair fan controller.
when i go into icue i can control the speed of all the fans except for the aio fans. how can i adjust the speed of them while also letting them change with the cpu temperatures?

(picture below missing 4 and 5)

Untitl34d.png

Edited by thebatshroom

hi. I think fans should be connected to the commander core to control them.  it's written in the manual

image.thumb.png.79b77d1b25fff30bb610fc8873b5768a.png

49_002401_AA_WW_iCUE_H100i_H115i_H150i_H170i_Elite_Capellix_QSG_WEB_m.indd (corsair.com)

• Like 1

As above. If you plug the fans into the motherboard, then the motherboard gets to control them. The Elite Capellix AIOs come with their own external fan controller (Commander Core) and that is the intended means of control. You appear to have 2 headers available. 

CPU temp is the wrong control variable for water cooling and really all cooling. Your cpu is cooled conductively. Fans do not cool the cpu itself, even on a small air cooler. Heat is physically transferred through the cpu to the cold plate. The liquid then picks up the heat as it flows by and transports it to the radiator to be blown off somewhere else. This your fans control the temperature of the liquid in the cooler. 

Liquid temp or “H100i Elite Temp” is the minimum possible CPU temp with zero volts on the CPU. Unless you have some really heavy power saving tools in place, you usually have some nominal level of voltage at idle and the cpu cores will float just above the H100i Temp. That’s as low as you can go. For each +1C to H100i temp, the cpu temp increases by +1C as well. Your typical range is going to be small and you might see +6C on a short stress test. That also represents the theoretical maximum you can reduce the cpu temp at some extreme fan speed — 6C. Most users will see higher coolant temps when gaming than a stress test as they increase the case temp with the gpu waste heat. +10C is common and you should plan your curve for where it peaks during gaming.  Case environment temp is the minimum for everything in the box, so if the case is 38C then a liquid temp at ~40C is normal too. 

If we take your system and hook up a little air cooler, the H100i, and then a massive custom external radiator system, all three will give you the same CPU temp when you start a stress test — at least for the first few seconds. All of these things are really mechanisms for heat removal. The little air cooler will soon be overwhelmed if you don’t increase it’s fan speed (rate of dissipation). The H100i with a 240mm radiator can go much longer. Some massive 3 meter run of external radiators could go indefinitely without a temperature increase as the radiators expel all the heat in a single pass.

If you want to see this in action, load up a fixed load stress test like the cpu-Z bench test. As the H100i Temp steps up +1C, you should see your package temp go +1C as well. What you can’t change is the CPU’s initial temperature caused by the voltage. If you start the test and cpu is 75C, that’s as low as it can be at that room/case/liquid temperature. You cannot change the rate of conductivity. And so even if you have that giant external cooling system, that does not allow you to overclock to 5.8GHz at 1.60v. The cpu is too hot the moment the voltage is applied. Heat removal is not the limitation. Voltage is always the limitation on modern CPUs. 

• Like 1

The Commander Core is the control for both pump and fans.  Another reason to use the H100i Elite Temp as the sensor choice is the controller can read liquid temp with or without CUE running.  The moment you create or assign a fan curve in CUE, it is saved to Commander Core.   You don't really need to play around with pump speed very much.  AIO coolers with their short length and low to moderate resistance don't benefit much from pump speed changes.  Fans will have more impact on both temperature and noise.  

• Like 1