Jump to content
Corsair Community

Lighting Node Core Only Working Directly Attached to Mobo


Recommended Posts

Hello There,

So the problem I am running into is that I have a Strix b450-f gaming ii motherboard. I have a 220T case that has a built in lighting Node Core. If I plug directly into the motherboard, the lighting Node works fine. If I use a NZXT internal hub, it doesn't work. Does anyone know why? I have the SATA power cord plugged into the NZXT hub and the light is lit up. I read that certain boards controller hubs can't provide the power needed, but shouldn't the NZXT hub provide that? Any help is appreciated as I'm a bit lost on how to fix it at the moment.

PXL_20220706_152954778.MP.jpg

PXL_20220706_152938984.jpg

PXL_20220706_152701636.jpg

PXL_20220706_152631321.jpg

PXL_20220706_152823601.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should also point out that the NZXT hub works fine as when I use it and my USB connection for the H100i is plugged in, I can see the LED working on the AIO and I can modify it in iCUE. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees

Hey there, if the Lighting Node Core is able to work just fine plugging it directly to the motherboard, the issue is not with the Lighting Node Core.

Unfortunately we cannot provide product support for another manufacturer's product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corsair Mars said:

Hey there, if the Lighting Node Core is able to work just fine plugging it directly to the motherboard, the issue is not with the Lighting Node Core.

Unfortunately we cannot provide product support for another manufacturer's product.

Thanks for the response. Would there be another lighting core that Corsair can recommend with this setup that will work for sure?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
2 hours ago, Coty said:

Thanks for the response. Would there be another lighting core that Corsair can recommend with this setup that will work for sure?

We can't say if it will work for sure. I suggest swapping the connections on the Hub as that one port could be defective, or your motherboard can't handle the multiple devices connected to the one hub. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Corsair Travis said:

We can't say if it will work for sure. I suggest swapping the connections on the Hub as that one port could be defective, or your motherboard can't handle the multiple devices connected to the one hub. 

I have already tried swapping the hub ports multiple times. I guess I need to consult with Asus and confirm whether or not that board supports multiple connections through a hub? I'm assuming that's my next step, correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I contacted ASUS support under case number: N2207010529. They have stated that since the motherboard slot works fine with the lighting node core plugged directly into it, and the H100i works fine plugged both into the motherboard AND the NZXT hub. That this is a compatibility issue from Corsair's side involving the NZXT hub and the lighting node core. I really don't want to be tossed back and forth with the "he said, she said" game. I just want an answer to this is all. What are my options here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a solution that will just put this entire issue to bed. I took a USB(A) to MicroUSB, ran it from the back of the mother board snaked around and plugged into the H100i. It works fine, so now I can plug the Lighting Core directly into the motherboard and all is well. Not the ideal solution, but it does work. So I found my own solution, would love to know why this doesn't work, but I guess it is what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a lot of people using that hub without issue and a Lighting Node Core is not one of devices that people have problems with. You have 2 XT AIOs in your original screenshot and that is another sign the MB is dropping the hub during boot (it picks up the XT before and after the drop and thinks you have 2 connected). If you’re looking for a likely explanation, it’s the motherboard can’t handle USB devices stacked on the same line. I don’t know if it’s voltage consistency at the port or by design the motherboard is already stacking multiple pathways on the same circuits, but this does come up sometimes on less expensive MBs where the manufacturer may have taken steps to reduce their costs. 
 

Your solution appears viable and that is one way to route the device to another part of the motherboard. If you are looking to make it all internal, a usb 3->usb 2 adapter will probably work as well, but that does mean sacrificing an internal usb 3 port. That would only make sense if you have 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

There are a lot of people using that hub without issue and a Lighting Node Core is not one of devices that people have problems with. You have 2 XT AIOs in your original screenshot and that is another sign the MB is dropping the hub during boot (it picks up the XT before and after the drop and thinks you have 2 connected). If you’re looking for a likely explanation, it’s the motherboard can’t handle USB devices stacked on the same line. I don’t know if it’s voltage consistency at the port or by design the motherboard is already stacking multiple pathways on the same circuits, but this does come up sometimes on less expensive MBs where the manufacturer may have taken steps to reduce their costs. 
 

Your solution appears viable and that is one way to route the device to another part of the motherboard. If you are looking to make it all internal, a usb 3->usb 2 adapter will probably work as well, but that does mean sacrificing an internal usb 3 port. That would only make sense if you have 2.

Thanks for the response. I agree, doesn't make a lot of sense to me to do that. The way I see it, the solution I've baked up seems to be the only viable option sadly. I'll just upgrade the board eventually. Cheers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...