Corsair Community

This AIO Setup is a good Idea? Don't see much around - 5000D AirFlow (Radiator on the SIDE as Exhaust)

LeLoT3

Hello guys!

I'm using my 5000D Airflow in a "Normal" setup:  H150 360mm in the top with the ML pushing air out.

One Exhaust (QL120) in the back, and 6x QL120 (3 side 3 front) QL120.

------------

My idea now (seeing one video from Corsair) is to move my AIO 360 to the SIDE mount and keep the ML fans as EXHAUST there, 3xQL120 as intake in the front.... and 3xQL120 as exhaust in the top and one in the rear (exhaust also)

Here it is picture to show better the idea:

it will be a good idea?  FOR SURE it will get fresh air to the AIO and cool down the CPU.... my doubts go to: GPU will still receive fresh air? and another thing... for sure I'll have negative pressure (So I'll need to clean more often the interior of my case, that will be the only down side?)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Moving the radiator out of the GPU heat zone is generally a good idea and this will get you better mixed load coolant/CPU temps, like when gaming.  The decision whether to use the MB side wall with the radiator as intake or exhaust is another matter.  The general advice is "cooler external air provides more heat dissipation ability" -- or simply lower coolant temp.  However, it's the first part of the statement that needs to be examined.  Depending on your case's relative location to its surroundings, the air from the back side of the case may not be cooler.  If you have it snug with the wall, the air back there may be warmer than the air in the case.  So then there is exhaust as you have pictured above.  The potential issue here is the side fans exert some negative influence over the front fans when they are at high speeds or it may draw heat from the GPU or disrupt the front fans air push toward the GPU.  Without that exact case setup to try, I would rather leave it other 4000/5000D owners or simply run it yourself.  Moving the radiator to the side in either of those configurations is probably better than top exhaust.  Just flip the fans on the side to see if one is better than the other.

I wouldn't worry about negative pressure.  You always can adjust the balance by changing the speed of one set of fans or the other.  Also, this is definitely an over-emphasized point.  If a dust particle comes close to an intake fan, it's coming in and will stick to the first charged surface it finds.  It doesn't matter if you have negative or positive pressure.  Unless you have a relatively hazardous environment (dust bowl, cats, etc.), you don't need to plan for this.  

A 360mm radiator is enough surface area to manage your CPU regardless of fan choice.  You can use ML-E or QL wherever you want.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, c-attack said:

Moving the radiator out of the GPU heat zone is generally a good idea and this will get you better mixed load coolant/CPU temps, like when gaming.  The decision whether to use the MB side wall with the radiator as intake or exhaust is another matter.  The general advice is "cooler external air provides more heat dissipation ability" -- or simply lower coolant temp.  However, it's the first part of the statement that needs to be examined.  Depending on your case's relative location to its surroundings, the air from the back side of the case may not be cooler.  If you have it snug with the wall, the air back there may be warmer than the air in the case.  So then there is exhaust as you have pictured above.  The potential issue here is the side fans exert some negative influence over the front fans when they are at high speeds or it may draw heat from the GPU or disrupt the front fans air push toward the GPU.  Without that exact case setup to try, I would rather leave it other 4000/5000D owners or simply run it yourself.  Moving the radiator to the side in either of those configurations is probably better than top exhaust.  Just flip the fans on the side to see if one is better than the other.

I wouldn't worry about negative pressure.  You always can adjust the balance by changing the speed of one set of fans or the other.  Also, this is definitely an over-emphasized point.  If a dust particle comes close to an intake fan, it's coming in and will stick to the first charged surface it finds.  It doesn't matter if you have negative or positive pressure.  Unless you have a relatively hazardous environment (dust bowl, cats, etc.), you don't need to plan for this.  

A 360mm radiator is enough surface area to manage your CPU regardless of fan choice.  You can use ML-E or QL wherever you want.  

hhhummmmm Very good points..

The front of my Case or side (not the glass side) it have very close contact with air draft that comes from my window.

So... taking all your tips and advices, I'll move the Radiator to the side as exhaust getting fresh air from front intake, if don't  work well, I'll try what you said, the radiator is already there, just  need to flip the fans hehehehehehe!

and like you said, just moving the radiator out of GPU hotzone, it's already a plus! ahhahaha

About  dust, it's normal, and  I have dog with short hair, it don't "float" where my tower it is.

Thanks for the help!