Corsair Community

i300 still overheating?

I am thinking to buy one of this prebuilt SSFs, doubting between this i300 or the MSI Creator 12th. 

Their price difference (at least in my area) is not really that big and the easier availability and size can justify the increased price of the i300. 

However if I am going to drop 4k-5k for a computer I would like to be 100% sure there are not known issues. As I understood Corsair was going to release a BIOS update to address the overheating issues. 

Have they done it? Is the pc still overheating? 

I've had my i300 for about six weeks and have had no problems with overheating.  I had an i160 for three years before this new one, and both have worked perfectly. 

• Like 1

@Artie  Systems are not overheating. Basically you have to be ok with setting fan to constant 70+% and the system will be fine.  If you don't feel comfortable setting the fan to a constant 65% (Absolute minimum I would go) I wouldn't purchase.  Really isn't much noise to be honest.

• Like 1

Folks have different preferences, I guess.  I set my fan at 40%, where it runs at ~950 rpm and is essentially silent.  It ramps up as needed, and I've never had a problem with overheating.  Or even come close to having a problem.  

Frankly, I'd be fine running at the Default (0 rpm) setting.  The fan curve works fine.  I just set a higher minimum because I can get more even cooling and still have a mostly silent system.       

• Like 1

it depends what i300 you get.

the higher end ones do pop up in the forum from time to time because they run hot. The case is too small to dissipate heat from very high end components, that's why Corsair limits the boost of said components on high end SKUs (taking a hit on performance to keep thermals under control).

If yours doesn't run hot that's cool, and the ambient temperature varies also from user to user. But if i were you i'd keep an eye on the SSD temperature. That's one of the reasons why people speed up the fan, even if CPU/GPU don't need it

• Like 1

I monitor the the SSD temps and they're fine.  Top out in the mid-50s and then for only short periods. 

Probably also depends on your use case.  I do some office-type work (emails, Word, etc.) and gaming, and only the latter stresses anything.  As a full-time video editing machine, the heat and stress would be much higher.  And I would hesitate if that were my use case.

But for the average user, the i300 is fine.  There's literally nothing else on the market like it for the combination of size, performance, silence and not looking like a kid's PC.  Closest thing to a Mac in the PC space.  There are trade-offs, but well worth it if the form factor is important to you. 

Just a question because I think the differences here are the card you got. @Queeg I think you got the basic 3080 while all the complains with overheating it seems to come from the 3080ti version.

Could that be the case? Just to keep in my mind, I was thinking to buy the ti version but I'd like to have everything very clear and maybe i can avoid the overheat issues. 

I do have the 3080 and can't speak directly to the 3080ti.  But I think the CPU is the real heat issue - the 12900k puts out a lot of heat.  All the reviews out there are of the 3080ti version, and they all focus on the CPU as being the area of concern.

I'll let the others weigh in, but my advice would be to buy what you want and not worry about it. 

Different issue, but I personally don't think the modest increase in performance with the 3080ti is worth the hefty price difference.  Depends somewhat on the resolution you will game at, but the performance difference between the 3080 and 3080ti is about 8-10%.  The price difference is $700-$950 depending on where you buy (Corsair direct vs. Amazon).  It's a matter of personal preference, of course, but I was happy to go with the 3080.

As I posted in another thread, my initial plan was to buy one of new the 1440p QD-OLED monitors, but I finally broke down and bought a 42-inch OLED 4K TV for use as a monitor and couldn't be happier.  The 3080 gives me plenty of FPS even at 4K.  And the cost savings over the 3080ti paid for most of the cost of the TV. 

• 6 months later...