Corsair Community

HX1200 Problems

So I just finished building a new system and did the first power test to get to the BIOS.   I have all cables hooked up and when I flip the PSU switch and then hit the case power switch thisn happens....

Fans jiggle for micro second, the PSU clicks, and then my Dominator DIMMs light up but they are the only thing that shows life.   No life on the MOBO or on the QL fans.   I have tried isolating everything to the point of only the MOBO getting power with the same result.  I have tried single vs multi-rail; settings as well as plugging CPU cords into different PCIE ports on PSU since they are interchangeable on this PSU.

I have seen in the past where about 2 years ago there was a batch of HX1200 that did the same thing.

Looking for other suggestions, I have submitted a request to Corsair as well for help.

Did the PSU test as was mentioned on the Corsair site and PSU appears to be good.  So After singling out the MOBO by removing all the other components, I am going to replace that.  New MOBO should be here late today.

• Corsair Employees

Hey there keep us posted, if you end up having issues with the PSU we can go ahead and get you assisted by our Support Team.

10 hours ago, Old_Man said:

Did the PSU test as was mentioned on the Corsair site and PSU appears to be good.  So After singling out the MOBO by removing all the other components, I am going to replace that.  New MOBO should be here late today.

Well Crap!   Different motherboard same problem.

try disconnecting all the front panel wires to the motherboard except the power button ?

there's been (rare) instances of short curcuits in front panel boards that would short circuit 5V for some reason. That's a long shot but worth trying.

2 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

try disconnecting all the front panel wires to the motherboard except the power button ?

there's been (rare) instances of short curcuits in front panel boards that would short circuit 5V for some reason. That's a long shot but worth trying.

Thanks for the idea, but still no go.  I'm thinking it's the PSU at this point.  I have read online about similar issues that turned out to be the PSU.

17 hours ago, Corsair Mars said:

Hey there keep us posted, if you end up having issues with the PSU we can go ahead and get you assisted by our Support Team.

yes please.   I have this ticket submitted already  #2005379886.  But there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction in the last 3 days.

• Corsair Employees
4 hours ago, Old_Man said:

yes please.   I have this ticket submitted already  #2005379886.  But there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction in the last 3 days.

Thank you! Will leave a note on the ticket, expect a response from support soon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsair Mars said:

Thank you! Will leave a note on the ticket, expect a response from support soon.

Thanks, working with Ryan in returns now.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,  I am at a loss at this point.

New PSU showed up today.  Same problem.  Since I had some new cables I swapped them one at a time, same issue each time.   Pulled out GPU and tried to use on board graphics.  Same issue.  DIMMs light up and RGB on MOBO lights up but nothing else happens. 

In the past I tried removing each component until I was left with CPU/MOBO/DIMMs and PSU.  Bare minimums.   I even tried removing one of the DIMMs and only leaving one.   I now have tried two different MOBOs(different vendors) and 2 different HX1200 PSUs. 

Any other suggestions?

I pulled the CPU on the extremely rare off chance that it was a bad CPU.  Same issue.

I pulled the S/N from both Power supplies, could it be a bad lot

21527113000027070788 - original
21527113000027070693 - Replacement

At this point I have double and triple checked all cable connections.  I'm on empty for ideas.

20220711_165702.jpg

20220711_165651.jpg

20220711_165719.jpg

20220711_165728.jpg

20220711_165740.jpg

20220711_165744.jpg

no boot LEDs or Q-code popping up?

5 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

no boot LEDs or Q-code popping up?

no, MOBO RGB   and RAM light up, and PSU clicks.  Nothing else after that.

this one is a mind twister. The only thing i can think of so far is maybe a short circuit on the motherboard.

The case only has standoffs for the positions you use (full size ATX)? You didn't add standoffs on unused positions? the mobo tray is not warped in any way and making contact with the back of the board?

Same for the AIO backplate, no metal-metal contact?

If you manage to have the Dominators to light up, there's some 5V making it (5V or 5VSB), but i feel like things go sideways when you try to turn on all the rails when pushing the power button.

Hard to say, remotely, but i'm leaning towards either short circuit protection, or bad CPU not sending the power good signal to the PSU (that would suck)

just simple dust that you cant see can cause that i had that years ago on ram slots , unplugged hovered slots it fixed it just don't use the brush attachment as it causes static or just use caned air but some can spit out water so watch that, extreme use electric contact cleaner 

3 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

this one is a mind twister. The only thing i can think of so far is maybe a short circuit on the motherboard.

The case only has standoffs for the positions you use (full size ATX)? You didn't add standoffs on unused positions? the mobo tray is not warped in any way and making contact with the back of the board?

If you manage to have the Dominators to light up, there's some 5V making it (5V or 5VSB), but i feel like things go sideways when you try to turn on all the rails when pushing the power button.

Hard to say, remotely, but i'm leaning towards either short circuit protection, or bad CPU not sending the power good signal to the PSU (that would suck)

So far I have tried two different Motherboards -  MSI Z690 Carbon and now I have a Asus ROG Z690-E.   Both have exhibited the same problem.   I'm taking the PSU to a friends house tonight to try it on his system.   If it works then I am still within the time frame to return the CPU and get a new one.  If it doesn't work then I think Corsair might have some issues with this particular lot code of PSU.

16 hours ago, Old_Man said:

So far I have tried two different Motherboards -  MSI Z690 Carbon and now I have a Asus ROG Z690-E.   Both have exhibited the same problem.   I'm taking the PSU to a friends house tonight to try it on his system.   If it works then I am still within the time frame to return the CPU and get a new one.  If it doesn't work then I think Corsair might have some issues with this particular lot code of PSU.

One thing to try is have the motherboard sitting on a box outside the case to eliminate the possibility of a short somewhere due to standoffs mentioned by LeDoyen.

Also, I did not see anywhere on the thread where you tried a different PSU, I know you've tried 2 HX1200is but if you have an old working PSU around, could you try that?

21 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

I guess I forgot to answer these questions.   True,  the case only has standoffs  for the ATX size of motherboard.  I can't say for the AIO backplate shorting the through the case.  However I don't think the way the backplate is designed that it comes in contact with any potential p[arts that could short.  This 5000T case has the RGB controller normally where you would see the hole in the back of the motherboard tray.   I can look around the edges of the Motherboard and see at lease 1/4 in gap all the way around.

P.S.  I tried to see if I could take a picture of the area where I see one of the AIO frame legs but I just can't get my phone to focus as there is so much cabling and such.

UPDATE:  New CPU didn't fix anything.  I did gut the system and try to boot from outside the case.   Using a screwdriver for my power switch it seemed to boot as i started to get codes and such.  So based upon earlier comments about the cooler bracket possible shorting I covered the entire backside of the cooler bracket in electrical tape to insulate it.  Put everything back together and problem is back.  

Only thing I can possibly see that is different about this case then others I have used,  is that it uses a peg to support the mobo in the center.   I'm going to remove that peg tomorrow and see if that solves what is potentially a shorting problem.    I'd be surprised though because all the other standoffs on the case are not insulated either from the mobo.

This has been about the most frustrating computer build I have ever done.

the standoffs are supposed to be conductive, usually it's an earth connexion. Sometimes that peg in the middle is plastic actually, so it shouldn't do anything ^^'

Lots of cases have that middle peg to help maintain the board when inserting the first screws. it's very common.

your test outside the box was without the AIO ?

Have you tried booting with the AIO disconnected (usb and power) in case it might be faulty? The water will still soak heat to allow you to boot to bios if the cooler is causing trouble.

35 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

the standoffs are supposed to be conductive, usually it's an earth connexion. Sometimes that peg in the middle is plastic actually, so it shouldn't do anything ^^'

Lots of cases have that middle peg to help maintain the board when inserting the first screws. it's very common.

your test outside the box was without the AIO ?

Have you tried booting with the AIO disconnected (usb and power) in case it might be faulty? The water will still soak heat to allow you to boot to bios if the cooler is causing trouble.

Correct, the test outside the box was without the AIO.  I just plugged in a spare fan into the CPU fan header.   I just tried the same thing as you suggested. I unplugged both USB and Power for the AIP and also plugged in the same fan into the fan header.   No luck, same problem.  

I have also tried to loosen the screws holding the pump in case I tightened them too tight.   I also loosened the screw holding back plate the corsair commander sits on to increase space between the back of the CPU and the commander core.  In each case the same problem occurred. 

This morning I disconnected everything but power but left the mobo in the case to mimic the power on condition outside the case.  Didn't work.   So now i got to think there is some kind of interference with the board and the case or some grounding issue with the case.   Shy of covering the back of the motherboard with some type of insulator I am at a loss.

OK covered the back in electrical tape to cover anything taller than surface mount.  See attached picture.  Placed board into case and ONLY connected power.   No front panel, no USB, no AIO, no Graphics card,  Same issue.

To me that is saying there is an issue with the case, am Ii correct or reaching for something at this point?

20220716_081718.jpg

Posted (edited)

It's Alive!!  It's embarrassing the problem.  I've been on PCs since 1981.  Building them through the years until now.  So you would think I could plug a PCIe cable in correctly and not backwards.  3 weeks of debugging and swapping parts.  I never noticed it till now.  When I was debugging outside the chassis. 

I told my wife her husband is so smart he's stupid.  Now to update the BIOS and start all the software downloads.

Much thanks to all those that offered help and gave some great advice!

BTW  I just broke the glass side panel picking it up to put it on......  Sheesh

20220718_170615.jpg

Edited by Old_Man

Damn.. the cable shouldn't even fit backwards... that's brutal 😛

that means you short curcuited 12V to ground each time. At least you know the short circuit protection works fine!