Corsair Community

Problems with 2 sticks of CMX512-3200C2PT

I have 2 sticks of CMX512-3200C2PT, and am experiencing serious errors when running at anything over 166Mhz on the FSB.

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe revision 2

Bios rev 1013

Barton 3200+ CPU

Default settings in the bios for the memory 2.5, 3, 3, 6

The problem started as Blue screen of death in Windows XP

After many failures I was told to try using a program called memtest 1.55

I have run this program as described on the forums and the system returns errors almost instantly on each pass.

At first I fault it was a motherboard fault as both sticks showed errors independently, however I have now tested the memory in 3 different systems of differing specs as follows

Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939

FX53 CPU

This system run at 200 MHz FSB instantly showed errors in memtest

The other worrying thing is that the memory heat sinks seem to be getting extremely hot “to hot to touch almost” after only a few mins??

In desperation I tried the two sticks in a friends ASUS motherboard he has a similar setup although I’m not sure of revision level

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

Barton 2800+ CPU

FSB 166

And for the first time memtest seems to run with out errors for at least 90mins I was not able to test for longer than this, however it showed that the memory only seems stable running at 166 MHz FSB.

Please could you advise me, as I feel the memory must be faulty as it seems unable to run at 200 MHz.

I have used corsair memory for many PC’s and have always been pleased with it, I just feel a bit gutted that this stuff is misbehaving.

P1010057.thumb.JPG.eef8ece22eee4d3a26d4d2e6fd51699f.JPG

• Corsair Employees
With a AMD XP CPU running at 333 FSB you would need to run the memory at DDR333 and I would test the modules one at a time but set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and if you still get errors with them, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

With a AMD XP CPU running at 333 FSB you would need to run the memory at DDR333 and I would test the modules one at a time but set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and if you still get errors with them, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Hi thanks for the response, as I said above when the memory is run at DDR333 i.e. FSB 166MHz in the bios it works ok no problem apart from the heat.

However this is in a friends pc not my own and his CPU is meant to run at that bus speed. My PC is a 3200+ and has a 200FSB i.e. DDR400

And no matter what I try, I can NOT get it to run without errors.

I’m also a bit worried about taking the voltage up to 2.75v “I’m not even sure if it can go that high??” But with the temperatures they seem to be running at presently, going above stock voltage would seem even more dangerous.

Please let me know what you think. Or should I just follow the RMA link?

Lets get them replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I have just tryed the online form 3 times, but it keeps returning errors i will try the excel form and e-mail

What is the error its giving you? RMA Form Fails: "No Referrer" perhaps?

Ok thanks for your fast responce, I have now e-mailed it and just disabled my firewall "Norton 2004" and it worked ok.

Thanks for your replies and help, I look foward to getting an RMA, how long will this take do you think? end to end i mean, just to give me an idea of how long the PC will be out of action.

• Corsair Employees

RMA's are normally answered with in 24 hours, but I would suspect you would have a reply by tomorrow morning at about 10:00 AM Pacific time.

And the average turn around time is about 5-7 business days.

Archived