Corsair Community

So yesterday i upgraded my motherboard from a lenovo prebuilt which had no XMP function to a Asus ROG Maximus xii extreme. This allowed me to upgrade my ram to Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 (2x16GB DDR4 @ 3600). While i do love the way they look it does bug me that there are two open slots. So here is my question: Can i use Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 (2x8GB DDR4 @ 3600) to fill in the empty slots? Or are they gonna interfere with eachother? I recently spent a lot of money on the upgrade en would prefer it if i could spend less.

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Blazekingz said:

Can i use Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 (2x8GB DDR4 @ 3600) to fill in the empty slots?

I would recommend you do not.  Mixing RAM always carries some unknown risk of failure.  The more factors you throw into the mix, the lower your odds of success.  The second kit is going to have a different density.  That's strike 1.  They have similar XMP timings, so they could have the same IC, but there is no guarantee and that would be strike 2.  With two factors against you, I would only recommend it if you are experienced or willing to learn to hand clock your RAM timings at the secondary and tertiary level.  It will not be set XMP and go.  I also would only try if you are buying from some place that will accept the second kit back opened, without hassle.

If it's any consolation, as a 4 module Dominator owner I often wish for just 2.  4 modules can sometimes overwhelm the other MB lighting elements.  There is also a temperature consideration.  The LED type of on the Vengeance Pro runs a bit warm.  With two modules, you are going to get good cooling around each one.  In a stack of 4 the inner stick will pay a temperature penalty.  You might look at your temps now.  If you are already at 55-60C during normal use, that is another potential obstacle to making 2 different sets work together.  

• Thanks 1