Corsair Community

Fans speed up when windows locks

I have a custom curve for my AIO fans, but when i lock windows these fans all speed up, possibly switching to a standard curve? this doesnt happen on other controllers. Screenshot shows speeds when locked and then drop when unlocked

Screenshot 2.jpg

This is the Commander Core from one of the Elite Capellix packages?   I’ll take a wild guess that you are using H100/115/150/170i Temp as the sensor choice for your “coolant” custom curve, but make sure. H1xxi Temp is the only variable the controller can read when the software is not running.

Does this happen at boot/shutdown as well?

On 6/24/2022 at 12:38 PM, c-attack said:

This is the Commander Core from one of the Elite Capellix packages?   I’ll take a wild guess that you are using H100/115/150/170i Temp as the sensor choice for your “coolant” custom curve, but make sure. H1xxi Temp is the only variable the controller can read when the software is not running.

Does this happen at boot/shutdown as well?

Its a h170i Capellix. Is there a set speed for when windows locks? I was wondering if you can have different speeds per prfile how it would know which to save. How do i make sure Temp is the only variable the controller can read?

The Commander Pro/Core/XT should each save the active fan curve to the device the moment you initiate in CUE on a per header basis.  No further action needed, but this is also a double edged sword.  If you save a curve that is get to something like GPU temp with the bulk of the action in the 60-80C range, it will save that curve but then be unable to get the GPU temp data without the software.  What happens next depends on the controller, but it will either substitute the only data source available or lock out at the last known fan speed.  

For the Commander Pro and XT, those temp sensor probes on the device are the native source and it can get that data with or without the software.  For the Commander Core, it should be the coolant temp data from the pump.  In CUE that is referred to as H170i Elite Capellix Temp for your model.  If your "COOLANT" curve has H170i Temp in the sensor field under the graph (yellow arrow below), then it should not be losing control when you lock the PC.

If for whatever reason this is not working as expected, one possible workaround is to create a "locked profile".  This a CUE software profile with or without lighting, but a fan curve with a fixed RPM or PWM% set to a minimum value.  This will keep the fans at the lowest possible state while the PC is locked.  You then switch to the 'locked' profile prior to locking the workstation.  

Screenshot (230).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right this is very confusing. i noticed my coolant temp jumped 2 degrees on windows locking, causing the fans to go up. Could not figure out why, ended up removing windows 11 and doing a fresh windows 10 install. Problem was still there. Change to another sensor (CPU) and the problem is gone. Coolant no longer showing as 2 degrees higher.

Still an issue, when i run Cinebench with ICue running, the fans ramp up, the CPU never goes above 80c. If i close ICue and run cinebench the fans dont ramp up and PC crashes with CPU high temps.

Is the controller not saving the profile? Im confused but its got to be down to ICue or the controller.

Edited by t1971

Something does not seem right.  Probably time to contact Corsair Support, but I'll be interested to hear about the resolution.