Corsair Community

Bad memory

ewolff

I have been having off and on issues with random BSOD crashes on my computer for a few months now. It has progressively gotten worse to the point that it would crash every five minutes this weekend. I isolated the cause of the problem to two of my four memory sticks. Once I pulled out the bad sticks all my problems went away.

To make sure it was not a problem with runing four sticks of memory, I put in only the chips I suspected to be bad and I started having BSOD crashes again. I have included my system configuration below if you need it.

I have two 1gb kits of ValueSelect PC-3200 Cas 2.5, VS1GBKIT400

System Configuration

Asus A8n-SLI

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

2gb Corsair PC-3200

2x XFX GeForce 6600gt

2x WD Raptor 73.4gb

• Corsair Employees

With this MB and more than 2 modules you would need to run the memory at DDR333 and I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

The memory automatically dropped to 333 when I put in all four sticks (I bought the kits at different times). I will run memtest tonight. It is strange that one kit works fine and one does not.

One more question, I put heatspreaders on the memory. Will that be an issue if I have to RMA the chips?

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to running Memtest. I had to test both sticks at the same time because my system would not post with only one stick of memory. I let memtest run for four hours straight and it produced 776,192 errors. Screenshot of memtest is below.

http://www.ulink.net/crossroads/stuff/memtest.jpg

I am going to send in both sticks as I have no way of determining if one or both sticks are bad. :mad:

Archived