Corsair Community

Looking to upgrade PSU without having to re-wire PC

Hello i have a gaming prebuilt computer i bought and i wish to upgrade the power supply from 750 watts to something higher such as 850W, 950W, 1000W. the current PSU i have is the 750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750 80 PLUS Gold. However, i want to see if someone can provide me the specific product that will allow me to just swap out the power supply without having to do any re-wiring of the existing setup. (Basically, just remove the old PSU block and plug in the existing cables to the new one.) i struggle to understand the chart that corsair provides when wanting to do something like this so i am asking for someone to send me a link to or specify the specific power supply i need to purchase so i can just swap out the blocks.

I would appreciate any responses!

6 minutes ago, Corsair Elito said:

Hi VinylNasp,

Could you include the part number of the PSU?

It starts with a "CP-"

I am unsure what the part number is as i do not have that documentation anymore. and i cannot open my pc at the moment to look at the part number but it is the 750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750 80 PLUS Gold

from the corsair website this is the part number: SKU CP-9020195-NA
RM Series™ RM750 — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU (corsair.com)

Edited by VinylNasp

3 minutes ago, Corsair Elito said:

Hi

It would be locate on the tag of the PSU, because different generations of the same PSU could use different cables.

If you can provide that part number, I can tell you which type of cables it uses. Thanks

i will have to open my case and remove my radiator to get to the PSU identification information so i will get back to you on this, unless i can contact ibuypower to see if they can provide me with the specific part number

at worst, you will be able to keep all the cables except the motherboard 24 pin, depending on what RM model it is. So that's not too bad.

Your cables are going to be different. Dont fry a 1000 watt psu because you didnt want to take 20 mins to swap out cables. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VinylNasp said:

i will have to open my case and remove my radiator to get to the PSU identification information so i will get back to you on this, unless i can contact ibuypower to see if they can provide me with the specific part number

Aida64 or HWiNFO64 should give you the info that you need. - I cant remember the name of a power supply program that starts with an O someone knows what I'm talking about

Edited by c0rrupt

it's not an RMi PSU so it won't be connected through USB to gather data and model name.

all the RM (2019 and present) are type 4 for SATA, PCIE, EPS12V, and PATA. The only difference is the 24 pin cable that is type 3 on older models and type 4 on the newer. but they are physically impossible to plug to the wrong PSU. That's why the SN is needed.

No risks to blow stuff up, but a risk to miss one cable 🙂