Corsair Community

Bad RAM, RMA?

ingle

I have VS1GBKIT400 LOT# 0443031-0 (two 512MB modules).

I have run them for 6 months in a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 20" iMac. They ran with no problems until two weeks ago at which point the computer froze with a kernel error. I could not reboot until I took out this memory and put in the 256MB module that shipped with the iMac, at which point it booted just fine, and runs with no problems. When I place the memory back in, it does not boot (dies by some kernal panic during bootup).

The Mac hardware test does not find an error with the memory, although the inability to boot is directly tied to it's presence in the computer. I have found the following on the web

"While the Apple Hardware Test will almost invariable find defective RAM, there have been situations where defective RAM has been missed. As RAM problems are the leading cause of kernel panics, you may wish to perform additional RAM tests. Additional methods of testing RAM include testing by process of elimination. "

My test by elimination suggests that it is a memory problem.

thanks

• Corsair Employees
Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and if you find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that might suggest some other problem and I would try testing them in another system if you can.

Archived