Corsair Community

Twinx Cmx512-3200llpt - Rma?

Solter

Hi

I have a pair of TWINX CMX512-3200LLPT that have been running fine for about 2 years - very stable. A couple of weeks ago, the system started getting unstable, often failing to POST. I've finally tracked it down to one of the ram modules.

The system boots fine with one of the modules, and memtest86 runs for hours with no failures.

With the other module the system won't even post (so can't get far enough to run memtest86).

I've also tried different slots for the modules etc - the system consistently fails to post with the bad ram in.

Removing all drives, cards from the machine doesn't help (ie not a power issue), and it's got a Vantec 500+ psu from memory.

The system's a P4 2.66 on an MSI motherboard, running at 533FSB. Motherboard settings are set to SLOW performance, ram timings set by SPD.

Is this enough info to RMA the memory?

Do all RMAs go to the US or is there an Aus location?

The modules are meant to matched-pairs - what's the deal when one of a matched pair goes bad? Are both replaced by another matched pair?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

Yes, if one is failing then you should get the pair replaced. But please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived