Corsair Community

Help needed with Hardware Lighting.

Mortician

So I use to have a K70 RGB MK.2 and imported a profile I found online called Subtle is beautiful 2.1 and used that for the few years I had the keyboard. Now this worked fine for when I was using my PC and also worked fine for when I would switch my keyboard over to my Nvidia Shield and I didn't have to do anything to get it working.

Now I have the K70 RGB Pro and when I import that same profile it's only working on my PC and not on the Shield? From I what I gather is that I need these settings within the Hardware Lighting section for it to work when iCue isn't running... but I see no way to do this? How can something work on both PC and Shield without any difficulty and now it seems impossible? I've been jumping through hoops for hours now trying to figure this out.

You need to recreate the lighting profile in Hardware Lighting in any profile (or the specific K70 PRO HW1, HW2, HW3 profiles).  Then you need to save it to the device.  This is done through the device settings tab at the bottom of the list. All those profiles you've downloaded are software profiles.  They must be manually translated into a viable hardware lighting profile and all KBs have different capabilities in that regard.  

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

You need to recreate the lighting profile in Hardware Lighting in any profile (or the specific K70 PRO HW1, HW2, HW3 profiles).  Then you need to save it to the device.  This is done through the device settings tab at the bottom of the list. All those profiles you've downloaded are software profiles.  They must be manually translated into a viable hardware lighting profile and all KBs have different capabilities in that regard.  

See that's what's so stupid. How come I didn't have to spend hours upon hours with the K70 RGB MK.2? It took me 2 seconds to import the profile and no other steps required and it worked like a charm on both PC and my Shield. Now I have spend 2 days going back and forth taking pictures and writing down color #'s? This is my last Corsair product... cause this is downright stupid AF. I should be able to simply copy it directly into the Hardware Profile.

Are you sure you didn’t manually save it on the MK.2 at some point?  That KB also has three HW save slots. If I remember correctly that lighting pattern is a few static colors. It would not have taken long to replicate. Additionally it was written several years ago and profiles are device specific. They must be programmed for anything new that comes along. Fortunately keyboards are pretty uniform in layout, but you likely had some missing keys when importing to the K70 Pro that has a standard bottom row. 

The entire purpose of software profile vs hardware profile is the lighting saved to the KB must be capable of running from the MCU in the KB, as opposed to software profiles that can use full system resources. This is why most KBs have limits on the number and type of effects that can be stored. I think your new K70 Pro has the increased storage and processing to handle full effects, but it and the K100 are the only two like that. Perhaps this is something that will change as more keyboards become capable of running complex effects from memory. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Are you sure you didn’t manually save it on the MK.2 at some point?  That KB also has three HW save slots. If I remember correctly that lighting pattern is a few static colors. It would not have taken long to replicate. Additionally it was written several years ago and profiles are device specific. They must be programmed for anything new that comes along. Fortunately keyboards are pretty uniform in layout, but you likely had some missing keys when importing to the K70 Pro that has a standard bottom row. 

The entire purpose of software profile vs hardware profile is the lighting saved to the KB must be capable of running from the MCU in the KB, as opposed to software profiles that can use full system resources. This is why most KBs have limits on the number and type of effects that can be stored. I think your new K70 Pro has the increased storage and processing to handle full effects, but it and the K100 are the only two like that. Perhaps this is something that will change as more keyboards become capable of running complex effects from memory. 

The 70 KGB Pro can only handle 20 layers and the Subtle is beautiful 2.1 has 46 layers. Tried messing around with them to see if I could make it look good with only using 20 but wasn't happy with anything. Ended up just using a couple presets and I'm "content" with how it looks.

As for using the profile in the past... I'm almost certain I didn't have to do anything. I believe I used it on 2 or 3 of my past 5 corsair KB's. Now to see how long this KB last, as 3 of the 4 past ones ended up having issues where they were randomly typing letters like up to 5 or 6 times. Like... Heeeeeello therrrrre. LoL.

I did pick up an EVGA KB and though I do like it... I'm not a fan of having the extra row of programmable keys on the left side. Totally throwing me off with my typing because of how I hold my left hand at a certain position. I boxed it up when this one came... figure I at least have a fallback KB in the event this one has issues.

Edited by Mortician

I must be out of date on that profile. I probably had the original which did not have 46 layers. The K70 MK.2 was limited to 5 static colors or one preset for saved HW lighting, so I don’t think it could have been saved directly to the board. Regardless, recreating a 20 or 46 layer pattern is certainly tedious.  I’ll try and download a copy and look at it later, but maybe a series of color shifts or gradients would be a decent alternative. Some people prefer a distinctly different software vs hardware lighting effect so it’s immediately obvious if CUE is not running when operating on the PC.