Corsair Community

Hydro 100i RGB and Asus TUF gaming Z590 installation

Posted (edited)

Hello everybody

The title says all. On my Asus TUF GAming Z590 PLUS motherboard, there was installed an H100i RGB pro XT liquid cooler by a OEM retail firm.

I noticed that the H100i connector is apparently plugged to the CPU FAN connector instead of the AIO PUMP connector on the motherboard.

Seems that it is what is recommended by the H100i installation manual

When setup, the Motherboard obviously reports N/A for the AIO PUMP rpm. But iCue reports the correct actual pump speed.

Asus Ai Suite is completely lost and reports a wrong speed for the pump

My question is then: Should I remove the Pump plug from the CPU Fan connector and plug it to the AIO PUMP connector (Asus manual says it is at full speed by default), so AI Suite correctly reports the Pump speed

See picture attached The Chassis Fans are reported to 0 except for one in AI suite, and ICue reports other speeds from which I don't know

Any help appreciated. Thanks

(forgive my bad English, I'm French!)

image.thumb.png.2ce142d9ad72f00ced316236ded9de0d.png

Edited by JacquesZ

it is connected to CPU fan to avoid having your PC beep when it boots because of the CPU fan alarm feature.

You can disable the CPU fan alarm and plug the connector to AIO pump, but it's really not needed since AI suite has no control at all over the AIO.

The cable is only to report the pump speed to get rid of the CPU fan alarm.

And.. both iCUE and AI suite show the right pump speed in some way 😛

AI suite sees the raw signal from the pump, which has two impulses per rotation (for balancing purposes). 

iCUE divides that value by 2 to show the actual RPM.

iCUE RPM = AI suite RPM / 2 basically

Le rotor des pompes à eau (AIO ou custom loop) ont deux petits aimants intégrés pour détecter la rotation (deux aimants pour garder l'équilibre).

Donc le signal est toujours doublé. la carte mere voit 4700 impulsions par minute, ce qui est correct, mais ca équivaut a 2350 rpm en réalité. iCUE divise le signal par 2 pour afficher la vitesse de pompe. AI suite n'a aucune idée si c'est une pompe ou un ventilo donc il affiche toujours le signal brut.

• Like 1

Leave it on cpu fan. As described above this satisfies the MB’s boot safety feature, but also the AIO fan header has no special properties or abilities. Its a chassis fan header that has been locked at 100% by default. On some boards AIO fan can be unlocked and used like a regular fan header if needed. CPU and OPT will never act like a regular fan header. They were designed to be the 1/2 fan control for an air cooler and react accordingly with quick response and some hidden parameters that cause the fans to react heavily to rapid cpu temp change. None of those things are in play with water cooling so cpu fan is a good place to stick the AIO lead, as it would otherwise be unoccupied. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your answers. So I gather that 2370RPM or so for the pump as reported by iCUE is the correct (read nominal) pump speed?

Edited by JacquesZ

correct.

Yes and pump speed can only be adjusted through CUE on that model.  Changing the motherboard header will have no effect as the connector has only a tachometer wire.