Corsair Community

Fault Module

Hi,

Bought 1 GB (2 x 512Mb) Corsair twin value select PC 3200 DDR2 modules in January 2005. Everything ran fine until about two weeks ago when my system would just freeze & hang after about 5mins. Eventually got to the point where it would not boot. Tried re-installing operating system, and got loads of errors when trying to copy set-up files to hard drives. Tried different hard drives, etc still no joy. While reading at tech forums up on similar problems reliased it could be a faulty memory module.

Ran the memory86 test as your forum suggests and got several errors. Tried the first module only in the first DIMM slot and ran memory test, all was fine and after 10 passes no errors. Tried the second module on its own in the same DIMM slot and got continual errors right from the start.

Can I assume that this is a safe bet that it is a faulty memory module?

My system is:

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard

AMD 64 3Ghz processor

3 x SATA Maxtor Hard Drives

System Bios revision is F4, and all the settings have always been at the default voltages and 'auto' for select modes (nothing is over clocked).

Assuming it is a faulty module, how do I return it, and can I return both since they were a matched pair from a twin pack.

Thanks for any help

D

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts (+.2 Volts) as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived