Corsair Community

latest icue 4.24.193 jams my ram led hardware lighting

Posted (edited)

hi.

I have updated my icue to the latest version 4.24.193 yesterday.

As usual you can never update this software without crossing your fingers.

95% of the times you fix something and you get another issue on the other side.

The last icue update jammed my ram leds hardware lighting.  it's set on rain but when i suspend my pc the leds get stuck on just like they are

in that moment.  so half light up or off.  just right there static.

os is windows 11 fully updated.  icue 4.24.193.   my ram sticks are 2x16gb vengeance rgb pro.

I removed the 4.24.193 version and re installed the previous 4.23.137 and it's working fine.

I wonder why we should always be scared of updating our software instead of being happy to see a new update. that's really sad I think.

this rgb stuff only bring problems.   I'll never buy any rgb hardware anymore the next time I'll update my pc  

Edited by zultan

• Corsair Employees

Make sure your BIOS is fully updated, and if you have Armoury Crate installed, go to the Update Center and make sure the Armoury Crate software and its individual modules for your hardware is fully updated as they pushed updates out recently to Armoury Crate.

I'm with zultan on this one.  I am too having this issue.  I have just updated to the newest version of iCue as well as Updated Armoury Crate and all its modules are up to date.  The only difference I can tell from zultan is I have different RGB Effects and I'm still on Windows 10 as I have been waiting for Microsoft to fix many of the issues with Windows 11 that people have reported and the reviews become better before I upgrade (which I plan to do hopefully during this summer).  Not only this update crashes iCue just like with version 4.22.203 and older.  I had completely uninstalled both Armoury Crate/Sevices and iCue when 4.23.137 was released and the only problem I had with version 4.23.137 was it wouldn't re-sync with Philips Hue.  Glad to see in 4.24.193 this was fixed, but now the crashing is back and the Hardware Lighting for my Vengeance RGB Pro Ram will stay on even though I have nothing set when in sleep mode.  Not only this my RAM randomly gives me the Red Triangle Error when resuming from sleep/after a restart and freezes the RGB Effects.  I've had this in the past as it was conflicting with RGB Fusion 2.0, but since 4.23.137 I removed RGB Fusion 2.0 and didn't have a problem.

Now I have some other issue with my computer that I will try to fix late when I can, but I don't think they are related to this problem as I now see from zultan this could be an issue, others maybe having.  Not only that I haven't tried to do a complete uninstall and fresh install of both Armoury Crate/Services and iCue yet as I just did that last update but may see if that fixes the issue.

• Like 1

• Corsair Employees
14 hours ago, MPHDodgeDaytona said:

I'm with zultan on this one.  I am too having this issue.  I have just updated to the newest version of iCue as well as Updated Armoury Crate and all its modules are up to date.  The only difference I can tell from zultan is I have different RGB Effects and I'm still on Windows 10 as I have been waiting for Microsoft to fix many of the issues with Windows 11 that people have reported and the reviews become better before I upgrade (which I plan to do hopefully during this summer).  Not only this update crashes iCue just like with version 4.22.203 and older.  I had completely uninstalled both Armoury Crate/Sevices and iCue when 4.23.137 was released and the only problem I had with version 4.23.137 was it wouldn't re-sync with Philips Hue.  Glad to see in 4.24.193 this was fixed, but now the crashing is back and the Hardware Lighting for my Vengeance RGB Pro Ram will stay on even though I have nothing set when in sleep mode.  Not only this my RAM randomly gives me the Red Triangle Error when resuming from sleep/after a restart and freezes the RGB Effects.  I've had this in the past as it was conflicting with RGB Fusion 2.0, but since 4.23.137 I removed RGB Fusion 2.0 and didn't have a problem.

Now I have some other issue with my computer that I will try to fix late when I can, but I don't think they are related to this problem as I now see from zultan this could be an issue, others maybe having.  Not only that I haven't tried to do a complete uninstall and fresh install of both Armoury Crate/Services and iCue yet as I just did that last update but may see if that fixes the issue.

Sounds more like you are also running other RGB controlling software at the same time as iCUE which will cause the problems you are experiencing, which is a completely different issue from what he OP pointed out. 

Same problem here with my ram and the latest icue, everything on ASUS side is up to date.

I'm on Windows 11 with the latest bios.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Corsair Notepad, you clearly didn't read or understand my post.

I have a total of 4 RGB Programs running and when I update each one I always shutdown the others to prevent errors. I used to have 5, but I completely deleted/removed Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0 because it always interfered with iCue.

These programs are:

• iCue: As of right now version 4.24.193.  I don't have the RAM Plug-in.
  • Asus Armoury Crate: Newest version on everything including Modules.
  • Logitech G Hub: Newest version as of May 31st, 2022.
  • Philips Hue Sync: Newest version as of May 31st, 2022.
Edited by MPHDodgeDaytona

Forgot to add in last post BIOS of Motherboard is up-to-date aka F15 for Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7. Anyway, here is all my proof with screenshots/photos of the issue.

Photo of Armoury Crate only showing, but not controlling my Asus Strix GTX1080TI and all things iCue is controlling (GPU, RAM, Philips Hue, Keyboard, 7 Fans 6 QL's and 1 LL, and 4 Light Strips). This is after a restart. and everything is working fine.  RAM IS WORKING AS INTENDED

image.thumb.png.1c8fda32c96a54c37b0de7d1a245583b.png

Photo showing everything is up-to-date in both Armoury Crate and iCue.

image.thumb.png.543934fd98fe38c4f33ecf989a27bb0f.png

Photo showing I don't have Corsair's RAM plug-in installed. Notice sorted by Publisher.

image.thumb.png.ff690fe8b087cd833ff2729aab20e407.png

Photo showing no Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0 Installed, again notice sorted by Publisher.

image.thumb.png.6448bb27fdb9eed50c7b86f645c1d2a3.png

Hardware Lighting for RAM: None

image.thumb.png.52d22c8fb0f5f95cc86a7f31301fe1e4.png

Lighting during Sleep with iCue version 4.24.193, SHOULD BE OFF AKA NO RGB AS THERE IS NO HARDWARE LIGHTING SET.

20220601_143308.thumb.jpg.9ccf96d56b1c93a2c00bf601b554dad2.jpg

iCue crashes after waking up from sleep. Doesn't happen everytime, but does happen 70-80% of the time.

Restarting/Opening (if it didn't crash) iCue after waking up from sleep, notice RED TRIANGLE ON RAM

image.thumb.png.89192b6d78c759fb5fff0fb90ced539f.png

RAM RGB frozen after waking up from sleep, RAM Sticks 1, 3, & 4 are frozen and stick 2 is OFF. All other RGB works fine.

20220601_141450.thumb.jpg.6154fd3fffd82d12ef7de6548e651328.jpg

Only a restart will fix the issue, I plan on reverting to 4.23.137 and see if this is fixed like zultan as clearly version 4.24.193 is flawed.

image.png

image.png

Update: I reverted back to iCue version 4.23.137 by just uninstalling version 4.24.193 via control panel's Uninstall a Program and keep all my personal data.  I restarted then downloaded the old version via https://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_4.23.137_release.msi and installed.  It gave me the RED TRIANGLE after completion of said install and opening of iCue, but a quick restart it was working again.  Now I don't have the Hardware Lighting issue, no crashes, & no RED TRIANGLE or Freezing RAM RGB.

MUST I REPEAT I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE; I DIDN'T REMOVE ARMOURY CRATE (WHICH IS STILL UP-TO-DATE AS OF MAY 31ST, 2022), I DIDN'T DO A FRESH INSTALL, NOTHING.  JUST A SIMPLE DOWNGRADE AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING AS INTENDED.  I'M SORRY TO CALL YOU OUT "Corsair Notepad", BUT YOUR SCRIPTED REPLIES ARE OF NO HELP TO US THAT ARE HAVING THESE ISSUES AND THIS NEEDS TO BE SENT UP THE LINE TO THE TECH'S THAT CODE THIS PROGRAM AS THE LATEST VERSION IS CLEARLY UNSTABLE.

• Corsair Employees

My replies are not scripted but come from years troubleshooting the same issue. If you wish for some further in-depth assistance with your issues @MPHDodgeDaytona go to http://help.corsair.com, create a support ticket, and then PM me the ticket number and I can get you in contact with someone who will be able to assist. But if this was indeed an issue with 4.24.xx then it would be a widely reported issue, and a reproducible issue. As it stands right now the reports are you and the OP, and can't be reproduced on 5 completely different test benches/systems that I personally have access to.

I want to say sorry for saying you are using a scripted message when you aren't, but just to clarify why I believed this was the case.  Before I replied I checked a few forums about similar issues.  Anytime an Asus product was involved and you personally replied, you seemed to always reply with this same response; "Asus Armoury Crate and iCue can't be running at the same time".  To me that feels scripted.  Now why can't Armoury Crate and iCue be running at the same time if someone needs to use Armoury Crate for something else not related to RGB (I've seen people having to use it for a fan curve).  You also can't just disable Armoury Crate if you have it installed; trust me I've tried and it just relaunches seconds later. You either have it installed or you don't thus defecting the purpose.  Now I can understand you can't be controlling the same products within Armoury Crate and expect them to work in iCue as well, but that's not the way you worded it.  You worded it as we can't even have Armoury Crate running or even use it if we want our Asus products to work with iCue, but we have to have it installed in order to use our products.  The way you say it conflicts how Armoury Crate and iCue need to both be running in order to work together.  Second, most of us that are asking for help in my opinion realize that you can't have RGB running in 2 different programs at the same time and not have issues, but I could be wrong.  In my case I knew this before your reply and expected more help in understanding the issue instead of an answer I saw you post multiply times in other forums.  Again, I understand you can't reproduce it, but out of 8 systems (your 5 and our 3) that's almost half with the issue.  I've seen other's with these RAM problems as well, just not the Hardware Lighting one as it seems new and related to iCue 4.24.193 from my findings.

Another Update:  I fixed the Hardware Lighting issue by downgrading to version 4.23.137, but was still crashing and freezing upon waking from sleep unlike before I updated to 4.24.193 the first time.  So I uninstalled Armoury Crate and iCue the specific ways as per the official documentations AGAIN just like a did a few months ago.  This time I installed iCue version 4.24.193 first, rebooted, then imports all profiles/screens/etc., then I closed it completely out by exiting via the notification tray and making sure it wasn't running in task manager.  Then I installed the newest version of Armoury Crate and only installed it not the Aura Creator (don't know if that matters, but I never use it so why use up space this time).  I then restarted again and now everything is working as it should again, but this time on the newest version of everything, no crashes, freezes, or Hardware Lighting Problem.

When I first updated to 4.24.193, I updated it then, exited it via the Notification tray, and made sure it was wasn't running in task manager.  Then I updated Armoury Crate.  The only differences between the 2 installs I did was; I Updated each program the first time where I did a fresh install of both programs the second time and the first time I didn't make sure Armoury Crate wasn't running in the Task Manager as like I said in my apology reply above I can't as it relaunches seconds after ending the task.

The only thing I don't understand is why does it seem to always screw up when there is an update for iCue.  The only thing I can think of is if one program is running it will mess up the other and again like I said in my apology reply above you can't disable Armoury Crate from running if it is installed.  So in order to update iCue so it won't corrupt I would need to first uninstall Armoury Crate, update iCue, then reinstall Armoury Crate every update.  This is annoying, tedious, and time consuming if this is the case.

• Corsair Employees

The original poster to this thread is on an Asus board, and based on his systems, and having experienced the same issues he had, it was most likely the Armoury Crate and the software modules for his devices not being updated, as the same thing happens to my system if I have Armoury Crate installed and updates are needed. The issue is not an iCUE issue, but an issue with Armoury Crate doing weird things when it wants to update, including messing with RGB on DRAM, until it is updated. Your issue presents as similar but is not going to be the exact same issue since you aren't on an Asus motherboard.

The reason you can't run iCUE at the same time as other motherboard RGB controlling software such as Armoury Crate, Mystic Light/MSI Center/MSI Dragon Center/etc... , RGB Fusion, etc... is that RGB memory is controlled the same way through all the programs. The iCUE software controls DRAM RGB over the SMBus, which is the only way to control it, and when other RGB programs attempt to take control over the SMBus it causes a conflict preventing iCUE from being able to control the RGB. Similarly when the iCUE software closes and you are running those other programs, they then have the opportunity to take control over the SMBus, so when you are expecting the hardware lighting to take effect it doesn't, instead the other RGB program is then either in full control, or causes it to bug out leading the memory to have what looks like a random effect. 

That being said if you still feel like you are having problems and you wish for more in-depth troubleshooting, create a support ticket, and PM me the ticket number. I can then get your ticket in the hands of someone who will be able to help you out further.

Thank you for being more clear this time. I understand now what is going on when you say more than one program can't be running at one time know as I have also had that issue myself with Gigabyte's RGB Fusion 2.0 even though I don't have the Corsair RAM Plug-in installed and my RAM never showed up in either RGB Fusion or Armoury Crate. But I think I found the solution to the orginal posters problem. After I wrote last, I thought I had everything fixed, but I noticed today my GPU wasn't being controlled by iCue even though it shows it was and it was disabled in Armoury Crate and when I switched control between the two it worked in Armoury Crate.  So while troubleshooting I decided to uninstall and reinstall Armoury Crate again incase the install corrupted the intergration with iCue last time, but this time I installed Aura Creator as well.  After doing this my GPU started working again and my RAM I thought was still okay, but when I put it in sleep the Hardware Lighting would stay lit like before. I thought I was back to square one. Luckily I uninstalled the newly installed Aura Creator and the Hardware Lighting Problem went away.

Now I don't know if it is the newest iCue update or the newest Aura Creator update, but I believe one is conflicting with the Hardware Lighting of the RAM. They never used to do this.  It's not a problem for me as of right now I only have one Asus product (my GPU) and I rather control it within iCue because I think iCue is better at customization.

Anyway could you see if this is the case on your benchmarks "Corsair Notepad" and if it does act up we may have found the culprit. This info may help the other two posters with their issue as they may not be aware that this is the issue if you find it to be true.  If it doesn't act up for you and if the others see this post and try it themselves; I'm sorry that it didn't help, but I thought if my finds could help, the better off everyone will be.

Anyway I believe my system is this time truely fixed; at least until the next update.

I'm also having an issue with my ram staying on when putting my computer to sleep and only my ram.

Guess I spoke too soon.  Resumed from sleep today to check a few things online and then put it back to sleep.  Now the Hardware Lighting bug is back.

Just a FYI for right now:

• I have everything up-to-date and again a fresh install of Armoury Crate and iCue as of an hour ago.
  • I didn't reinstall Aura Creator this time again.  SO I WAS WRONG ABOUT that PROGRAM BEING THE CULPRIT.
  • It works fine the first time I put it to sleep and if I immediately wake up my computer repeatedly and put it back to sleep I have no problems. But if I put my computer to sleep a second time and let it set 5 minutes or more, wake it up, and then put it to sleep it bugs out and the RAM won't shut off its RGB.
  • I got looking into the problem more and if I disable the "Plugins" setting under the "General" tab of iCue it goes back to working the way it should.  But I must be controlling my Asus products (only a GPU) now from Armoury Crate and have both programs running at the same time for everything to work correctly.  My RAM's RGB won't work correctly if this "Plugins" setting is enabled.
  • It has to be something that changed in the code of the newest versions of either Armoury Crate or iCue (maybe both), as this didn't happen in the previous versions at all.  But then again if I downgrade just iCue to the previous version without a fresh install of both it all bugs out.  Anyway, I can live with using the too different programs running at the same time, but would love to have control of my GPU in iCue instead of Armoury Crate for the better customizations I can create, but not at the expense of having my RAM's RGB running 24-7 well in sleep mode as I can't sleep in my room with the lights blaring in my face.

• Corsair Employees
6 hours ago, TheLastElite said:

I'm also having an issue with my ram staying on when putting my computer to sleep and only my ram.

You are going to need to setup the hardware lighting profile to either not have an effect set which will turn them off, or set it to a static color of black.

5 hours ago, MPHDodgeDaytona said:

Guess I spoke too soon.  Resumed from sleep today to check a few things online and then put it back to sleep.  Now the Hardware Lighting bug is back.

Just a FYI for right now:

• I have everything up-to-date and again a fresh install of Armoury Crate and iCue as of an hour ago.
  • I didn't reinstall Aura Creator this time again.  SO I WAS WRONG ABOUT that PROGRAM BEING THE CULPRIT.
  • It works fine the first time I put it to sleep and if I immediately wake up my computer repeatedly and put it back to sleep I have no problems. But if I put my computer to sleep a second time and let it set 5 minutes or more, wake it up, and then put it to sleep it bugs out and the RAM won't shut off its RGB.
  • I got looking into the problem more and if I disable the "Plugins" setting under the "General" tab of iCue it goes back to working the way it should.  But I must be controlling my Asus products (only a GPU) now from Armoury Crate and have both programs running at the same time for everything to work correctly.  My RAM's RGB won't work correctly if this "Plugins" setting is enabled.
  • It has to be something that changed in the code of the newest versions of either Armoury Crate or iCue (maybe both), as this didn't happen in the previous versions at all.  But then again if I downgrade just iCue to the previous version without a fresh install of both it all bugs out.  Anyway, I can live with using the too different programs running at the same time, but would love to have control of my GPU in iCue instead of Armoury Crate for the better customizations I can create, but not at the expense of having my RAM's RGB running 24-7 well in sleep mode as I can't sleep in my room with the lights blaring in my face.

As I have pointed out several times at this point if you require further assistance you are going to need to create a support ticket at http://help.corsair.com

On 5/31/2022 at 11:38 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

Make sure your BIOS is fully updated, and if you have Armoury Crate installed, go to the Update Center and make sure the Armoury Crate software and its individual modules for your hardware is fully updated as they pushed updates out recently to Armoury Crate.

Corsair please stop accusing Asus or others to make things problematic and work on solving problems.
We don't care if it's an asus problem, a msi one or a corsair one, we bought corsair products with RGB and we want to make it work using corsair software.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:55 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

You are going to need to setup the hardware lighting profile to either not have an effect set which will turn them off, or set it to a static color of black.

As I have pointed out several times at this point if you require further assistance you are going to need to create a support ticket at http://help.corsair.com

I did not have anything set on the hardware profile but I did try a black hardware profile but am still having the same issue.

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2022 at 11:38 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

I see my post got got fully alive....  I just wanted to thank  @Corsair Notepad for his reply and say that everything is updated here.

win 11, armoury crate and icue latest version.   everything was working fine except my ram sticks freeze when the pc is suspended.

they should be on "rain" but they get stuck half on half off just like they are in that moment.

I removed icue, re installed the previous version and they work.  this really sounds like an icue issue to me.

I could update again and see if the issue persists...  

Edited by zultan

2 hours ago, zultan said:

fine except my ram sticks freeze when the pc is suspended

@zultan Can you confirm this is only when waking from sleep and not on a normal cold boot or restart?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, c-attack said:

@zultan Can you confirm this is only when waking from sleep and not on a normal cold boot or restart?

no no, maybe I was not clear enough.  my ram freeze going to sleep. not waking up from sleep.

it must have something wrong with the hardware mode.  it's set on rain and when I send my pc to sleep the ram freeze just like they are

in the last moment.   they can be off or on on half on half off (depending on where the "rain drop was").

I reverted to 4.23.137 and the hardware mode is working again.  pc sleeping and ram showing the light effect.

Obviously I'm not going to update icue for a while.

Posted (edited)

OK, that seems like a new thing to me.  We've seen issues on wake before when all services try to resume at the same moment rather than the normal staggered start with a power on/restart.  I don't recall freezing when entering sleep mode coming up before.  It should continue on and I can't replicate it.  CUE should quit right before things power off and it should be in HW Lighting Mode prior to the actual sleep/off phase.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1

c-attack, zultan is explaining it correctly the RAM is staying lit and freezes it's effects while in sleep mode.  So when my computer is awake for the first time I have rainbow wave lighting link set for all RGB devices and each light will change color one after another like it should, when I put my computer into "SLEEP" though all lighting will shift to hardware lighting then shutoff, except for the RAM modules. My RAM modules will keep running the software lighting profile that was set until they freeze the last second to the color last displayed via the software lighting profile and stay lit instead of shutting off like all other lighting.  An example when it freezes at the last second; module one is Dark Blue, next module Blue, next module Dark Green, last module Green aka the blue/greens of rainbow wave.  Sometimes one or two of the modules will turn off and the two to three others won't, but this happens randomly.  Then when I wake my computer up from sleep as it has bugged out all device lights in my computer will resume the hardware lighting profile that is set for each RGB device until iCue resume and then it will resume the software lighting profile aka Rainbow Wave like it should, except for the RAM as it is still frozen on the color it was on within sleep (from above in this example would be the blue/green lighting).

All previous versions of Armoury Crate/iCue the RAM would only do this if iCue had either a hardware profile set or another program was controlling it via the "CORSAIR RGB Memory Plugin for ASUS AURA SYNC" (screenshot highlighted below).  I haven't had this plugin installed for over a year, so it hasn't been a problem for me lately.  In my experience even though this plugin was for Asus Aura Sync, it worked in Gigabyte's RGB Fusion 2.0.  With this plugin installed it will allow you to control the lighting for the Venegance RGB Pro RAM (and possibly the other Corsair RGB RAM modules, but I don't have/tried the other versions) outside of iCue.

The picture at the bottom is my system while in sleep mode, no programs are running (as it's in sleep mode), no hardware lighting was set (no lighting control even pure black), everything was up-to-date, the only programs that can control RAM RGB are iCue and Armoury Crate are installed, the above plugin is not installed, and only iCue is set to control the RAM at the set time.  Like I say I've seen it before, but only when iCue wasn't controlling it or Hardware Lighting was set, once I set it to only run in iCue and/or removed the Hardware Lighting it worked like it should.  Since the latest updates to Armoury Crate/iCue this doesn't work anymore, the only way I can fix it now is to sever the communication between Armoury Crate and iCue via the plugin within the "GENERAL" tab of iCue's settings or uninstall Armoury Crate entirely (redering my GPU's RGB uncontrollable).

I'm not sure if it's:

• One of the 3: iCue, the plugin within iCue settings, or Armoury Crate
  • A combination of 2 of the 3 programs conflicting with each other
  • Or all 3 causing a conflict

Like I say I'm not too worried as I have a workaround, but will try my best to help get this fixed for everyone.

221887939_Screenshot_20220606-210923_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e221fcab30392e12c2f6fa44ef906e95.jpgimage.png.6d7d14af69f4474312173008a7f33e57.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
1 hour ago, FLARE_STX said:

my ROG STRIX display card had lost connection with icue after updated 4.24.193 on win11

tried every thing even reinstalling OS do not help at all

Is this an Nvidia GPU? Which driver version are you on? The lack iCUE GPU recognition with Nvidia's latest game ready driver installed is a known issue as of right now and would require a rollback to driver version 512.95

• Like 1