Corsair Community

Corsair i300 - installing an additional SSD

Hi. I have an i300 i9-12900k with 64gb ram and an Nvidia 3080Ti installed. I have a spare Crucial MX500 2 TB SSD which used to be installed in a PS4 which is no longer being used and I thought that this would be nice to have as an internal drive.

However, when the SSD is installed internally in the empty SSD bay (using power connector in the i300 and a short sata lead to the motherboard sata connector)in the i300, the i300 does not power on at all . There was a slight click from the PSU, but that was it. On removal of the SSD, everything is fine and the system powers on, boots and runs as normal.  

Any ideas? Is it a power draw issue or compatibility? What make/model/capacity of SSDs have people successfully installed and used?

13 hours ago, Casubon said:

Hi. I have an i300 i9-12900k with 64gb ram and an Nvidia 3080Ti installed. I have a spare Crucial MX500 2 TB SSD which used to be installed in a PS4 which is no longer being used and I thought that this would be nice to have as an internal drive.

However, when the SSD is installed internally in the empty SSD bay (using power connector in the i300 and a short sata lead to the motherboard sata connector)in the i300, the i300 does not power on at all . There was a slight click from the PSU, but that was it. On removal of the SSD, everything is fine and the system powers on, boots and runs as normal.  

Any ideas? Is it a power draw issue or compatibility? What make/model/capacity of SSDs have people successfully installed and used?

I moved a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB from my i160 to my i300.  Used the power cable already there and the SATA cable from my i160.  No boot problems.  I did have to tweak some things in Disk Management to get the drive to show up.  But all good otherwise,

The SATA connectors on the motherboard are very close to the memory sticks.  Any chance the SATA cable unseated one of the memory sticks?  Or maybe try a different SATA connector.  There are four, I think.  Or a new cable?

I tried it a couple of times - each time I used a different SATA connector on the board. Removing the memory/no properly seating it results in the PC being able to power on (but it doesn't post), so I don't think it is that - the i300 simply does not power on when the SSD is connected to power. 

Space is tight within the case - my thought was that maybe with the power cable being plugged into the SSD (and maybe the SATA cable as well) that perhaps something had come unseated, with the most obvious candidate being the connector for the power switch. But just removing the SSD seemed to fix it, so really not sure what is going on (am typing this on the i300 right now - is all ok!). As I said, on pressing the power button  I did hear a click from the power supply, which sounds like a cut-off maybe (not sure about this). Am going to use the SSD in an external caddy for now and maybe try and figure it out over the upcoming bank holiday weekend in the UK...