Corsair Community

Defect Corsair CMX512-3200XL

amette

Hello Ram Guy,

I'm running this module on an Abit AV8 board with a AMD 3000+ Winchester CPU.

I realized, that I got problems with my RAM when installing Gentoo - I couldn't compile anything. MemTest86+ then gave me a lot of errors. I tried to fix it by lowering CPU-Frequency (Abit board overclocks by default) - didn't help. Tried to raise RAM-voltage a little (helped a bit). Now I'm running my shiny 2-2-2-5 modules with a CAS Latency of 3 and that enables me to run my system - though I still sometimes get a segfaulting compiler etc.

I copied these over from a friend's system (same board/CPU/Ram):

DRAM Command 1T

CAS Latency Time 2,0

RAS# to CAS# Delay 2cl

Min. RAS# Active Time 5cl

RAS# Precharge Time 2cl

Row Cycle Time 12cl

Row Refresh Cycle Time 14cl

RAS# to RAS# Delay 2cl

Write Recovery Time 3cl

Write to Read Delay 2cl

Read to Write Delay 3cl

They give me errors in the first 10 seconds of MemTest, although they look pretty good to me.

Please look at those values and correct them, if necessary.

How to proceed?

Thanks in advance

amette

• Corsair Employees

First thing, XMS3200XL modules have a minimum suggested voltage of 2.75 Volts, so please make sure that you have the latest Bios for your MB and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and just let the bios set the memory timings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing.

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Ok, I did as you told me and it turns out, that only one of the modules fails - at different memory-adresses, but always with the error bit 00004000.

First thing, XMS3200XL modules have a minimum suggested voltage of 2.75 Volts, so please make sure that you have the latest Bios for your MB and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and just let the bios set the memory timings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing.

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived