Corsair Community

DRAM Frequency and Timings

Purchased 2x vengeance rgb pro 8GB 4000MHz C19 DIMM's for my ASUS x570-f, had them running with docp, all fine with 2000MHz IF. Then added another 2 dimms which forced me to drop the frequency to 3600MHz and 1800MHz IF with docp (first build noob sorry). Potential problem now is my timings seem to be off in comparison to running 2 dimm's. Anyone have these dimm's or encountered these circumstances and can point me towards maximising performance here? Screenshots below thanks 🙂 

Screenshot 2022-05-27 123144.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 123312.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 123342.png

• Corsair Employees

Your issue is going to be due to mixing memory kits and expecting them to work in a configuration that neither kit is validated or guaranteed to work in. Our memory kits are only guaranteed to work in the configuration in which they are packaged and sold as, with the respective matching stick. Attempting to mix memory kits, such as you are doing, can lead to incompatibility issues such as XMP/DOCP not working correctly, system stability issues, or even preventing the system from booting. 

By the looks of it your system isn't running into stability issues but the additional stress on the CPU's integrated memory controller by populating all four DIMM slots has lead the system to force looser timings in order to be able to run all four modules together at 3600MHZ. This isn't going to be anything we can assist with as its an unsupported configuration mixing those two kits, and we are unable to assist with any sort of overclocking optimizations as you are asking.

It's impossible to help tweaking two different kits, with different ICs. It's really up to luck at this point as to what will work or not.

If i were you i'd just get a kit of 3600 CL16. they will have better latency than 4000 CL19 and may be easier to run due to the lower frequency anyway since you don't have to push the IF as high.

Either stick to one kit, or get a whole new kit of matched memory with the capacity and speed you want.

Apologies these are two of the same 2x kits, only difference I can tell is 2 are micron and 2 are samsung, if all 4 were samsung or micron would this be different to purchasing a 4x kit? Been working perfectly fine with docp and manual adjustment to 3600/1800. Anyway I've managed to reduce the timings following the corsair overclocking guide https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052448851-Tips-on-safely-overclocking-memory

System seems to be stable at 3600/1800 at 16-20-20-42 1.4v, ram temps sitting at ~30c. Notable increase in performance. Tested with normal usage low demand tasks, gaming, cinebench r23 and 3dmark. Any ram specific stability tests I could use? 🙂

Same part number doesn't mean they are the same sticks as you saw. Even with identical primary timings, the secondary, voltages and whatever may vary. And of course they have never been tested together. Also running 2 sticks at tight timings is always easier than 4. Results will vary depending on what CPU you got, silicon lottery, motherboard DIMM topology etc.. so Corsair can't guarantee anything outside of what's on the box (2 sticks only).

If you get a 4x kit, the memory chips will be identical, and tested to work together.

For testing, you can try https://www.memtest86.com/ and see if it gives any errors.

• Corsair Employees
3 hours ago, jobrien94 said:

Apologies these are two of the same 2x kits, only difference I can tell is 2 are micron and 2 are samsung, if all 4 were samsung or micron would this be different to purchasing a 4x kit? Been working perfectly fine with docp and manual adjustment to 3600/1800. Anyway I've managed to reduce the timings following the corsair overclocking guide https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052448851-Tips-on-safely-overclocking-memory

System seems to be stable at 3600/1800 at 16-20-20-42 1.4v, ram temps sitting at ~30c. Notable increase in performance. Tested with normal usage low demand tasks, gaming, cinebench r23 and 3dmark. Any ram specific stability tests I could use? 🙂

You are still mixing two separate kits that are only guaranteed to work in the 16GB (2x8GB) configuration they are sold as. Mixing two kits, of even the same part number is not something that is recommended or guaranteed by the warranty. Further complicating it as you point out both kits have completely different memory ICs.

I see thanks for the info 🙂 good job I'm Irish hopefully luck is on my side here lol. Copied the timings for the 4x8GB 3600mhz C16 kit now, ran half of memtest with no errors, temps sitting on ~30c idle and approached 40c during memtest. Great performance increase fingers crossed all stays stable, will update otherwise 🙂

hi @LeDoyen

I'm writing here in this post as I have a similar question:

I have a 2x16gb vengeance rgb pro kit 3200mhz.  Could I add another kit now or it's better not to?

may they work?   I don't need to reach the ram speed world record but I don't want to get in trouble and then rma the modules.

I have enough issues at the moment with my rgb stuff...

1 hour ago, zultan said:

Could I add another kit now or it's better not to?

Do you need another 32GB?  The 2x16 should be enough for anyone not running heavy professional loads. If you are running 30-60 min batches of something, you definitely don’t want it to freeze up 57 minutes in and typically you run more conservative settings to begin with. 

As above, no guarantees on if it will work. Besides physical differences in the modules, your cpu internal memory controller and MB physical characteristics factor in as well. So this might work on motherboard A with CPU #1, but not even boot on motherboard B with CPU #2. There’s no way to know until you try. Manually setting timings will be required for sure. I think 4x16 mixed on a Z390 board is a bit risky. Your Hero X will have no problem with 4 modules, but 4 double sided 16 gb modules might not be as easy on the CPU IMC. That was one of the improvements going forward on 10900k and 11900k. 

If you really need the 64GB, you might need to lower frequency with a mixed kit and it can take a lot of work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

Do you need another 32GB?  The 2x16 should be enough for anyone not running heavy professional loads. If you are running 30-60 min batches of something, you definitely don’t want it to freeze up 57 minutes in and typically you run more conservative settings to begin with. 

As above, no guarantees on if it will work. Besides physical differences in the modules, your cpu internal memory controller and MB physical characteristics factor in as well. So this might work on motherboard A with CPU #1, but not even boot on motherboard B with CPU #2. There’s no way to know until you try. Manually setting timings will be required for sure. I think 4x16 mixed on a Z390 board is a bit risky. Your Hero X will have no problem with 4 modules, but 4 double sided 16 gb modules might not be as easy on the CPU IMC. That was one of the improvements going forward on 10900k and 11900k. 

If you really need the 64GB, you might need to lower frequency with a mixed kit and it can take a lot of work. 

well, i don't know if I really need it.  I thought that I could "complete" my setup (even though now my motherboard could handle 128gb with the right bios)

before they don't sell these rams anymore.   my X hero is a good Z370 board and I'm using an i9 9900k.

I understand that different kits with different memories could result in having issues.

I thought I could because I have been using mixed rams in the past and they were working fine.

I'm talking about the Q6600 times.  I had a good asus board and I was using 12gb of ram: 2x4gb and a single 4gb module in the other channel.

I know it could sound strange but they were working fine. no issues.  can't remember the ram brands (all good  ones).

I was sure that after using such a weird setup, two similar kits (even if not twins) could work fine.

probably things have changed since then.

Posted (edited)

Module density is an issue.  With 4 GB modules, they are single sided.  Those 16GB ones will be double sided and quadruple the density.  That is where things start to become difficult.  

If you are looking to change up the RAM or want the "full deck" of 4 modules, you might look to see if there are 4x8GB kits around.  I was running 4x8 at 4000 on my Formula X and XI.  With DD4 being phased out, this type of kit might be close in price to another 2x16.  Memory capacity is not necessarily valuable to everyone.  If you can find a new 4x8 kit and move up to 3600-4000, that might feel nice and offer a chance to change the RAM LED type if there is something else you fancy.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1