System randomly restarts

Basically what the title says.

Here are some specs on my computer.

Pentium 4 520 @ 2.8GHz

Abit AS8 Motherboard

Two sticks of CMX512-3202C2

1. XMS3202v5.1 0451065-0

2. XMS3202v1.5 0521076-0

I ran the MemTest for one cycle and the results gave me around 290,000 errors in 23 minutes.

Chipset Intel i848/i865

ECC: Disabled

FSB: 204

PAT: Disabled

Settings

Ram: 204MHz DDR408

CAS 2.5-3-3-8

Dual Channel 128 bits

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alvin

• Corsair Employees

Alvin,

With this platform you cannot mix memory, all of the modules would need to be matched. If you just purchased these modules please talk to your reseller and see if they will let you send them back and get a Twinx set instead.

Alvin,

With this platform you cannot mix memory, all of the modules would need to be matched. If you just purchased these modules please talk to your reseller and see if they will let you send them back and get a Twinx set instead.

Thanks for the quick response. I had just purchased one of the sticks about a week ago from newegg.com. The other one was purchased a while back. Is there anything I can do to make this setup work other than replacing both sticks?

• Corsair Employees

You can try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and install the modules in single channel and set the timings manually to the following:

Dim Voltage to 2.7x Volts

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

So to no surprise, my system crashed again. I am no longer running it in dual channel mode, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of purchasing another stick of memory for dual channel purposes. I ran the memtest program right after reinstalling the sticks and i began to get errors. I am assuming that this is not normal.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry, but with this MB both modules should be identically matched. Please contact our Customer and ask if they can help you get the modules replaced for 2 that match by sending us an email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the RMA please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve

your board is not made to run with different rev. # RAM, as most, if not all boards are. Buying mismatching RAM is always a bad idea and just asking for problems. You should have bought 1 gig of 2x512mb RAM instead, even if it was value ram. I don't know how much you spent on that 1 stick of RAM, but a gauranteed matching pair of 2x512mb valueselect ram runs about $80 or so. A gauranteed matching pair of 2x512mb non-valueselect ram still runs under the $150 range depending on what you model you get. I just got some 3200C2PT's for $113.

I'm also not sure how experienced you are with computers/parts, but whenever you're planning on buying anything, I mean anything, even something as simple as a case or a fan, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. I don't think anyone can say that more.

I'm not saying that you didn't research, but it seems like you didn't...or at least didn't throughly enough.

I originally had one stick of xms3200-512 and it ran flawlessly. I had just recently purchased the second stick of xms3200-512, assuming that it would be the same, it was the same model afterall. Was I wrong to have made that assumption?

yes as all parts come with different revisions.

If you know anything about SLI, for example, you MUST have identical video cards. Even if you were to buy the same exact video card from the same exact company with the same exact model number 2 months after you purchased your 1st video card, there is a good chance the SLI will not work. The reason for this is that the BIOS on the video card may be different (this is fixable, but still a pain in the butt)

Manufacturers are always making changes to their products to make them better. After all it's what the computing world is about...getting faster and being the fastest.

If you just purchased your RAM, do what the Ram Guy said and try to return them and buy a matching set of RAM (TWINX in the case of corsair) They hand test each module to make sure they will work in dual channel mode. You'll probably get dinged for shipping and a restocking fee, but that's what happens w/o research.

I've learned this myself (although it's more ASUS's fault than anyone elses...they claimed a processor was supported when in fact it wasn't).

You could buy another stick of the same RAM that you just purchased, but again, this is not guaranteed as they are not tested. It would be the same as the mentioned SLI scenario above. Your absolute best guaranteed fix is to return and buy a matched pair of RAM unfortunately.

And yes, you will have an extra stick of RAM (your old ram) lying around. This isn't a bad thing though. You'll never know when a spare stick will come in handy.

You see, I never knew that I couldn't use two different sticks of ram. My friend was running two different brands of ram and it was fine for him. Ofcourse he's using a different proc and mobo. But hey at least I know now, and hopefully won't make the same mistake again. In the end, it's all a learning experience.

yeah, the learning process for computers is frustrating. I've had a couple of instances where I just wanted to throw the damn thing out of the window....MANY MANY TIMES....eitherway, good luck. Hope you can still return that RAM for only a minor loss and get some twinx.

BTW, is your friend running dual-channel w/ 2 different sticks?

When you ran memtest, did you run them 1 at a time, or with both in the system?

Try the sticks 1 at a time...maybe that one stick you bought is bad

Update...

I received my RMA after two days and it's working flawlessly. I ran MemTest and there were no errors for the first two minutes so I just rebooted the system.

I would also like to thank Corsair and RAM GUY for the warm hospitality given to me.

Once again, thanks.

Alvin

Archived