Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 Voltage Question in Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

I bought 2 512MB DIMMs of Corsair Value Select RAM (part # VS1GBKIT400) for use in an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with an Athlon XP 3200 Cpu running at stock 2200 MHz speed. The RAM is running at 200 MHz (DDR 400) with stock 2.5-3-3-8 timings as set by SPD and 2.6v.

I had some random crashes in Windows after installing this RAM so I tested it with memtest86. If I run all of the tests, it fails in test 5 after several hours. If I run only test 5, it always fails within 15 minutes.

Other RAM works perfectly in this same system and passes all tests. If I run the Corsair RAM at 166 MHz, it passes all tests, but of course the performance is much lower.

The Corsair RAM is labeled 2.6v so I thought it should work at this setting, but I also tried increasing the voltage. 2.7v didn't help, but at 2.8v it works great and passes all tests. Since it only works at 2.8v does this mean the RAM is defective and I should RMA it or is this normal for this motherboard? Is it ok to run it at 2.8v or will this reduce it's life or void the warranty? I use this computer for my business and it needs to be 100% stable.

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees

Getting errors in test 5 or 8 would normally suggest some other problem, and if the memory will pass at 2.8 Volts then I would just run them at 2.8 Volts. And all of our DDR 1 modules are rated up to 2.9 Volts so you should be fine.

In addition, I would do an advanced search for the this model and my name and I think you will fine many posts about this MB.

Archived