Corsair Community

Commander Core not appearing in iCue

Hi again guys,

(Been absent for a while now due to job changes, COVID, general life stuff - you know the drill !!!)

So my build I started 3 years ago has finally seen the light of day after a number of changes of direction.

I am currently using a new H100i Elite LCD 240mm AIO as a cooler while I work on the bends and tube routing for when it goes Hydro X,

That AIO comes with a Commander Core in the box, but that Core is not showing in iCue and I believe it should be. The cooler works perfectly, cooler itself is recognised, RGB is all good, fans operate as expected - my only question is should I be able to see the Core in iCue as a device?

I am aware of the issue with AMD motherboards not supplying enough power via the on board USB headers and I have ordered the NZXT powered hub as the solution to that, but it will be the usual several days before that arrives. Just wondering if there is anything else I can try in the meantime, or am I trying to solve a problem I don't actually have?

At the moment the USB connection from the cooler is plugged into one of the 2 motherboard headers and there is no other device connected anywhere apart from the M2 NVMe stick and I have an AX1500i PSU and a 3070Ti so I am pretty sure power into the mobo is fine, but as for the power coming out of the onboard header - that may well be my issue.

iCue is the latest version: 4.23.137

Other devices that are showing correctly are:

- H100i Elite LCD

- Vengeance RGB Pro 

- K100 RGB Keyboard

- Dark Core Pro mouse

Thanks as always guys.

Sal

The powered usb hub should take care of it and this is the expected result on AMD x570 (or x470 with bios updates) and later boards. The only other potential workaround would be an internal 9 pin to USB A cable so you could connect it around back at I/O but that is not something most people have lying around. 

In the meantime, the defaults on the Commander Core are reasonable (unlike the Commander Pro), so you should be ok to run until the hub arrives. The fans will ramp up with coolant temp increases, should be fairly quiet at the desktop level, but you will be seeing rainbows until it can communicate with CUE. 

10 hours ago, c-attack said:

The powered usb hub should take care of it and this is the expected result on AMD x570 (or x470 with bios updates) and later boards. The only other potential workaround would be an internal 9 pin to USB A cable so you could connect it around back at I/O but that is not something most people have lying around. 

In the meantime, the defaults on the Commander Core are reasonable (unlike the Commander Pro), so you should be ok to run until the hub arrives. The fans will ramp up with coolant temp increases, should be fairly quiet at the desktop level, but you will be seeing rainbows until it can communicate with CUE. 

Thanks c-attack. This build build has been going for 3 years so far - I think I can wait a few days for the hub to arrive 🙂

Interestingly I have a custom lighting pattern working now so there is a functioning level of comms there. iCue is reporting the presence of the H110i Elite cooler and when I click on that it reports the 2 fans and I can set whatever colour pattern I want so all the functionality I need is there, the only thing I think I am missing is the appearance of the Core device in iCue. I think the only problem that gives me is I cannot update firmware, but since everything seems to be working - do I actually care? 

I want the USB hub anyway as the 2 headers on this board are in an awkward spot so connecting one just to the hub is a tidier answer anyway.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Salsiccia said:

Cue is reporting the presence of the H110i Elite cooler and when I click on that it reports the 2 fans and I can set whatever colour pattern I want so all the functionality I need is there

OK, I misread your original post this morning.  What you're seeing is normal.  When the Elite series AIO pump is connected to the Commander Core, the device icon in CUE changes to the pump face.  This is the Commander Core.  If you were to connect a Commander Core without the pump cable attached, it would show as a "Commander" device in CUE without the pump picture and info.  The Elite is a bit different with all power, data, and RGB sent through that wide cable and also why the Commander Core is required to make it work.

Edited by c-attack

20 minutes ago, c-attack said:

... What you're seeing is normal ....

Ah, perfect, that explains it then - thanks so much for clarifying that.

So it does seem I am trying to solve a problem I don't actually have 🙂

I still want the USB hub anyway so that's not a problem - now I can stop worrying and get on with the next bit of playing.