Corsair Community

HX850 (V0) - Second EPS Cable

Tony_L

I have an ancient HX850, likely the first version - CMPSU-850HXAU - think it's the 80+ Silver one
https://www.corsair.com/medias/sys_master/images/images/h4b/h08/9110584328222/-CMPSU-850HX-Gallery-hx850-01.png

I realise it's ancient and it would be easier to grab a never version, but I wish to give it one last push of use with a Dual CPU system - but via specs it does not support a EPS modular cable

Is there a technical reason I can't make a new modular EPS and use one of the blue 'PCIE' ports?

EPS has 4x12V pins and 4x ground

PCIE has 3x12V pins and 5x ground.

If you used one of those you'd basically short circuit the PSU.

And i believe these HX didn't have yet the current standard corsair cabling (type 3 or 4) so, no idea what the actual pinout of those ports are.. maybe someone more knowledgeable with those older units can say.

• Corsair Employees
On 5/20/2022 at 11:42 PM, Tony_L said:

I have an ancient HX850, likely the first version - CMPSU-850HXAU - think it's the 80+ Silver one
https://www.corsair.com/medias/sys_master/images/images/h4b/h08/9110584328222/-CMPSU-850HX-Gallery-hx850-01.png

I realise it's ancient and it would be easier to grab a never version, but I wish to give it one last push of use with a Dual CPU system - but via specs it does not support a EPS modular cable

Is there a technical reason I can't make a new modular EPS and use one of the blue 'PCIE' ports?

That PSU had its EPS12V cable hardwired to the unit and the modular ports do not support EPS12V and only had modular PCIe and SATA cables that were unique to those units. As that PSU is going to be well beyond its expected lifespan and original 7 year warranty period it would be advisable to purchase a new PSU for your dual-CPU system project.