Corsair Community

Enhanced Pointer Precision randomly turning on for profiles

• Corsair Employee

If you have multiple profiles that you use depending on what you are doing, you will need to make sure that you disable the option manually in each profile. Disabling the option in one profile but not the others will result in the option turning on when you switch to those profiles.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:23 AM, Corsair Notepad said:

If you have multiple profiles that you use depending on what you are doing, you will need to make sure that you disable the option manually in each profile. Disabling the option in one profile but not the others will result in the option turning on when you switch to those profiles.

I have, but at random they will re-enable on random profiles.

I was having an issue with this as well in the early CUE 4 days. Ultimately a clean install was needed and I did not reimport the DPI profiles when loading the main profile. There was a change in how dpi profiles are managed at one point and if you have older profiles that crossed that line in history, it might have some odd baggage. It’s a bit of a pain to export all your current profiles and clean wipe, but the pointer precision stuff is pretty frustrating as well.  Don’t check DPI profiles on import. 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:17 PM, c-attack said:

I was having an issue with this as well in the early CUE 4 days. Ultimately a clean install was needed and I did not reimport the DPI profiles when loading the main profile. There was a change in how dpi profiles are managed at one point and if you have older profiles that crossed that line in history, it might have some odd baggage. It’s a bit of a pain to export all your current profiles and clean wipe, but the pointer precision stuff is pretty frustrating as well.  Don’t check DPI profiles on import. 

Oh man that's going to be a super big pain for me... I have about 60 profiles many with there own DPI profiles as well..... guess its time to backup everything and get the notepad out and note my DPI settings.... Ugh...

Regardless of what you decide to do, you might want to make a profile dump anyway.  If you rely on roll back or copies of the App Data folder, eventually you will get burned.  The good news is the exporting is a bit easier than it used to be and you will be able to work down the profile tree list without needing to make adjustments or take extra steps.  

6 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Regardless of what you decide to do, you might want to make a profile dump anyway.  If you rely on roll back or copies of the App Data folder, eventually you will get burned.  The good news is the exporting is a bit easier than it used to be and you will be able to work down the profile tree list without needing to make adjustments or take extra steps.  

Ya that is what I have been doing, file history backup. But I also apparently have to make a note of all the DPI settings I have while exporting the profiles. Also on a  side note. I moved from a lighting node to a commander XT and I have to redo all the lighting as apparently the fan light does not transfer.... But it is nice to have fan control based on GPU temp. just with I could do combo logic where they would ramp based on the CPU AND GPU but I digress.

The fan lighting will not automatically transfer because it can't distinguish between a "replacement controller" and a second controller added to the mix.  Exporting and reimporting will help when the controller is the same, but your profiles were never programmed for a Commander XT so there is no data. 

A possible workaround for this is to leave the old LN Core/Pro connected in addition the Commander XT.  It is not necessary to have any fans connected to the LNC/P, but in CUE designate it as "fan type x number" as it was before.  This will then show the lighting effects you previously created and allow you the option of transferring them over via the library copy and paste options.  Still a bit tedious and time consuming, but that data is stored in the profile and exported with it, so you can do this in bits and pieces slowly as needed.  Recreating 60 profiles at once is a rather monumental task.  

Edited by c-attack

On 5/24/2022 at 3:24 PM, c-attack said:

The fan lighting will not automatically transfer because it can't distinguish between a "replacement controller" and a second controller added to the mix.  Exporting and reimporting will help when the controller is the same, but your profiles were never programmed for a Commander XT so there is no data. 

A possible workaround for this is to leave the old LN Core/Pro connected in addition the Commander XT.  It is not necessary to have any fans connected to the LNC/P, but in CUE designate it as "fan type x number" as it was before.  This will then show the lighting effects you previously created and allow you the option of transferring them over via the library copy and paste options.  Still a bit tedious and time consuming, but that data is stored in the profile and exported with it, so you can do this in bits and pieces slowly as needed.  Recreating 60 profiles at once is a rather monumental task.  

Well this is going to be extremely annoying.... For whatever reason my exported profiles do not contain the key bindings I made, or really anything.... even the RGB is messed up, the ordering of the layers is not correct.... oh and the DPI issue persisted as well after making a handful of profiles by hand after fresh installing iCue twice.... its a good thing I still have that file history backup. restored from that and everything is back but the original issue of the DPI.

Going to do an experiment, I have wiped out all DPI profiles but the default. I have also made sure that all profiles have mouse acceleration disabled. After a day or two so there are a few games played, reboots, updates, the like I will see if any have mouse acceleration enabled again. If there are none I will add some of the DPI profiles back by hand and see if they break things.

On a side note, importing profiles to the backed up instance of iCue worked fine.... Have no idea why there where importing strange on the fresh install of iCue.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:27 AM, ETHREAL1 said:

Going to do an experiment, I have wiped out all DPI profiles but the default. I have also made sure that all profiles have mouse acceleration disabled. After a day or two so there are a few games played, reboots, updates, the like I will see if any have mouse acceleration enabled again. If there are none I will add some of the DPI profiles back by hand and see if they break things.

On a side note, importing profiles to the backed up instance of iCue worked fine.... Have no idea why there where importing strange on the fresh install of iCue.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:23 AM, Corsair Notepad said:

Ok, So after my experiments I have concluded that for whatever reason DPI profile relation to general iCue profiles is to blame. More specifically when switching between profiles with different DPI profiles. In fact I discovered that if switch quickly between multiple profiles all with different DPI profiles the DPI relations will get swapped. AKA if you have say P1 with DPIP1, P2 with DPIP2, and P3 with DPIP3 and you quickly swap between the 3 profiles you can end up with say P1 ending up with DPIP3 for some reason. This happens even if you don't change any settings by the looks of it. It also seems to do the same with the mouse acceleration. If one profile has or even at one time had it on and you switch profiles there is a chance that when the DPI profiles get swapped the state of the mouse acceleration can also be changed. So what was happening to me is definitely an iCue bug. It can also be reproduced on a machine that has never had iCue installed before that has had 3 profiles made and 3 different DPI profiles. I would post a video of this happening but it looks like these forums don't accept video files.

In short, iCue mouse settings are broked to crud and it needs to be fixed.

What I propose as a fix is to have the DPI profiles simply be part of the general profiles instead of having there own subset of DPI profiles. The only times I have had DPI profiles shared is the default, and Borderlands 2-3. in both cases what I do is just copy the entire profile and then modify it to fit the games needs. There is no reason the DPI settings have to be a separate profile database.

Edited by ETHREAL1

6 hours ago, ETHREAL1 said:

What I propose as a fix is to have the DPI profiles simply be part of the general profiles instead of having there own subset of DPI profiles.

This was the prior set-up and the change to the current system is the 'significant change' I referenced in my first post.  I can't answer to the pros and cons of one way or the other, but I believe it was about shrinking profile data size and reducing excess.  

I am not sure what is happening with the pointer precision.  I am not getting this, but I also purged by profiles when this happened some time back and I am terrified to turn it back on.  I really don't like it and it was a pain to get rid off.  There is another bug that has been floating around and I wonder if it is related to your profile switching error.  At present, when I change the "profile indicator color" in CUE to any color, it changes the profile color across all of my DPI settings.  Then when I actually change profiles using mouse or KB, it automatically resets them all to red and displays red on the mouse.  When I manually change profiles in the CUE profile tree, they follow the assigned color, but it is the same color for all profiles again.  I am wondering if there is a connection to your issue.  

Edited by c-attack

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

This was the prior set-up and the change to the current system is the 'significant change' I referenced in my first post.  I can't answer to the pros and cons of one way or the other, but I believe it was about shrinking profile data size and reducing excess.  

I think the way it is with the DPI having there own profiles is always how iCue has worked. Now before iCue with what was is.... corsair engine or whatever it was called I think it was baked into the general profiles. I've used iCue as long as it has existed.

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

There is another bug that has been floating around and I wonder if it is related to your profile switching error.  At present, when I change the "profile indicator color" in CUE to any color, it changes the profile color across all of my DPI settings.  Then when I actually change profiles using mouse or KB, it automatically resets them all to red and displays red on the mouse.  When I manually change profiles in the CUE profile tree, they follow the assigned color, but it is the same color for all profiles again.  I am wondering if there is a connection to your issue.

I think this is basically the same bug. I also see that behavior but the DPI amounts also change with them.

In other news there has been another development.... For whatever reason every time switch profiles a new set of my custom cooling curve profiles gets made on my commander core XT.... And I can not delete them.....

image.png.b71b0de29e5865fcfdaa46dd6632b7ed.png

I think Corsair has something majorly wrong with profiled database management.

Edited by ETHREAL1

Interesting development. I think iCue is not properly updating profile data.
image.thumb.png.938457d4dab3468c6828b3d90856d4b2.png

I have the DPI database on the bottom left, the iCue profile top left, (yes I'm sure this is the correct profile) as you can see in iCue when I manually activate the Division 2 DPI profile it is not updating the saved profile. I have highlighted the relevant DPI ID. the ID still saved to the iCue profile is the ID that is correlated to the "Default" DPI profile that is also listed in iCue.

Searching for the ID for the profile that should be "active" finds nothing. iCue is not updating profile data.

However, changing the "active" DPI profile in iCue does update the DPI database and what profile is considered "active".

I have also noticed that when swapping between profiles quickly then DPI databases "active" flags can get delayed or even missed witch is likely the issue that I am having. The profiles not saving and the DPI file being written to to slowly.

OK Corsair, I've done a LOT of investigating. Time for you to FIX IT.

Edited by ETHREAL1

Things are getting even more interesting. and in the process may have found a temporary solution. It appears to also matter if the iCue windows is currently open or not.

If I have a profile open in iCue and it has the wrong DPI profile if I change it and the change what iCue profile is being displayed the then DPI change will not be saved. But if you change the DPI profile, close iCues window, reopen the iCue window the DPI profile will be updated in the general profile. This also means however that you have to disassociate iCue profiles from programs so that you can close iCue and save the profile.

Edited by ETHREAL1