Corsair Community

iCue not recognizing pump speed, fans (h115i elite capellix)

Hi,

I was being stupid and i unplugged the pump tach cable while my pc was on. This led to the AIO's LEDs blinking red and the fans running at 100% speed. Upon plugging the tach cable back into the CPU_FAN header, the AIO is still doing the same thing while iCue shows a "Pump failure" error, claims the pump is at 0rpm and doesn't display the fans' speed. I tried resetting the commander core and power cycling my system, but iCue still doesn't recognize the pump speed correctly. The AIO is working perfectly, temps being only 4 degrees above ambient at idle. Worth noting is also that the motherboard doesn't show a CPU fan being plugged in, even though it used to prior to me unplugging the tach cable for the first time. 

I tried resetting the commander core again and this time it seems to have worked, the fans are showing up now, are being controlled properly and the red blinking has stopped. The pump however still shows up as 0RPM, even tho my cpu is literally 2°C above ambient...

• Corsair Employees

Did  you check the header itself by connecting a fan to it and seeing if it can read the RPM of a PWM fan, to make sure you didnt damage the header itself by removing the tach cable with the system running?

I had to make a second account because i reached my post limit for today. 

I'm not sure what i did to cause this but the the motherboard now recognizes the pump speed again and tells me it's around 2300rpm. iCue however still does not list the RGB LEDs in the pump and shows 0RPM for its speed. Keep in mind that i can control the pumps speed within iCue...

Posted (edited)

Try shutting down the system, flip the PSU switch off, then disconnect and reconnect the special wide cable on the Commander Core. That is data and power for the pump. Make sure the white mark lines up. Flip the PSU back on and boot up normally.  Besides checking the connection, this should also force the Commander Core to do a recheck. 

Edited by c-attack

After following the steps provided the AIO enters error mode again, flashing in red and blasting the fans at max. If I now temporarily unplug the mentioned wide cable again, the AiO enters "normal" operation with the same symptoms as before: The pump LEDs don't show up and the RPM is displayed at 0, while the pump itself works and audibly responds to the "quiet/balanced/extreme" settings in iCue.

Posted (edited)

I would start a support ticket now. There are a couple of these floating around and I have not seen a solution if the power reset doesn’t work. A forced firmware flash might work, but you can’t access the device when it’s doing the alarm state “pump fail” stuff. Support may give you a firmware file you can force load a different way. 

The tachometer cable is there to satisfy the motherboard’s safety feature. It’s not there to provide the data to CUE and the AIO should be fully functional with the tach disconnected. 

Edited by c-attack

Starting a support ticket was actually the first thing I did and I've received an answer instructing me to do a very similar power cycle. Doing the power cycle their way made the pump's LEDs sometimes show up in the iCue software again, but the software still thinks that the Pump is running at 0RPM. I can actually exit the alarm pump state mode by temporarily disconnecting the Pump cable from the Comander core, causing the pump to operate normally but then the LEDs on the pump usually don't show up. I'm now waiting on an answer from them after I've done the steps they gave me. 

Your second paragraph confuses me a bunch as disconnecting the tach cable, plugging it into the pump header on my MB and reconnecting it to the CPU fan header was the only thing I did to cause this AFAIK.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nbsam said:

I can actually exit the alarm pump state mode by temporarily disconnecting the Pump cable from the Comander core

Don’t do this. It stops the alarm state because it doesn’t know there is a pump there anymore as you’ve severed the data and power to the pump. What you have then is a Commander Core and no AIO cooling. It turns the false pump fail into a real one. Reconnecting the power/data cable to a live Commander Core is not a good idea.  

There are a number of these false pump failures reported and it is a larger problem than if you moved the tachometer wire, which is not the source of any pump failure warning. The warning comes from the firmware/software. It’s not transmitted from the motherboard. 

Edited by c-attack

Having the same issue on my H115i Elite capellix. Tried all possible trouble shooting and ways to fix, but all out of luck. Still waiting someone to respond my email so I can request for a RMA. That's extremely disappointed.

• Corsair Employees
44 minutes ago, HandsomeSen said:

Having the same issue on my H115i Elite capellix. Tried all possible trouble shooting and ways to fix, but all out of luck. Still waiting someone to respond my email so I can request for a RMA. That's extremely disappointed.

Make sure you have double-checked the connection between the pump and the Commander Core and that it isn't loose at all.