Corsair Community

CMX256A-3200LLPT (XMS3205v1.2) Has Issues

Could not get a system to run prime95 for more than 1 - 10 minutes and checked psu, hsf, mem, gpu, etc.

It seems my "matched" pair of Corsair CMX256A-3200LLPT (XMS3205v1.2) has issues. :[pouts: Checking each stick individually in memtest-86 v3.0 one stick had 3 errors starting at 6.6 meg :eek: in the same areas in 4 passes and the second stick was running two errors in basically the same area after three passes (at which time I stopped the test).

Replaced those two sticks with 2 x 256 CMX256A-3200 (XMS3200v1.1) ran memtest and prime for several hours and seems to be going strong, even the cpu seems to be running cooler!?

System is:

Chaintech 7NIL1 w/ 2600+ T'Bred (Gladiator HSF)

Antec TrueBlu 350W

BBA 9600XT

And above mentioned memory

EDIT All settings are "stock"

Case currently is a table top as I'm testing everyting before shoe horning :roll: into an acrylic mATX case

Memory in question is TWINX512-3200LLPT Lot# 0409128

Is this a RMA issue?

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the memory frequency at 100% or in sync with your CPU as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Also this table may help as well.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

Thanks RAM Guy, tried the two sticks in question singularly and in duel mode in the following system as the 7NIL1 mATX board in the other system does not allow much in adjustments. Also this would allow another environment!

AN7-S Rev 2 w/ Sempron 3000+

XFX 5900XT

Enermax 450W

Etc, etc, etc

All settings (to the best of my ability & knowledge) were as you suggested and both sticks failed memtest. One just took a little longer than the other (30 seconds!) Why would the 2 x 256 CMX256A-3200 (XMS3200v1.1) sticks "work" and these not?

• Corsair Employees
Do you have a 333FSB CPU? If so that may explain the errors with both modules. But normally getting errors with both modules would suggest some other problem. Can you test them in another system?

Archived