Corsair Community

Faulty Chip

I have 2 Corsair VS512MB333/LOT 0343211 memory chips. The computer worked fine with those chips for about 2 years. However, last week I started getting memory error message such as "can not access certain memory blocks". The system stated to crash frequently and the hard drive needed to be checked and repaired for lost clusters. It came to the point where the comuter would not boot up anymore and we had to start from scratch and re-install everything. First however we tested the motherboard and then the hard drive, and they all worked out fine. We took one of the two memory chips out of the computer and we still had the problem. Then we exchanged the memory chips with the one we took out and the computer worked just fine. As an additional test we put back the second memory chip to have both of them installed and the problems started right away again. We removed the faulty mempry chip and the system is working fine now. We want to get he chip replaced please.

Thanks

Werner J Bertsch

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

As mentioned on my e-mail I have already tried your suggestion. One of the memory chips has a problem while the other one works just fine. As soon as we switch them or add the faulty chip to the computer, we have a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
You replaced the faulty chip for me thank you. However, whe the new chip came in and I tested it it showed a problem with accessing certain addresses when running the memory test. What are the odds that 2 chips have a problem. However, I have another chip from you, same size same model and it runs just fine. I run the memory test with the old chip and everything works fine. I run the same tets with the new chip and the test shows problems. In the same bank jsut to make sure. :idea: What are the odds that 2 chips have a problem (allthough different addresses)?

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? And if you have 2 modules what slots do you have them in?

I can give you all the information in a few days when I shot down the system. However, at this time I do not see how it will help you to resolve the problem. The sytem worked fine for 2 years with all chips installed. Only recently did this problem come up. So we started testing everything and when we took out that one RAM chip, the problem went away. You then exchanged the chip but before installing it we run a memorytest on the new RAM you sent to us. It reported a problem with certain memory addresses. We certaindly did not install the new faulty chip in the computer. Byt the way just to make sure this is not a motherbaord issue, we run a memory test on the RAM we have currently install (same model as the one that you replaced), and the test came our OK. All I'm asking is to exchange the RAM one more time since it showed problem right away when it came it.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
First thing, since you had a problem and replaced the memory and still have the problem. That would suggest some other problem. I do not know what that might be with out knowing more detailed information. And just changing the memory may not solve the problem long term. In other words, you might change the modules and find a combo that might work but that would still suggest there may be some other issue. It's up to you it is not my money so if you just want to change parts then by all means please reply to the email you got from customer service and ask them to help you get the new modules replaced again. Hey it might solve the problem. But I have reservations about the issue returning even if changing the module works for now. However, they will likely ask you to talk to our Tech Support first.

I dissagree with you that the problem could be somewhere else. I'm running the memory test with 2 identical chips on the same bank. One Ram chip has no problem, the other (the new one you sent me) does have a problem. There is just no other way then to point this to a bad memory chip.

Archived