Corsair Community

5000x build frustration..

Really wished that I had known that I wouldn't be able to do a push/pull config in the top of this case before I purchased it. This is my first build since 2018 and I was extremely excited about it. I picked up a H150i LCD, and extra Commander XT, 3 extra ML RGB Elite fans for the rad, 6 QL fans, and setup the QL fans in the front and side panels. I did all the cable management for the QL fans and got it looking so clean... and then went to setup the rad and ML fans push pull in the top simply to realize it's completely impossible! I even have flexible individually sleeved cables, but there's just no way a push/pull setup will work in the top of this case,and im frustrated that it's even advertised as such on the Corsair site and in videos on YouTube. It's a tight squeeze with a single row of fans, let alone two. There's just not enough clearance for the CPU power headers, or the heatsinks on my Hero Xiii Apex. 

Now I'm very torn on what to do. Aesthetically, I was really looking forward to the the QL fans setup in front and the lighting patterns Id make in iCue. But now I may have to do the push/pull setup in the front.. Which would require me to remove the front QL fans, and the rad/fans would be blocking most of the side mounted QL fans. What a bummer.. Kinda wishing I could have sprung for the 7000x case instead...but I was already over-budget. 

Another factor that I hadn't considered at the time is my gpu. Recently upgraded from a 2070 to a 3080ti. Im seeing people here in the forums mentioning higher cpu temps with top mount rad setups because of all the additional heat the 3k series gpus dump into the case... So maybe Id be better off with the less-pleasing-to-the-eye front rad mounting with the ML fans...

I mean sure I could put the QL fans on the rad to make it look nicer from the front, but cooling performance would definitely suffer, and I've already got 6 ML RGB Elites for the push/pull config. Im frustrated and not sure how to go about finishing this build now.. 

• Corsair Employees

For a push pull configuration at the top of the case, which will work, you will need to have a row of fans on the opposite side of the chassis. Think of it this way bottom-to-top... Fans > Rad > Chassis Frame > Fans

At the same time you are not likely to see a real benefit to a push pull configuration on the cooler, and you will run into additional fan and air turbulence noise.

I thought about doing the push/pull on top with one row of fans on the outside of the chassis, but then when i tried laying out the fans on top I realized there would be only a few mm of space between the back of the fans and the top glass panel, which seemed like a bad idea to me. If I had the Airflow top panel it would likely work out just fine that way, but with the glass it seems much too restrictive. 

As far as noise goes, I'm actually totally fine with lots of fan noise. They've never bothered me. I have pretty bad Tinnitus, so making my PC run silent has never been a priority to me. I like the sounds of the fans. Helps drown out the ringing. 

Has anyone actually tried mounting the 2nd row of fans on the outside of the top of the case? Id really like to know if this has been tested. Because it looks much to restrictive with the glass panel on top when I line it all up. There's really only a few mm of clearance for airflow between the fan and the glass. Wouldn't be a problem with the airflow top panel, but the glass? Idk.... 

On 5/18/2022 at 7:57 AM, SinisterDev said:

Has anyone actually tried mounting the 2nd row of fans on the outside of the top of the case? Id really like to know if this has been tested. Because it looks much to restrictive with the glass panel on top when I line it all up. There's really only a few mm of clearance for airflow between the fan and the glass. Wouldn't be a problem with the airflow top panel, but the glass? Idk.... 

Something like this ?

He routed the cpu power cable through the side first, tho i dunno if Apex's pointy heatsink count as 30,5 cm to whole mobo or few cm more.